F1

What was your favourite F1 design innovation?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Not especially anything technical, but anything that made the cars look different that you liked the look of? I like some of Tyrrell’s wacky ideas; some of which caught on, some were banned and others just raised eyebrows!

This bizarre rear wing always looked interesting …

tyr

Thoughts?

barkun
    Participant

the 6-wheeled Tyrrell was quite something to look at !

Cristian
    Participant

Also from Tyrrell – the raised nose

barkun
    Participant

I guess we all miss Tyrrell

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some pictures of the things mentioned above, plus the rather less pretty Tyrrell X-wing!

tyr1

tyr2

tyr3

andae23
    Participant

Has to be the wing car, Lotus 79B. Such an easy concept, yet the concept has still not been fully explored. Shame, really.

Strontium
    Participant

Wow that looks amazing!!!

John Doe
    Participant

I really liked McLaren’s ‘horns’ in mid 2000s

MP4-20

dragoll
    Participant

Schumi ran with a 4 wheel steering (front and rear wheels turned) Benetton F1 car in the last 2 rounds of the 1993 season.

toiago
    Participant

Brabham BT46, known as the fan car. It raced just once, won that one, and was immediately banned.

PorscheF1
    Participant

I’m a big fan of the ever rising noses. F138, RB8, FW34, love all those more than currect cars with noses going towards the ground.

PT
    Participant

My favourite F1 design innovation – 6 wheeled Tyrrell

My most hated F1 design innovation – high nose (I just wish it have never, ever happened…it took away the beauty from the cars)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was a fan of the F-Duct. Such a clever device, which resulted in one of the bravest strategies I’ve ever seen in a race, ie. Jenson Button’s barn door rear wing at Monza. He very nearly won that race too. Mighty impressive.

MatK77
    Participant

Hands down, the Lotus 88 twin-chassis. On the very limit of the rulebook and completely novel. I love this clip as Chapman leans on the bodywork: Secret Life of Colin Chapman

He took all of the lessons from the ground effect 78, 79, the disastrous 80, back-to-basics 81 and this was the end result. I’ve always thought it was a looker, too:

Lotus 88b Silverstone 81

PT
    Participant

@MatK77

It certainly is a looker, so wide and stout – a world apart from wing-dominated aerodynamics we’re used to seeing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.