F1

What makes F1 the best motor racing sport?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I wanted to know why everybody believes that F1 is the best motorsport out there? It’s pretty much always been regarded as the pinacle of motorsport for many different reasons.

But why do you personally think that it is the best? Why is it better than MotoGP, or better than Touring Cars?

I wanted to see some positive things about the sport as lots of the time we are always thinking about the lack of overtaking or complaining about things to make the “spectacle” better etc..

Thanks

Adam

Todfod
    Participant

I think the pinnacle of automotive technology, and the absolute best out of the best drivers make the sport what it is.

RIISE

Because you know in F1 the best drivers in the world are in the cars, it just has a big intrigue to it, plus going to Silverstone and watching the cars fly of the start is more than enough reason for it too be better than any other motorsport.

Although BTCC is very fun too watch, you know there will be overtakes (Well, unless Team Aon don’t use the LPG engine. Cheats!!!). I went to Donnington, Brands Hatch and Silverstone to watch it this year and although it’s rather slow it’s fun as hell to watch the top 4 scrape and knock each other in the first corners.

But yeah, like I said before F1 is the best because of appeal, even a boring race appeals to me because i’m always looking at mid-field battles too whereas other motorsports I couldn’t give a crap what the mid-drivers are doing.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

It has some of the best drivers in the world in the best cars. Other series like MotoGP and the BTCC have great racing but I can’t quite put my finger on why they’re not as good. Sports Car and GT racing is great too, but the endurance aspect makes them difficult to watch on TV but is also what gives them their magic.

I wouldn’t actually go so far as to say it’s the best motor sport because that’s entirely subjective, and if I had the opportunity there are other types of racing car I’d actually rather have a go in. It is my favourite though and I love it, and that’s something that can’t really be explained!

It’s the cars: 240kmh around corners, 5g braking forces, 0-100kmh in less than 2 seconds, incredible levels of downforce, the fact that Robert Kubica survived, the fact the HRT actually worked for a whole season.

It’s the races themselves: the start of a Grand Prix, 300kmh overtakes around the outside of the 130r, Mark Webber upside down in Valencia, zero grip and zero visibility whenever it rains and yet the drivers never take the foot off the throttle, knowing that the broadcast could cut to Petrov in the wall at any moment.

It’s the drivers: Michael Schumacher, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Luca Badoer.

It’s the fact it’s a World Championship: Europe, North America, South America, Oceania, Asia and the Middle East.

It’s the history: 60 years and counting, Sir Stirling Moss, Juan Manuel Fangio, Sir Jackie Stewart, Alain Prost, the Nurburgring, 1000bhp turbos to 700bhp NA V8s, Murray Walker, the Prancing Horse, Bernie Ecclestone.

It’s the glamour and the prestige: most expensive sport in the world, the celebrities that flock to the grid, the Monaco Grand Prix, the fact that countries all over the world are falling over themselves to secure a race in their nation, the Santander trophy that gets awarded after apparently every other Grand Prix.

It’s the names that have been lost: Senna, Rindt, Gilles Villeneuve, Ratzenberger, Bandini and the countless other drivers, marshalls and spectators.

It’s that every fortnight, a British woman sits in front of her television to cheer on a Brazilian driver in an Italian team to victory on a Turkish circuit, while a man in Bangladesh cheers for a Japanese driver in a Swiss team for passing a German driver in an Indian team.

God, I love this sport.

Victor.
    Participant

Magnificent’s post wins :).

Are the drivers the best though? I see Loeb succeeding more in F1 than Kimi, or any other F1 driver for that matter, in WRC.

Stephen Jones
    Participant

best post!

and for me its just the tension and nerves before a race..

theres no other sport that manages to get me as pumped up before it has started..

there’s something about the fact that most other sports have the national anthem.. then they toss a coin, then they kick off, and then nothing really means anything till about an hour later..

with F1, you have half an hour of hype, the grid getting ready, the warm up lap, then the 5 lights slowly turning on.. and the knowledge that in 8 or so seconds, there will be action, guaranteed.

There’s also so much things going on.. there’s battles all down the field, there’s reliability, there’s weather, there’s pistop’s.. the list goes on..

As murray said.. “Anything can happen in Formula 1, and it usually does”

wasiF1
    Participant

I really don’t know the answer but for me it’s the soul of yours that how you love something.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wow! Geoffrey, that was…. Magnificent!

Keep them coming!

Lots of people complain about lack of overtaking, something MotoGP has a lot of, why doesn’t this make it better?

p.s. before I get shot down, I love F1, i’m mad about it. Just wanted to get some clear explanations of why it is so good, because I find it hard to exactly pinpoint when trying to convince my mates why i love it so much.

wasiF1
    Participant

@ MG

Well written.

” while a man in Bangladesh cheers for a Japanese driver in a Swiss team for passing a German driver in an Indian team”

Are you talking about me, I can’t see any more Bangladeshi F1 fans in this blog or forum?

Dan Thorn
    Participant

In MotoGP the overtaking is very samey, pretty much all the moves are either outbraking manouevers or passes on the straight. Also because there’s no mirrors on a bike there’s no realistic way for a rider to defend and faster bikes getting past are an inevitability.

In F1 the whole excitement for me is the battle of one driver defending while the other attacks. The actual pass itself is rarely the exciting bit, but because they’re less frequent it also makes every pass more appreciated.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I would put it down to the sheer power of the cars, the massive amounts of downforce and the requirement to design (or at least source) your own vehicle. When I was watching the GP2 race at Silverstone I could tell the drivers were hitting alsorts of lines around Club but when watching the F1 race later nearly every driver nailed them all the time. It displays just how much these drivers are at the absolute peak of motorsport.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.