F1

webbers race in brazil

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sbl on tour
    Participant

was a bit disapointed with webber yesterday, was expecting more from him, thought he would have got stuck in a bit… aka mansell

any views on this?

sblot

VettelS

Well he did have engine heating problems in the second half of the race, but ultimately he just doesn’t have the pace of Vettel. We’ve seen it time and time again this year- Webber may be the clever driver, the one with more experience, but Vettel is just in a league of his own in terms of out right speed.

Vettel will gain experience and become a better racer with time; but unfortunately for Mark, sheer speed is something that you can’t learn.

Icthyes
    Participant

Repeating myself here but he was closing in on him before traffic and the SC.

VettelS

Repeating myself here but he was closing in on him before traffic and the SC.

True, but Vettel pulled out a lot of time at the start, and to be honest, I’m sure he could have done the same again if he saw Webber as a real threat.

Scribe
    Participant

Vettle raced a good controlled race but he was lucky that taffic and the saftey car interfered at a time when Webber was making a few tenths on him per lap. He was also lucky to have got past Hulkenburg straight away.

Other than that it was the usual car over talent Vettle victory.

VettelS

Vettle raced a good controlled race but he was lucky that taffic and the saftey car interfered at a time when Webber was making a few tenths on him per lap. He was also lucky to have got past Hulkenburg straight away.

Other than that it was the usual car over talent Vettle victory.

So you’re saying that if Webber had got passed Hulkenberg quicker and if the SC had come at a more convenient time, the result would have been different? I don’t buy it.

Vettel has always had the pace over Webber this season, and it wouldn’t have been any different in Brazil. It may have been a little closer- Vettel may have been forced to work a little harder- but ultimately Webber would never have been close enough to pass.

Scribe
    Participant

I’m saying Vettle never had to face any real preassure during the race and when preassure looked to be a comming, circumstances intervened. And to say Vettle has always had the pace over this season just ain’t true as we’ve already had the technical explanation for why Webber was outpacing him midseason.

We also know that the car has now been upgraded again and now suits Vettle more, (don’t get me wrong i’m not suggesting this was done to favour Vettle, this sort of thing just happens) for a supposed superstar Vettle hasn’t beaten Webber by anywhere near the margin the real deal would have done, for a supposed qualifying king Webber is usually within three tenths or less.

Point is, Vettle has never made a decent pass thats amounted to anything at a point where it mattered, despite having bags of pace over his rivals in Germany and Singapore, his only truly impressive victory was Monza 08, and literally everysingle win he’s had since has been to qualify front row or close due to superior equipment, lead after the first corner and controll the race from the front. Boring, get Kub Ham or Alo in the other car and they’d wipe the floor with him.

Fer no.65
    Participant

We saw with Hulkenberg and Hamilton: if the one leading doesn’t want to be overtaken, then he won’t, unless he makes a driver error or something.

Mark was on Seb’s pace yesterday. Surely Seb had something more just in case Mark got too close, but i don’t think Mark was totally beaten.

Yes, Vettel gets soemthing more out of the car when it matters, but Mark’s not cruising around. At qualy, he’s usually less than a tenth behind Seb.

Icthyes
    Participant

I’m sure he could have done the same again if he saw Webber as a real threat.

But Webber was a real threat and he didn’t do the same. We saw in Korea Vettel isn’t the kind of driver to let someone pull up to almost 2 seconds behind before trying to sprint away again.

sw6569
    Participant

Mark kept getting held up around turn 6 where he was losing sometimes a whole second a lap. I think he probably had the faster race pace (perhaps not outright pace) but because of safety cars and lapped cars he couldn’t get near him. The backmarkers were so poor in Brazil, but I suppose thats a consequence of the whole field being held up behind Hulkenberg at the beginning.

Whether Mark would have been able to overtake Vettel is another matter, but I think it would have been pretty close all else being equal. I’m not entirely sure I buy the engine overheating story, but thats another point entirely…!

James_mc
    Participant

Despite continually hitting traffic at bad bits of the track, Webber was closing on Vettel as they worked through the traffic which would suggest to me again that Vettel is awesome with clear air but not so strong when there is traffic, even the type which moves out of the way after 4 blue flags.

I was disappointed that Webber couldn’t make an impression after the SC once he’d cleared the traffic, but quite simply Vettel is too good in clear air

plushpile
    Participant

Mark kept getting held up around turn 6 where he was losing sometimes a whole second a lap. I think he probably had the faster race pace (perhaps not outright pace) but because of safety cars and lapped cars he couldn’t get near him. The backmarkers were so poor in Brazil, but I suppose thats a consequence of the whole field being held up behind Hulkenberg at the beginning.

yep, for proof look at the RBR race review and zoom in from laps 27-50 (pit stops to SC)

MW continually closed down Vettel then got caught in trafic. It was down to 1.5 sec when they caught Massa. Massa let Vettel past at T4 and then didn’t let Webber through until T1, thats a long way behind lap traffic…

I really think the SC, or the SC rules, robbed us of a great scrap for the win in the closing stages.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.