F1

What’s in a name?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Boxcar Racer
    Participant

It seems to me that HRT are one of the most disliked teams on the grid. Do you think that if they branded themselves better they would be more likeable amongst F1 fans and more likely to pick up sponsors? They could probably start with getting rid of the horrid “HRT” name and go for something a bit racier. What do you think?

David-A
    Participant

Should’ve been named Campos Racing F1.

matt90
    Participant

I thought HRT were equally liked and disliked. A lot of people seem to hate them, but then they seem to have a lot of defenders, including myself, who like the underdog spirit. The name doesn’t other me much, because I wouldn’t have made the Hormone Replacement Therapy connection before it was pointed out to me. And their livery is one of the best on the grid.

Slr
    Participant

Some people don’t like HRT because of how little progress they have made since 2010, because of that, HRT look like a joke. Sponsors don’t want their name on a car which is hopelessly slow, with no sign of it getting significantly faster.

Promoting themselves as a fun team, and a team which doesn’t use pay drivers would help their image slightly, but it wouldn’t dramatically change anything. To get more fans and sponsors, they simply need to be faster, a lot faster.

Boxcar Racer
    Participant

@David-A
    That’s what I’m talking about, Campos Racing F1 sounds like a team that have got their act together, whereas HRT doesn’t

raymondu999
    Participant

@mojopixel @david-a to be honest, if they named themselves Campos Racing F1 and had the exact same history as HRT did – I’d still not like them.

ob1kenobi.23
    Participant

I am a great admirer of the smaller teams.
    They struggle might & main to produce an F1 car & get it to the grid on budgets that some of the bigger teams would laugh at.
    If you were watching them at the circuit, they are going hugely fast & only when compared to the fastest cars in the world do they seem slow.
    the amount of ingenuity & effort that every member of the team puts in is amazing.
    My interest in these underdogs was fired by the sorcerer himself, Amedi Gordini.

F1Yankee
    Participant

i don’t have any hard feelings towards the team members on hrt – they’re doing what they love and participating in formula one. i can hardly fault them for that.

i do fault the owners and leaders of hrt/marussia/f1 for creating a situation where the best result possible is only getting blown out of the water and not bringing the whole thing down around them.

Boxcar Racer
    Participant

Looks like Sala’s thinking the same thing I am…
    http://totalf1.com/full_story/view/415953/HRT_open_to_name_change/

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Should’ve been named Campos Racing F1.

That was the plan – when they were accepted to the grid in 2009, they were going to be known as “Campos Meta 1”. It was an absolute failure, and Adrian Campos lost control of the team to Cabarante, who wanted to rename the team Hispania Racing Team, after his Hispania Group. When the FIA did not recognise “Hispania” as a name, they instead referred to themselves as HRT. When Thesan Capital took control of the team from Cabarante, they stopped referring to themselves as Hispania because the team no longer had any connection to Cabarante.

Personally, I’d like to see HRT join up with the Brabham family or Giancarlo Minardi and revive an old team name.

McFillin
    Participant

If it was named Campos racing i would surely be their biggest fan!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I doubt it would be renamed Campos Racing. Not unless someone named Campos was involved in running the team. It might upset Adrian Campos, since it was originally his team. After all, back in 2010, there was an attempt to revive the Brabham name from a prospective entrant. The Brabham family attempted to block it since they had never been consulted on the use of their name in the first place. Obviously nothing came of it, but since Adrian Campos lost his team at the start of 2010, I don’t think it would go down to well if that same team adopted his name later.

Girts
    Participant

Well, the name isn’t totally unimportant but I don’t think it’s that decisive. As English is not my mother tongue, I wasn’t aware of what the abbreviation HRT is often used for in this language when Campos announced its new name for the first time. And I still don’t have any associations, ‘HRT’ is just three letters for me. I always prefer full names over abbreviations but the names are clearly not decisive when I choose my favourite teams.

I like HRT, I hope they survive and can develop themselves further.

Boxcar Racer
    Participant

Personally, I’d like to see HRT join up with the Brabham family or Giancarlo Minardi and revive an old team name.

HRT seem like a team with independent minds and an independent spirit, which is why I like them, so I don’t think they will go for a non-Spanish name. Expect something like Thesan Racing or Espana F1 or something; if there’s anyone who’s Spanish reading this perhaps you could suggest a good Spanish name for HRT?

Asanator
    Participant

Siesta Racing?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.