• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 2 hours, 29 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Video: Schumacher cutting the track to hold up Hamilton

This topic contains 24 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Asanator Asanator 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Jake
    Participant

@mnmracer Just because they are the rules, doesn’t mean the rules are fair. Yes, according to the rules Hamilton’s demotion was correct, but, in my opinion their is something wrong with the rules when one driver can have complete disregard for the safety of others, performing immature, dangerous and stupid stunts, and receive effectively nothing, whilst another can do nothing wrong, with his team making a slight error that had no bearing on the results gets demoted from pole to last.

PaulM
    Participant

I have to say, after watching the Schumacher / Senna incident again, that I do not blame Schumacher for his anger at Senna. Although only a slight movement, Senna did move right which would have caused Schumacher to assume he was covering the inside line and therefore the best way to pass would be on the outside, only for Senna to move back onto the racing line. Schumacher tried to come back in, but the closing speed was too much. If Senna had stayed on the inside, Schumacher could clearly have braked later (Senna would have been on the marbles and therefore HAD to brake earlier), and Schumacher would have cruised round the (cleaner) outside / racing line. The rule states that once you move to the inside, you cannot move back to the racing line. It does not provide details, such as how much movement constitutes a move to the inside, and therefore I would have to say that Senna played a big part in the racing incident.

Todfod
    Participant

@Kingshark thanks. Managed to get a hold of the video somehow.

Schumacher seems really bitter with that move. It didn’t look like Hamilton was intentionally blocking him or spoiling his lap in anyway.

I’m guessing it’s not easy for a 7 time WDC to be outclassed by more than half of the current grid. His frustrations of not being able to perform must be getting to him, especially after his teammate just gave Mercedes their 1st ever win, while he stands behind Felipe Massa in the standings.

These antics from Schumacher are nothing new, and honestly I’m not that surprised by it. I’m pretty sure he will do something stupid in Monaco as well… and hopefully Mercedes will dump him for a better and faster driver soon.

Funkyf1
    Participant

Stupid is as stupid does. Intentionally dangerous, total disregard for safety, deserves a ban. Brings to mind the old saying, act your age not your shoe size!

Joey-Poey
    Participant

@pmelton Watch Senna’s move. Then go back and watch Schumacher vs Hamilton at Monza 2011. Senna left a car width on the outside. These are the same tactics Schumacher used. If Michael wants to criticize Senna for moving, he needs to hold himself to the same standard. Senna’s move was within the rules.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

The Schumacher/Senna collision has already been done to death here:

Schumacher given grid penalty for Senna collision

Please post any further comments on that there, and leave this thread for discussion of the Schumacher/Hamilton incident.

Mads
    Participant

Certainly quite naughty by Schumacher. And I don’t really see why he would feel the need to do something like that. But I don’t think it needs a penalty. It wasn’t that dangerous.
    Hamilton had a clear view of what was going on, and it was at very low speed, so had they collided nothing would have happened.
    I telling off by the stewards is fine, I hate to see drivers penalized for things unless it really is dangerous.
    This certainly was on purpose, but it was hardly dangerous.

Slr
    Participant

I’m guessing it’s not easy for a 7 time WDC to be outclassed by more than half of the current grid. His frustrations of not being able to perform must be getting to him, especially after his teammate just gave Mercedes their 1st ever win, while he stands behind Felipe Massa in the standings.

Wow, that’s incredibly harsh.

I think a grid penalty should have been given to Schumacher for that. It didn’t look terribly dangerous, but road rage should not be part of Formula One.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

The 2012 review on Blu-Ray has a clip from Schumacher’s radio after he held up Hamilton which wasn’t broadcast at the time:

I’m coming in ***** ***** we have to talk to Charlie about it, I mean he’s in front of me then he cruises after turn ten and then suddenly he picked up his speed. ***** my lap.

Asanator
    Participant

Yeah there was clearly more to it than was shown at the time.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.