Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 16 hours, 36 minutes ago

F1 discussion

What can be done about Marina Bay? (mainly, Turn 10, the Singapore Sling)

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Prisoner Monkeys Prisoner Monkeys 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Icthyes
    Participant

No, the Sling is the chicane at turn 10. It’s there to stop cars from crashing headlong into the barrier on the outside of the circuit, because there is no runoff area to catch cars.

It is also there to slow down the approach to the corners before the bridge (which is what I meant to say, but was too ambiguous about it). If it was a normal corner, the braking zone for the next corner would be heavier and there’s not a great deal of run-off there either.

In the event that I made that up and imagined hearing that reason (which I expect I did, come to think of it) your right-hander would be at a small crossroads and would have exactly the same issue of a lack of run-off and therefore need its own sling.

Icthyes’ design changes nothing about the Sling

Except for the part where I say what I would change about it. I think if you can make the entry tighter but open up the other bits enough so that the bumps don’t have to be attacked, you could achieve the same low exit speeds and make it safer at the same time. It’s an awful POS corner and short of making it a one-lane only left-hander (to give enough space, though two cars approaching would be as frightening as in Eau Rouge) or getting permission to move the wall back (which won’t happen) there’s not much that can be done about it.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Except for the part where I say what I would change about it. I think if you can make the entry tighter but open up the other bits enough so that the bumps don’t have to be attacked, you could achieve the same low exit speeds and make it safer at the same time.

But you don’t physically remove the chicane.

djdaveyp85
    Participant

This is what I’d do to both solve the issue of the car slinger corner and increase overtaking on the track:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5113000

Am I the only one who likes the Sling?

Yes, it’s bonkers, but if the drivers make a mistake, they are punished. Shouldn’t we have more corners that are challenging in Formula 1?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Shouldn’t we have more corners that are challenging in Formula 1?

There’s challenging, and there’s challenging. And then there’s the Singapore Sling. I’m all for corners that really test the drivers, but I feel the Sling is unnatrual, and I think a lot of people would agree with me there.

This is what I’d do to both solve the issue of the car slinger corner and increase overtaking on the track

Um, that’s not the Sling. The Singapore Sling is the junction between St. Andrew’s Road and Fullerton Road, right next to the Supreme Court – which you have as a single corner. There’s not enough run-off for that kind of corner, which is why the Sling was introduced in the first place.

And as for the junction between Connaught Road and Fullerton Road, it’s a single lane, and thus far too narrow for Formula 1.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.