F1

What is the impact on F1 if TV coverage in the UK is reduced or stopped?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If F1 ‘Free To Air’ racing, qualifying & testing is no longer shown or has such limited coverage as to significantly reduce the UK interest in F1 how likely is it that

1) The UK based teams will move elsewhere

2) UK sponsorship is significantly reduced

3) Manufacturers and teams notice a significant reduction in their commercial

products

4) The UK race is stopped because it is no longer commercially viable

Discuss ?

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

<blockquote.1) The UK based teams will move elsewhere

That’s incredibly unlikely. Heathrow Airposrt is the single most accessible point on the face of the earth. A lot of teams base themselves in England simply because it’s an easy gateway to the rest of the world. Plus, there’s a whole lot of motorsport-related knowledge and facilities in England.

It’s possible this will happen, but is based on the assumption that no-one will watch the sport on Sky.

3) Manufacturers and teams notice a significant reduction in their commercial products

I don’t really see how this could be an issue at all, because the manufacturers and teams don’t only sell those products to Britain.

So long as Silverstone keeps turning a profit, the race will keep going. Since the circuit gets no money from broadcasters – or if they do, they don’t get much – because the broadcasters pay FOM to set up their footage, not the BRDC, it won’t be an issue.

George
    Participant

I mostly agree with PM but for different reasons, here goes:

1) The UK based teams will move elsewhere

Unlikely, the teams are there because of the surrounding infrastructure rather than the fans.

What UK sponsorship?

3) Manufacturers and teams notice a significant reduction in their commercial products

Probably a noticeable reduction, especially for teams like McLaren with a strong British fanbase.

I would expect Silverstone to see out it’s contract at least, I doubt if it is dropped it will be down to fans anyway. I think the GP will probably hold it’s attendance better relatively to the viewing figures.

Already being discussed on the main site, duplicate thread closed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.