F1

Which 10 races should the BBC broadcast?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Okay, first of all, this is not a thread for discussing the Sky-BBC deal. We have discussions on the main site for that.

No, in this thread, you’re taking on the role of a fan who has been approached by the BBC executives. They want to know which ten races of the 2012 championship should be broadcast, and they want you to decide which ones. Bernie Ecclestone’s proposed calendar has been released, showing twenty races (Turkey has been dropped), with a few – most notably India, Korea, America and Bahrain – being moved around. You can see the full calendar here:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/93455

So, which ten races should the BBC broadcast? We already know that Monaco, Silverstone and the season finale – Interlagos – will be shown (but you can advise the BBC to drop these if you wish).

Please note that any answers along the lines of “The BBC should show all twenty races” will be interpreted as “We want to see ten races at Valencia!”. Like I said, this is not a thread for discussing the decision to split the broadcast – it’s to separate out the ten best races from the championship, the ones with the msot intrinsic value.

DavidS
    Participant

Bahrain (not because it’s a good track with good racing – which it isn’t – it’s the first race of the season, and most fans will be desperate to watch F1 after the off-season, and missing the first race would be painful.

Australia

Monaco

Canada

Britain

Spa

Italy

Singapore

Japan

Brazil

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Actually, Bernie’s calendar has Bahrain as round 18 of the championship. It gives the government more time to convince the world that the country is safe. But if the BBC asked me which races to broadcast, I’d definately recommend Bahrain. It might not be the greatest venue in the world, but as it’s at the end of the season, there’s a reasonable chance that the championship will be decided there.

Enigma
    Participant

Melbourne, Monaco, Spa, Monza, Interlagos, Silverstone, Nurburgring, Singapore, Austin, Montreal.

No offense to Suzuka, it’s a fantastic circuit, but the races tend to be slightly dull there…

Ads21
    Participant

Australia

Monaco

Canada

USA

Britain

Germany

Spa

Monza

Abu Dhabi (purely because it’s place as second to last race, if another race is second to last cover that instead)

Brazil

Basically they should concentrate on the ones in Europe/the Americas since the early morning fly away races are usually only watched by the hardcore fans anyway.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Abu Dhabi (purely because it’s place as second to last race, if another race is second to last cover that instead)

In Bernie’s revised calendar, it’s fourth-to-last.

George
    Participant

Australia/first race

China

Monaco

Canada

USA

Britain

Belgium

Italy

Japan

Brazil

Tough titty if the championship is decided somewhere else

Icthyes
    Participant

Australia (first race)

Spain (first European race)

Monaco (it’s Monaco)*

Canada (prime time)

Britain (home race for broadcaster)*

Germany (historic race, if not tracks)

Belgium (historic track)

Italy (historic track)

USA (prime time)

Brazil (prime time and last race)

* I understand these have already been confirmed

Basically cut all the early-morning ones out except the opener. It would maximise ratings and there’s no point taking the early ones when less people will see them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Australia

USA

Canada

Britain

Spa

Italy

Germany

Brazil

Hungary

Iceland (only joking)

I would be happy to settle for those 9 if I could not get all of the rest

Never ever Monaco – way too boring

Anonymous
    Inactive

Stupid question… they should be airing every damn race !

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Stupid question… they should be airing every damn race !

Stupid answer – didn’t you read the opening post?

Please note that any answers along the lines of “The BBC should show all twenty races” will be interpreted as “We want to see ten races at Valencia!”

Like I said, this is not about discussing the merits of the Sky-BBC deal. This is about picking out the ten races that have the most value to the sport.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Which 10 races should the bbc broadcas. All right then, heres my secondary answer:

1. The opening race of the season – Australia

– This doesnt matter providing it includes the British grand prix and other european races and NO non-eu races other than for the first and last of the season. Monaco is my personal fav second to Silverstone so a must!

10. The Final race of the season – Brazil (This race always gives the nostalgic end of season is nigh feeling)

Bullfrog
    Participant

Melbourne, India (assuming the track’s good), Monaco, Canada, Britain, Belgium, Italy, Japan, USA, Brazil

Singapore was number 11 for me – spectacular, but just looks wrong at 1pm! Maybe better as highlights – the race can go on a bit. Same arguably applies to Monaco.

More likely they’ll want to spread them more evenly (i.e. every other race) and, say, show one of each of the back-to-back pairs.

I love the live evening races in American time zones, and Montreal’s always a good ‘un – but not sure what BBC want to achieve here. Grab the higher ratings, or clear the schedules for some “entertainment” landfill?

TommyB
    Participant

Wouldn’t they try to show almost every other race? Would be strange for them to have three races in a row and then no F1 for about a month.

Of course, it’s just a game so if we did get to choose…

Bahrain – First race

Australia – Normally a great race

Monaco – A classic

Canada – Can’t NOT be shown. Apparently more people saw Canadian GP then the Champions League final in the UK. An awesome race guaranteed.

USA – Looking forward to seeing the new track

Britain – Home race

Belgium – Come on, does this need to be explained? It’s Spa!

Monza – Classic track

Abu Dhabi – Championship coming to a close

Brazil – The finale

Stupid question… they should be airing every damn race!

Why do you want ten races at Valencia?

Alianora La Canta
    Participant

If I were the BBC I’d pick the 10 highest-viewed races (or likely to be highest-viewed) to keep. This would mean:

– The season opener, wherever it was

– Malaysia

– Monaco (confirmed by BBC)

– Canada

– Britain (confirmed by BBC)

– Hungary

– Singapore

– USA

– Brazil

– The finale (confirmed by BBC)

If the opener and finale were at circuits already in that top 10 (and Brazil’s currently supposed to have the finale), I’d have Belgium and either Europe or India.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.