F1

Webber: Alonso deserved to win

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    KevinC
    Participant

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85638

Hypocritical, really, with all he has been saying about wanting a ‘fair and equal shot at the championship’.

Steph90

It does sound hyprocritcal on the face of it but “Obviously they had a decision in the team where the fastest guy in the team wins the race.”

Fernando = fastest and therefore deserves it with that arrangement.

David-A
    Participant

Hypocritical on the face of it from Mark. And every other body part of it in my opinion.

I’m just hoping Alonso can shrug off this furore with a better win this weekend.

Katy
    Participant

Sounds very hypocritical. In fact it makes him look a bit silly really. He’s assuming they have an understanding where the faster guy is allowed to win, but they’re not saying that. If he thinks that kind of thing is a good idea why didn’t he move out of Seb’s way in Turkey?

SoLiDG
    Participant

He makes sense imo. I can understand why Ferrari did it aswell, but I don’t like it!

Katy
    Participant

I hope Alonso retires in the next race and Massa wins, then Ferrari’s decision will look stupid and show that it wasn’t right.

US_Peter
    Participant

Total hypocrite.

Steph90

Just my opinion here which may have came from me being bored of having a go at what happened :P

In RBR Horner has said lots of times that they are allowed to race and it isn’t about who is the fastest. It isn’t about whether he thinks it is a good idea just what he thinks the situation is at Ferrari.

He’s making a assumption (maybe Flav or Alo said something or he’s just barking up the wrong tree) that the Ferrari arrangement is different and within that arrangement it meant Alo should be the winner. I don’t think his words were wise but I can see what he means.

Actually, to be honest Katy, a dnf can easily happen through anything so it would mean much more to me if Massa thoroughly outpace Alonso.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

This is why I like drivers like Webber and Alonso – they say what they want, not what they think other people want to hear.

Katy
    Participant

My point was more that there’s a lot left of the year and anything can happen, so it was wrong to make a call like this with so many races left.

Ads21
    Participant

I think the priciple of the call was that Ferrari have an agreement post Australia that if one driver is clearly quicker they are allowed past. The way to test it is doing what Alonso did, drop back to 3 seconds but then charge back to under a second behind and getting in the dirty air to prove he was faster. It was explained by Allen and implied by Webber and seems like quite a reasonable arrangement really

Journeyer
    Participant

WAS he clearly quicker, though? I don’t think so. Massa was able to match his pace. He was trading FLaps with him.

Thing is, Katy, I think Ferrari are worried that they’d end up supporting someone too late in the season. They want to make the decision now while the championship is still in their hands.

Ads21, in the words of Murray Walker, catching is one thing, passing quite another.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

But if Alonso WAS deliberately dropping back and catching up to prove his pace as per a pre race agreement, then he must have been very confident of his pace. To my recollection he dropped back and caught up three times – though one of the time losses was a small error.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.