F1

What would you change about the look of current F1 cars?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Calum
    Participant

Generally speaking what would you change bodywork wise to make modern F1 cars look better?

I would:

Have no front wing.

Lower the nose, and get rid of the gap underneath the drivers legs (where Mclaren have a snowplough device) – ie 1990s spec nose section (RED)

Keep current spec cockpit + cockpit protection (ORANGE)

The part above the sidepods, make it flat like a table, and have it go right to the rear of the car instead of curving off as they do today (GREEN) and attatch, using to mounted pillars, a 2 plane front wing wide wide rear wing (YELLOW).

Add venturi ground effect downforce tunnels down the side of the car (BLUE)

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8256/capetownl.jpg

I’ll post this outline sketch of a current generation F1 car, it is a Redbull RB6 and was drawn by ‘Scarbs’ – feel free to photoshop or Paint edit this image to illustrate your point:

http://scarbsf1.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/rb6_scarbsf1_logoless_1280.jpg

Now it’s your turn, descriptions or photoshops welcome! :D

Lachie
    Participant

Are the cars still ‘thinner’ like when they changed in 1998 or are they back to more the 1994-1997 sort of width? In any case the more they get to the width of the 1994-1997 cars the better. Also make the rear wheels noticeably larger than the fronts.

Harvs
    Participant

i want to see a current f1 car with a 08′ style wing with the lower nose, maybe a 08′ stle rear wing but the body stle the same as what we have now

Dan Thorn
    Participant

Nothing. I love the way they look at the moment! As long as those L-sidepods don’t become de riguer then it’s all good.

Completely agree with Harvs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Completely agree with Harvs as well.

Icthyes
    Participant

Basically take the FW15C. And that’s it.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

The wings on the current cars just look stupid. Neither of them are especially ugly on their own, but together they make the car look so unbalanced.

However, I always thought McLaren’ hybrid 2008- 2009 test car they occasionally used in early 2009 looked pretty cool- it had the snow plough front wing, but it also kept the wide rear wing:

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/hami_mcla_portimao_2009-4.jpg

beneboy
    Participant

I’d take off the front wings and make the rear wings more like they were in the late 80s with fewer elements, lower the nose and allow side skirts that were almost as wide as the outer edge of the tires.

I’d also be tempted to remove the engine covers behind the roll bar so that you could see the engine working just as you could in the old days.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d make the rear wings short and wider and that’s it.

S.J.M
    Participant

Id remove all wings from the cars and state ground effects are legal through venturi tunnels and see what the designers come up with. Brownie points to those that make them look like a mid-60’s F1 car too.

And they have to have big, wide & fat rear tyres. More then they are now, think of how they looked on the cars in the mid 70’s onwards. The fronts are to be bigger then they are now to increase mechanical grip to the fronts.

And i’d legalise Chapman’s duel-chassis too see if it worked as Chapman had intended

And more brownie points to teams who paint on Sharks teeth, Snake faces or hornets onto their car noses.

BS
    Participant

Agree with Ned and Steph. I really love the look of the current generation of F1 cars. A wider ad lower rear wing would beef up the cars a bit without losing the elegance of the current gen bodypanels.

I’d also add neon/LED tubes to the tire rims that glow blue when using KERS. Informative and stunning. :D

Anonymous
    Inactive

Count me in with Dan Thorn, Ned, Steph and BS. I love the look of the current cars although the wings just look like an out of fashion addendum stuck onto the back of the car (they need a little work, nothing much though). Otherwise, I adore everything about them. Including the higher nose, hah, there you go, I said it.

TommyB
    Participant

Nothing. I think the current F1 cars are the best looking F1 cars ever.

matt88
    Participant

Current cars seem disprorportionate, with those high noses and tiny rear wings. I’m getting used to this style (when i first saw the 2009-specs cars i thought they were awful), but i’d restore the look of the mid-to-end of 90s. Maybe it’s because i started watching F1 around those years, but those cars were estethically almost perfect. Just look at MP4-14 or at Ferrari F300…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.