F1

What is this pit crew doing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hays33d
    Participant

Hey everyone:

A bit of a newbie, relatively, in terms of F1 knowledge. I was watching the Brazilian GP replay today and spotted this during a Ferrari pit stop. Note the crew members grabbing the car near the roll hoop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36805867@N07/6980659475/

What are they doing?

Thanks!

JPQuesado
    Participant

@hays33d I think they are holding the car so that it doesn’t shake with all the movement of taking the wheels out and put others in.

hays33d
    Participant

Hmm….that makes sense, though I’m surprised they committed 2 guys to do that. Seems they would easily get in the way, or worse, since they are in between the tires, be likely to get hit when the driver takes off.

I’ll have to keep an eye out this season to see if other teams do this. Never noticed. Too busy watching the tire guys to see if they mess up. =)

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

A bit of a newbie, relatively, in terms of F1 knowledge. I was watching the Brazilian GP replay today and spotted this during a Ferrari pit stop. Note the crew members grabbing the car near the roll hoop.

It’s actually a very uncommon thing to do. It’s the first time I’ve seen anyone do it, so I can only speculate about what they’re actually trying to do.

The first thing that springs to mind is the driver (Massa?) has reported an unusual vibration, or the team has picked up some strange telemetry. The camera mounting – the T-shaped contraption they’re grasping – may have come loose, and they are trying to fit it back in its proper place.

The other alternative is that it has something to do with KERS. When the car is parked in the garage, KERS is grounded through the airbox (which is why you see those bright orange caution signs). The car may have a KERS problem – perhaps something touching the grounding wires – that the team is trying to rectify.

raymondu999
    Participant

@hays33d The explanation by @joao-pedro-cq is absolutely spot on. When the car is lifted on the jacks – it can still rock side to side – and so the position at which the mechanics with the guns have to aim their guns can go up and down; and if the car keeps rocking it will cost them pitstop time. Red Bull have been doing it since early 2010.

Sorry @prisoner-monkeys – it’s nothing as exciting as that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.