F1

Which GP2 Drivers deserve a shot at the big time?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Bradley Downton
    Participant

Having noticed that a lot of us here follow the feeder series, i’ve been wondering, who do you think deserves a chance in Formula 1 next year from the current crop of GP2 Drivers (Generally it’s the top two of three drivers that are promoted) and what team would they be with, So here are mine, but first…

Romain Grosjean (I think he’ll do well again this year, but after his past F1 failure, like Giorgio Pantano, i dont think we’ll see him again in F1)

So, my top 3:

Sam Bird – I think he can win the series this year and so would look set to go to Williams but…

Giedo van der Garde – It’s a make or break year this year for Giedo but i think he can deliver. He is a man who has been linked to Williams in the past and has major sponsorship from McGregor (a Williams sponsor anyway), and so can bring more money (and talent) to a team who need it and could be chosen over Sam Bird because of the money.

Jules Bianchi – Linked to Ferrari, he’ll be in F1 next year or 2013, being with Lotus ART, a move to partner Heikki at Lotus (despite the Lotusgate and the fact that Lotus ART are ggroup Lotus)

so back to Sam Bird – Which team could he go to? If Schumacher leaves F1, Sam could go to Mercedes, or if di Resta gets the Mercedes seat, could Bird partner Hulkenberg at Force India (providing the inevitable that Sutil leaves)

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think we’ll see Grosjean in F1 next year, he’s in Renault’s young drivers scheme.

Bianchi will go in F1 sooner or later.

Bird probably can have a shot at F1.

George
    Participant

Not sure whether Renault would replace Heidfeld with Grosjean next year, assuming Kubica isn’t back, I imagine Lotus would push them to put Senna back in the car.

Bianchi is pretty much destined for F1 I think, maybe with Sauber or possibly Ferrari to replace Massa.

Sam Bird I wouldn’t expect to get a seat, maybe with a backmarker but British drivers are notorious for having little sponsorship. It’s possible he could get a testing seat but we know how pointless they are.

I dont really know much about the rest, it’s always possible someone could do a d’Ambrosio/Kobayashi and get a seat out of nowhere.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m fans of Bianchi and Bird so I’m biased but I genuinely believe they should have a shot in F1 one day.

Grosjean has shown his talent I think so it would be nice for him to get another chance

S.J.M
    Participant

Its always been unfair to judge Grosjean on his earlier shot in F1, and I think he deserves another chance. Bianchi will get into F1 through (although not nessesarily at) Ferrari at some stage.

Ive not seen much of Bird myself but watched last weekends race and was impressed by him (even if his team mate did him no favours) but looks good and im all for another Brit on the grid, although I think he might end up a test driver at first with a good team or be a backmarker for a while.

Snaiperskaya
    Participant

I think Pantano should be given a last chance, just to see if he really is as good as his junior formula record.

BasCB
    Participant

I think Grosjean does deserve another shot at it. Alonso admitted at the time that the Renault was really badly handing. Getting in there with no testing at all, and in a Briatore run team agains Flavs beloved Alonso … not easy at all.

Icthyes
    Participant

Sam Bird will drive for McLaren one day. Okay wishful thinking but maybe!

I don’t see why Grosjean shouldn’t get another shot. But where, that’s the problem.

Guido van der Garde should get a chance at some point too.

Oscar Becker
    Participant

I really hope that Marcus Ericsson will perform well this year and mabe get into F1. Wishful thinking but I’d really love to see a swedish driver on the grid.

I think Sam Bird, Jules Bianchi and hopefully Ericsson will be on the grid next year. Grosjean and Van der Garde might get a shot as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good idea for a topic. I’ve really got stuck into some of the feeder series this season, especially GP2 and World Series by Renault.

For GP2:

It is so hard to judge drivers in this series, and I don’t think we are going to get another Lewis Hamilton any time soon. He just had the perfect path, and started F1 with a great car. Not many other drivers will get this opportunity. I know the cars for this year are new, but the teams that have good default set ups have a slight advantage over the others. This makes it hard to judge.

Plus with drivers moving up to F1, it is becoming increasingly hard to prove yourself. We have seen Maldonado come in and not impress, Perez come in, and impress. We have seen drivers steadily make their way up the grid like Rosberg, and then the lucky ones like Hamilton, blast to the top of the ladder.

Having said that, I think Grosjean deserves a chance, but as other people have said, where could he go? Renault is the obvious choice, but then with Petrov and Kubica, there would be no room. He does seem on another level compared to the other GP2 drivers, mabye this is experience, maybe this is talent?

Sam Bird – a little bit bias here, but I think he is showing so far this year he can drive a sensible race and also has the pace to overtake other drivers.

Bianchi, fairly obvious, although stupid mistake in Sunday’s race cost him and Van de Garde a good battle. Also I think Van de Garde should have a drive sometime in the future.

I think Valsecchi is showing his worth, but whether he has spent too long in GP2 remains to be seen.

World Series by Renault:

Not the best of seasons so far as doesn’t provide as good races as GP2. But I think the obvious choices would be Daniel Ricciardo, Vergne and Rossi.

It would be good to see a Frenchman back on the grid, and also an American.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.