F1

Which car manufacturers can realistically join F1 in the future?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    himmatsj
    Participant

So I have been wondering the above. Who can join? Perhaps, Volkswagen, Peugeot, Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, Audi, BMW and/or Citroen?

Also, I presume if they join they will need to buy over a new team, unless there are two or more teams joining from scratch that year (as in 2010). Just look at Marrusia and Caterham doing poorly…it’s because they had to start from scratch I believe.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The reason Caterham and Marussia are doing poorly was because of the proposed cuts to F1 spending. Had it happened, they would at least be on equal footing with everyone else.

And realistically the only thing manufacturer I can think of joining would be Honda again, purley on their involvement with McLaren as an engine suplier.

Other than that, WEC is a better option for manyfacturers, where Audi, Porsche and Toyota already are.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m hard-pressed to think of any I might like to see. I’d like BMW to have another attempt without running at the first sign of trouble, but I don’t think it will happen.

Calum
    Participant

Renault.

Loup Garou
    Participant

I really believe that BMW should return to F1. They have all the ingredients to make racing car engine but for whatever reasons (probably admin) have not been part of a string F1 team apart from briefly with Williams during the Montoya / Ralf Schumacher days.

Anonymous
    Inactive

….Lexus, with Panasonic and Denso as sponsors?

Proton, replacing Caterham?

Piotr Koteryl
    Participant

I would be very happy to see Audi, Porsche or some other VW Group manufacturer join the sport – that could be really awesome!

Nick
    Participant

I think the era of manufacturers is over. Being (and winning) in F1 probably isn’t the magic marketing tool it was before, since the car market has really changed the past 10 years.

If anything, I think we might see Renault return out of frustration (clearly feeling Red Bull isn’t giving them enough credit) but no more teams. I do think we might see some more exclusive works teams, like McLaren with Mercedes before 2009 or Stewart with Ford.

I also expect some 90s-like fiascos (Subaru, Lamborghini, Yamaha), perhaps even from VAG brands.

MuzzleFlash
    Participant

As few as possible. Manufacturers come and go on the whim of a marketing committee, which is bad for the sport. Prefer proper and self-styled racing teams like McLaren, Williams, Ferrari etc.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Pagani, by the way – and Noble?

Even Krating Daeng?

Anyway, though off-topic, if Red Bull is to leave F1, is there any chance that we’ll se “Arden F1”, with Horner, Newey, and a lack of Marko?

Tomsk
    Participant

I’d like to see more fizzy drink manufacturers in F1. They seem to do better than car-makers (admittedly based on a sample of one), and don’t insist on the rules being “relevant” with expensive fake-green technology and piddling little engines.
    Car manufacturers can stick to the World Boring Car Championship or whatever.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Manufacturers are bad for the sport in way. As we have seen many times (Toyota, BMW, Honda) as soon as a Manufacturer F1 team relises its not getting the success it wants quick enough, they will just pull out, unlike dedicated works teams; for all we know Mercedes could pull out at the end of 2014! I agree with some people that there is more chance of dedicated works teams entering.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

I’d love to see Ford back, or a new-age supercar builder like Koenigsegg or Pagani.

Deej92
    Participant

I’d like to see BMW and Volkswagen enter. We’d have the big 3 German manufacturers competing against each other (like in DTM), and of course against the others. Ford backing a team like they did with Stewart would be good quite to see.

Max Jacobson
    Participant

A better question I think would be engine manufacturers, in which case I can see Volkswagen (under one of their brands), BMW, Toyota or Peugeot joining.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.