F1

Wet tyre test

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dan
    Participant

Just read an article saying that pirelli want the rules changed to have an addtional test at the start of the season focusing soley on wet tyre testing.

This is a good idea as that way better tyres can be developed to help prevent another Bianchi at Suzuka type accident. As well as this could also only be for young drivers giving them valuble time and experience.

However a significant downside is can the teams afford another test as this would increase costs

What are your thoughts?

Mackeine Loveine
    Participant

@f1fanf1fan Fair enough to be honest. Watching the drivers sliding around everywhere in Suzuka was kinda exciting, but I imagine that they must have been annoyed with that aspect.

Matthijs
    Participant

I don’t really see how better tyres would have prevented the Bianchi-accident. With better tyres the drivers will just drive faster, because they will always drive close to the limit. I feel Bianchi spun because of worn tyres in combination with loss of concentration (because of the yellow flags) and a little too much speed.

Strontium
    Participant

It is very important that they can do that to improve that tyre, which definitely needs doing. If teams refuse, or don’t back them and support them, then they only have themselves to blame if something goes wrong with them.

Vortex Motio
    Participant

@Matthijs I believe you’re correct that improved wet weather tires would not have prevented the Bianchi accident.

The reason why the Bianchi accident report suggested that Pirelli be granted an annual wet tire test is because the performance window of this year’s full wets was too narrow, whereas the intermediates had a good, wide performance window. The result was that everyone hesitated to put on full wets during any wet session or race.

Pirelli noted that not only were they unable to test their wet and intermediate tires (which is immensely helpful for any race tire developer), but also they’ve not been given any guidelines as to what conditions the full wets would be used… that is to say, at what approximate amount / rate of precipitation will the safety car be deployed, and likewise a red flag?

Given the weather phenomena we’ve seen worldwide over the last few months and years, an annual single wet tire test session is the minimum that should be granted.

Dan
    Participant

https://www.racefans.net/members/matthijs/ I agree with you completely as a lot of work has been done on improving car/ driver safety but not a lot on tyres. For example 2013 British grand prix with all those punctures, it was good luck that no driver was hurt with flying debris

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.