F1

Where's KevMag gonna be at the end of the season?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    himmatsj
    Participant

What’s your thoughts on where Kevin “Magnuficent” Magnussen will be come season’s end?

Will he launch a WDC assault a la Lewis Hamilton in 2007?
    How long can he keep up his podium streak?
    How badly will be outshine (or be outshone by) Button?
    How many poles and wins will he score (assuming McLaren keep pace in the development war)?

My answers:

1) He will be crowned the 2014 WDC. You heard it here first! The Mercs will be strong in the first few races, but McLaren will claw their way back, and KevMag will also have natural speed advantage and a much cooler composure.

2) He’ll be on the podium on the next race or two but not more than that before the streak gets broken.

3) Outshines Button hands down. In races both drivers finish, he will be ahead 70% of the time. End of season, he will be ahead by over 50 points!

4) 2 poles and 3 wins. Lots of podiums though. McLaren won’t be the best car outright in the whole season which is why he would not “dominate” completely.

Mads
    Participant

No I don’t think so.
    The McLaren so far is still miles off the Merc just like everyone else, and I think Red Bull is faster then them as well and I don’t think McLaren can outdevelop either Merc or Red Bull.

This will be as far as it goes. I don’t think he will be able to repeat the success in Malaysia.
    If both Mercs finish it will just take one of the Red Bulls to do the same and he will have a very hard time to get on the podium.

I think he is going to be significantly faster, nearly as consistent and I don’t expect a lot of brain-fade rookie mistakes. In the end Magnussen will have a clear points advantage.

How many poles and wins will he score (assuming McLaren keep pace in the development war)?
    I don’t expect any pole positions. Maybe a couple of front row starts, but I think both Red Bull and even more so the Mercs are going to keep him off.
    A single win at Spa, and 5 other podium finishes.

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

After one race…I think it’s a little too early to tell. He certainly seems capable enough based on today’s performances to at least think about the title. However, you can’t judge someone’s consistency on one race alone.

As for his podium streak: if he drives as well as today, and McLaren continue to be reliable and develop well, then I can see him getting a couple of more podiums in the next races. Provisionally though, I will say that he won’t be able to reach the podium in Malaysia.

Button is a great driver, and came very close to Magnussen towards the end of the race, despite qualifying. I think it will be a hard fought battle between the two. Button will have the edge by the end of the season, but only just.

I’ll go with two pole positions, and three wins this season. Enough to cement himself as a very good driver, and gain yet more confidence for a better season next year.

Kingshark
    Participant

No, the Mercedes will be too good for that, I’m afraid.

I doubt very. Merc are a class of the field, and Red Bull & Williams are roughly on par with McLaren. His podium streak might end in Malaysia.

He will clearly have an advantage over JB in qualifying. In the race, they will be closer but Mag will still be the quicker driver. I also don’t expect him to make many mistakes, so he will finish ahead in the WDC overall.

I think he might have a season like Montoya in 2001. 3 pole positions, 1 win.

andae23
    Participant

In Abu Dhabi, I hope.

Ben Needham
    Participant

Let’s not get too carried away after one race. He certainly seems to be a very quick, reliable and calm driver and I’m excited to see what he can do in the next few races.

In terms of the Championship, I simply can’t see past one of the Mercedes drivers taking it, but that’s not to say Magnussen can’t be in the top 5 and I do think he could well have the measure of Button and certainly seems to have the potential to win a race or two.

Deej92
    Participant

No. Mercedes are just too far ahead and will remain too strong throughout.

I think he might get one in Malaysia, but I can’t see three on the trot. Red Bull seem to have the edge and Williams look to be around McLaren’s pace.

He will edge him on points in the end. He’ll have the better of Button in qualifying, but it’ll be close in the races.

0 poles, 1 win.

Michael
    Participant

I’m a little surprised to be reading how Kevin will have more points than Button at the end of the season especially after a single race.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

No. The Mercedes is head, shoulder, knees and toes above the rest and Williams – I believe – are also ahead of McLaren.

This is it. Undoubtedly he’ll get more throughout the year but I think he’ll struggle in Malaysia. As I said, both Merc and Williams are quicker (in the dry) at the moment.

I think it will be very very even between the two, but Button will just do it. However I think the deciding factor will simply be luck and reliability.

0 poles, 0 wins. He’ll score podiums but a win would require some luck and bad results for others.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.