F1

TV coverage of Vettel at Singapore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

I just realized this from another post somewhere where someone mentioned that Vettel won the race by a mile at Singapore yet he got almost no tv coverage and looking back at the race after the 1st corner we didn’t see much of Vettel. If it weren’t for the safety cars, we may not have watched him at all until the finish line. I find it quite ironic:-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is not as interesting to watch one guy by himself lapping, as to the on track battles going on. he would have had screen time if he had been fighting for his lead. What I don’t like is when they film people in the garages watching the t.v coverage instead of filming the cars.

Jon Sandor
    Participant

I’m not sure what TV coverage you were looking at, but he got plenty of coverage that I saw. At least as much as Alonso or Rosberg. Keep grasping at straws, Michael.

Meander
    Participant

Well, one thing I can say about them showing Vettel: they didn’t bother to show anybody else crossing the finish!!! That was horrible.

Showing the leader in a dominant season can also have a negative side. I still shudder when I think about the 1992 season, with nothing on TV but Mansell leading for lap after lap after lap.

Michael
    Participant

@Jon_Sandor Just curious, what TV coverage were you watching?

Matthijs
    Participant

@freelittlebirds It would be funny if sponsors refuse to invest in RedBull, because they do not get any tv coverage. ;)

Matthijs
    Participant

Would be interesting to know which driver has had the most tv coverage throughout the year

crr917
    Participant

Compared to previous years the leader gets a lot of coverage regardless who that might be. In 2011 we would see Vettel at the start, when he pits and when he takes the flag. In Singapore we saw much more than that.

Michael
    Participant

@Matthijs That would be funny!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am pretty sure that the TV producer is employed to show the most entertaining race they can! That would mean more overtaking battles rather than Seb at the front.
    All sponsors want to get as much bang for their buck and TV coverage is obviously the key.
    We now know why Rocky tells Seb to “save your tyres”, its no race strategy but to get Reb Bull on the TV more LOL :)

mnmracer
    Participant

Whether it’s Kimi, Fernando, Lewis or Vettel 10 seconds out in front, it seems they pretty much get the same amount of air time this year.

Michael
    Participant

@Garns I never realized this but technically getting attention to your car is worth money because you can go back to your sponsors and show them the exposure your car got especially with close shots which are “live commercials”.

That is hilarious – all the midfield teams should be complaining about issues to their drivers so that the director takes close shots. They could even do product placement transmissions. “There is some debris stuck on the Shell decal on your front wing. The Santander rear wing is working great!!!”

Jon Sandor
    Participant

There was a painter named Claude Monet who spent his entire career painting water-lilies. You remind me a bit of that painter, Michael. Do you have anything to say on the subject of F1 which is not some variation of “Grrr, I don’t like that Vettel”? Thoughts on “Taxi-gate” perhaps? On the new technical regs for next year? There is much more to F1 than the one individual you are fixated on.

Perhaps it only seemed to you that the camera was not paying much attention to SV because he looms so very large in your own mind?

DC
    Participant

So why is it a bad thing that a driver who is leading by quite a margin gets only marginal coverage?
    They did show him cross the line and his usual yes! yes! thank you guys…

It is called race coverage so they should show some actual racing, rather than a single driver, no matter who he is.

@meander You are right about that – i really wanted to see more of the Webber/Alonso taxi ride.
    Also is that really true about 92 – even if there was some good racing down the grid?

Michael
    Participant

@Jon_Sandor Thank you for the compliment, it’s quite an honor to be compared to Claude Monet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.