F1

Video: Vettel’s Singapore 2012 helmet with flashing LEDs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Sebastian Vettel was wearing a special helmet with flashing LEDs on top during practice at Singapore today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrR0I7Tjb6c

Apparently the lights arrangement on top is different constellations of stars.

damonsmedley
    Participant

Ted Kravitz said on Sky that they are the constellations attached to his siblings & parents’ birth dates. Awww…

Carlitox
    Participant

Now that’s something new :O really love it.

celeste
    Participant

I love this helmet… is really cool and nice tip about the constellations @damonsmedley

matt90
    Participant

Almost as gaudy as when Hamilton had one covered in diamonds.

dot_com
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be slightly distracting if that was flashing in your mirrors? You’d almost expect a siren to accompany it.

James_mc
    Participant

Well, I am impressed! I was scathing of the “helmet to mark yet another helmet design design” of the other week – a self-importance piece of ego-feeding.

However this one is just excellent! Top marks to Vettel!

An aside – I wonder how this works with respect to the structure of the helmet? (Or indeed driver safety etc., has been noted above the distraction of it!)

Kingshark
    Participant

Finally a good new helmet for Vettel!

Pelican
    Participant

I’m kind of stunned – I wonder how it looks on the racetrack. wrt the structure and safety, the LED’s, battery, and wiring are probably pretty tiny, so it could just sit on top of the outer functional layer, and it wouldn’t be too expensive to crash-test the whole set-up. I think I read that the diamond helmets were for show only, because to use it in a race, they would have to be strength tested diamonds and all.

Altrim
    Participant

cool

Adam Tate
    Participant

That’s awesome. People knock Vettel for his antics, all the helmet designs, the dreaded finger, but at least he feels comfortable enough to show off his personality. It adds a bit of character and light hearted fun to the series. Plus LEDs are just cool. They are already set to be the future of every conceivable type of lighting, but for someone to stick em on a helmet is definitely inspired.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Congratulations, Sebastian. You’ve somehow managed to make your helmet designs even tackier.

BrawnGP
    Participant

The problem is that its powered by redbulls KERS… so it won’t last a whole race…

robk23
    Participant

From what I saw in FP2, the LEDs are on top of the helmet and then the top design is a layer of vinyl (or similar) which goes over the top of the LEDs. The top of the helmet was bumpy so this clearly has no effect at all on the structural rigidity.

Abidal
    Participant

Nice helmet, i think this is start of that helmet’s in f-1, or something like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.