F1

Top Gear at the Circuit de Catalunya building site and revised Silverstone, 1991

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

While looking for something else I came across this 20-year-old video clip of Top Gear previewing the Circuit de Catalunya which was under construction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXQvhoXbIlQ

Wouldn’t mind seeing the rest of the video as well – Tiff Needell tackling ’91-spec Silverstone in a Le Mans Jaguar!

ECWDanSelby
    Participant

Viola!

ECWDanSelby
    Participant

Tell you what, it’s really cool the way they show all the changes at Silverstone.

Round each modified turn, they show a little 90’s style plain graphic showing the original corner, and the modified corner.

It’s also interesting to see this first rendition of the changes compared to the late 00’s (the ‘arena’ complex with Bridge etc).

SirCoolbeans
    Participant

Those laps by Tiff at the “new” Silverstone layout were fantastic to watch. They were such great changes to the circuit.

ECWDanSelby
    Participant

In a way, i’d agree. Heinsight’s such a strange thing.

I actually love the 80’s layout (even with the end chicane). It was so unique, so quick. I’d love to see how a modern F1 race would pan out there now.

The 1991 Brooklands/Luffield was a right mess. They improved it later but Luffield is still a pretty tedious corner.

Abbey and Bridge were great in this form but they didn’t last long – the chicane built at Abbey in 1994 ruined it. That’s why I don’t get people complaining about them getting rid of Bridge in 2010 – the corner had the edge taken off it years ago:

See: https://www.racefans.net/2008/01/16/f1-circuits-history-part-12-1994/

But the building of Maggots/Becketts/Chapel was utterly inspired. A brilliant and still under-rated sequence.

And boy does that Jaguar look like a handful! Love the cheeky ‘XXXX’! at the end.

S.J.M
    Participant

Wasnt the XJR-15 a bit naff? Pretty to look at though.

If nothing else, the XJR-15 gave us the genesis of the XJ220, a car which is a highlight of my childhood poster-cars.

matt90
    Participant

I used to hate Luffield, but now Brooklands is faster I prefer it as it allows the cars to stay a little closer together through it, especially in the wet when it allows them to hassle each other. I still hate it on games though.

Chalky
    Participant

Old TopGear. Fantastic. Made me feel young again. Next thing you’ll be digging out a clip of William Woollard on the Lombard RAC Rally highlights show with the iconic theme tune that went with it.

Chalky
    Participant

Ok I’ll do it then…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.