F1

When will they come crawling back?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Of the car manufacturers who have left in the past ten years, who do you think will be the first to come crawling back (we all know they eventually will)? Your options are;

Honda

BMW

Toyota

Ford

Peugot

Just put below who and when you think they will return. I personally think Honda will be back for the 2013 season, with an engine supply deal.

Scribe
    Participant

Manufacturers are welcome back, so long as they stick to just engines.

glue
    Participant

Toyota, Japanese never give up..they just put a metaphorical warhead (biggest budget) on their metaphorical Yokosukas (F1 entry procedures) and hit the metaphorical USS Bunker Hill (Formula 1) dead-on, with strengthened ambitions and beliefs that they will win

I can see all of them returning at some point in the next 15 years, except maby BMW after their prickish exit.

wasiF1
    Participant

If any manufacturer does come he needs to come with his engine. I think in the future some car companies will make their way in F1 like VW.

I don’t think any of newnhamlea1 list will come back.

Dan Thorn
    Participant

You’d have to bet on Honda returning at some point. They’ve got such a large racing heritage I don’t think they’ll be able to stay away…They couldn’t the first time they left!

RobR

It’s hard to say – it depends how the regulations change over the next couple of years.

I think it’s very arrogant to just assume they will “come crawling back”.

Nutritional
    Participant

I definitely think Honda will come back as an engine supplier. There’s definitely opportunities for manufacturers who’ve recently left to get with some good teams as engine suppliers. I think McLaren has a contract with Mercedes for engines for 3 more years? And Red Bull gets customer Renault engines as opposed to having an exclusive contract. And it was very clear that BMW, Toyota, and Honda made good engines – their cars where just horrible.

BasCB
    Participant

I also thing Honda is sure to come back some way in the next years. They did leave with the best reputation, even if their team never got to more than having a race win, the car they developed did win it both and more than 50% of staff were saved their jobs and continue for Brawn and now Mercedes.

Toyota might return, but it would to big a losing face to do it in the next 8 years. BMW, who knows. I heard reports they will get into WRC with Mini and maybe have a try at LeMans in the next years as well as possibly getting back into DTM. So nothing there for some years as well. Ford might rather want to stay with WRC for now and have a try at a american racing series before getting close to F1 again. So peugeot would seem to be the most likely (with VW/Audi/Porsche) to think about this now they have reached so much succes in LeMans. Get the title back next year and they might start from 2013 onwards.

BasCB
    Participant

@Nutritional – i think you are right about some of the manufacturers preferring to enter as engine/drivetrain suppliers in the next years. But you are pretty far off when you state that Honda, Toyota and BMW made good engines.

The BMW was lacking power and was most thirsty. Toyota was a little bit less thirsty but also lacking in power and without good traction at the low end. Not sure about Honda, but the Brawn was a lot faster with a Mercedes engine even if it was fittet sub-optimal into the chassis, so it would not have been the top of the rack as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I reckon we’re probably going to see a move towards manufacturers dipping their toes into the shark-infested f1 waters with engine supplies first, and then maybe becoming fully fledged constructors a la BMW – and BMW really only left because of the financial crisis. If they hadn’t, who knows? Maybe Kubica for 2010 or 2011 World Champion?!

I’m also interested to see that nobody’s mentioned Mclaren – they’re technically a manufacturer now, though not in spirit. And a bit off topic, but it seems to me that Mclaren secretly setting up an f1 engine working group in the bowels of the MTC in preparation for the merc split is sort of plausible… any takers on this conspiracy theory?!

James_mc
    Participant

I’d heard speculation that McLaren were going to start making their own engines – the MP4-12C has a McLaren engine in it, so they are already doing it for production cars. Mutterings at one point of McLaren buying BMW’s F1 engine department over winter, but as I said; rumours, mutterings and speculation. Nothing more.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Honda will be back at some point. Honda are somewhat idiotic. The left the sport at the end of 1992 for no good reason. They had just won SIX consecutive constructors title from 86-91 & quit in 92 for some stupid reason. The reason being that McLaren failed to build a good car like the FW14B.

Next year McLaren came up with a decent car which could have taken the fight to the FW15C, but was powered by the hopeless second grade ford engine, completely underpowered compared to the one on the Benetton. If Honda had stayed on & developed their engines like Renault did, thing would have been very different in 1993.

Honda’s biggest error, apart from selling itself to R.Brawn was to supply Jordan & BAR simultaneously during 99-02. Even greater mistake was to choose BAR over Jordan. Why they ran behind a retard like Craig Pollock is completely beyond me.

If Honda had backed Jordan instead of BAR, we would have seen a major fight between Ferrari-Mclaren-Williams-Jordan instead of the Schumi cheat borefest.

Hope Honda learn from the past. But I doubt it.

Toyota–>> YOU SUCK.

Nutritional
    Participant

@BasCB – Where do you get the information that tells you BMW, Toyota, and Honda engines weren’t good engines?

Scribe
    Participant

@BasCB, I thought the BMW was incredbily powerful, possibly the most or second most, but very thirsty and the Toyota was rather fuel efficient but kinda lacking in the HP department.

An the Honda, according the Brawn mechanics, couldn’t scrape paint of walls, don’t know about fuel efficiency.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.