F1

What was your favourite team-engine combination?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

If you had to choose a team-engine partnership over the years that you liked or connected with, which would you choose?

There are some mega-successful ones over the years, but I like some of the more obscure ones like Ligier-Mugen Honda, Toleman-Hart, Arrows-BMW, Benetton-BMW, in fact anything-BMW!

I would have said Minardi-Ferrari, but having read Simon Vigar’s book Forza Minardi I know that relationship did Minardi no good at all.

Your thoughts?

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

The first partnership between Williams and Renault. I also liked Williams-BMW. And Jordan-Mugen Honda.

PorscheF1
    Participant

(TAG) Porsche and McLaren, basically Porsche and anything.

I also keep finding it weird that Lotus drives anything but Renault for some reason.

sam3110
    Participant

Ferrari-Ferrari

Strontium
    Participant

McLaren-Mercedes before Mercedes re-entered F1. That worked very well.

I also liked STR-Ferrari. That fitted well, I thought.

’88 RA168-E
    Participant

Marlboro/McLaren-Honda as it was my child hood, the high winding BMW-Williams (I’m also a JPM apologist), and the V8 Redbull Renaults.

Paul
    Participant

Scuderia-Ferrari. Such a rich history

Daimler-Benz AG. (1954-1955) Fanggio, Moss and the legend which is Mercedes

Honda-McLaren. The days of Prost and Senna

Renault-Renault (2005-2006) With Alonso bringing Ferrari’s 5 year dominance to an end

dragoll
    Participant

BMW SauberF1 :)

Nic Morley
    Participant

I liked the Williams-BMW, and their livery’s.

Saints
    Participant

McLaren-Mercedes and Williams-BMW. BAR-Honda, too.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Brawn-Mercedes was a great partnership, and not many expected a championship in its first and only year. Also, McLaren-Honda from 1988-1992, despite ’92 being very subpar for them. And lastly, Williams-Renault in the 90’s.

AmbroseRPM
    Participant

Although this never materialised I like the sound of McLaren-Lamborghini. I don’t know why but McLaren-Honda will start looking a lot better when they start winning!

pH
    Participant

The closest combination to my heart is “so many cars from around 1975-1980” and Ford Cosworth.

Jonathan
    Participant

Hi everyone, this is my first post in the forums here. I’ve been an F1 for nearly 8 years and have lurked around here for most of this time, just never got around to posting until now.

My favourite team-engine combination in my lifetime is probably McLaren-Mercedes. It helps that the team has run several of my favourite drivers and I love having Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button in the same team for three years. I support both but prefer Lewis, I think Jenson has terrific racecraft but Lewis is the faster of the two. The stunning MP4-22, one of the best and most distinctively looking F1 cars of the last ten years in my view (great design, great livery with the silver and red), also helped. Right now my favourite of the ‘garagiste’ (thanks Enzo!) team-engine combinations is Williams-Mercedes. I seem to like British cars with German engines!

Historically, I am very fond of Williams-Renault. When I was a small child I had a Williams F1 toy car based on the mid-1990s Rothmans cars which I played with in the garden, although I didn’t recognise what it was at the time.

I like how “Lotus-Climax” rings.

Though Lotus-BRM might have sounded better :P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.