Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 6 hours ago

F1 discussion

Which past drivers do the current drivers remind you of?

This topic contains 53 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of raymondu999 raymondu999 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

@Jack22 What point are you saying with Monaco 2010 and Spain 2011? Those were great races, but what exactly was Mansell/Prost-like about those?

Anonymous

@raymondu999, in non of them was the prost element present in my opinion… but the Mansell was present in both at certain points of the race…. Monaco, well, seeing FA fight from the back was epic…. All the passes he did coming out of the tunnel and under braking was just brilliant work… 2 of them were going throught the inside and the las one, he went the long way around!! Excellent!!!
    Spain… well…. The start is just EPIC!!! Even JB and SV were commenting about it at the podium…. and he did what he could until he went for the hard tyres… after that, it was just a disaster…

The prost in Alonso would be performances like in Brazil 2006, didn´t win the race yet he secured the championship… or abu dhabi 2010…. he ran a good race but Ferrari messed up…. So yeah… he is a very calculating driver, risks when he has to and doesn´t when he doesn´t have to. Overall he´s VERY complete and always squeezes out every bit of performance out of his car and himself!

GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

Lewis will always get Senna comparisons, a McLaren driver, handy in the wet with a yellow helmet, as pretty good round street circuits and never far from controversy

raymondu999
    Participant

@GeorgeDaviesF1 to be fair; most people in this thread are comparing Lewis with Gilles or Mansell; not really with Senna. The only thing that keeps harking back to Senna is really that Lewis is a big Senna fanboy.

Anonymous

@raymondu999 Thanks for making that clear… it kinda bugged me. I mean Hamilton is good and all and that is why I compared him to Gilles because Gilles was brilliant but sometimes proved to have a very hot head! I think we have yet to see another Senna and Frankly y doubt we will ever see one!

In order to compare any of the current drivers to him…. F1 would have to lose DRS, KERS, etc., in order to really be able to compare someone´s talent to his. And even then, there is so much aerodynamical downforce now, that it still wouldn´t be comparable to what he achieved… all in all, I think Senna´s rank as THE BEST is very secured!

Slr
    Participant

I’d compare Petrov with Juan Pablo Montoya, as both of them have had many incidents with Michael Schumacher, though Montoya is a hell of a lot quicker (and fatter) than Petrov

Journeyer
    Participant

Here’s mine:

1. Sebastian Vettel: Michael Schumacher – Yes, I know he’s still active, but the similarities are uncanny. Success at a young age, backing from an F1 team owned by a non-automaker company (Benetton then, Red Bull now), and LOTS of speed.
    2. Mark Webber: Riccardo Patrese – Raymondu was spot on here. Both have good pace in good cars, but have encountered too much misfortune to make full use of it. When the fortune did go their way, it was against teammates that were very difficult to beat.
    3. Jenson Button: Denny Hulme – This one is interesting for me. Both for me are underrated because they’ve only taken one title apiece, but many forget that both beat their much more illustrious (and famous) teammates. Button beat Hamilton last year, Hulme beat none other than Sir Jack Brabham to the 1967 title.
    4. Lewis Hamilton: Nigel Mansell – They’re currently alike in terms of aggressiveness (and success rate). Unlike Nigel, though, Lewis won his first title young, and has lots of time to win more.
    5. Fernando Alonso: Alain Prost – This one’s a slam dunk for me. Alonso isn’t the type who’ll go out and try to win every race. But in every year where Alonso won the title (or came close), it was because of his stunning consistency and racecraft. Think about it – they won’t always win, but they will always bring the car as high as anyone can. So while their rivals kept dropping points due to unreliability or driver error, they were always there to pick up the spoils.
    6. Felipe Massa: Carlos Reutemann – Both are South Americans who had a rough start to their careers, but fought back to contend for a title. Both also came THIS close to winning a title, but were never the same after falling short.
    7. Michael Schumacher: Niki Lauda – Admittedly, this one is a bit of a stretch, but it’s the closest comparison I can make. Michael didn’t exactly get burned like Niki, but you can make a decent case for this. Both saw the most success at Ferrari (in fact, I think these two drivers gave Ferrari most of the success they saw in F1), and both made comebacks after their first retirement. Michael’s comeback isn’t quite on the same level as Lauda’s (yet), but who knows what Year 3 will deliver. That said, Michael’s comeback is already more successful stats-wise than the comebacks of Villenueve, Mansell (Australia 94 notwithstanding), and Jones – World Champions all.
    8. Nico Rosberg: Jochen Mass – Both are Germans with good speed behind them, but when they got their chance at a front-running team, neither have really shown anything that would mark them out as future Champions. Nico might still be able to avoid Mass’ fate of just 1 GP win if he gets a better car, but he needs to do better with what he has now to get that chance.

Will give more later. :)

australian
    Participant

Vettel. Charlie Chaplin

Webber. Dustin Hoffman

Hamilton. Eddie Murphy

Button. Richard Gere

Raikkonen. Daniel Craig

Alonso. Antonio Banderas

Massa. Robin Williams

Rosberg. Donatella Versace

Schumacher. Arnold Swatzanegger

Barrichello. Sylvester Stallone

Maldonado. Al Pacino Scarface

Sutil. Young John Travolta

di Resta. Young Sean Connery

Kobayashi. Jacky Chan

Perez. Orlando Bloom

Buemi. Lyle Lovett

Alguersuari. Fatboy slim

Trulli. Mel Gibson

Kovalainen. Rhys Ifans

Ricciardo. Elijah Wood

Liuzzi. Danny Devito

Alex Yoong – Sandra Oh

Anonymous

@australian “Rosberg. Donatella Versace” <

LMFAO!!!!

australian
    Participant

I was going to say Madonna . . .

raymondu999
    Participant

@australian Umm… The thread’s about comparing the current grid against past F1 drivers, not just anyone

Anonymous

@australian OMG!! I can´t stop laughing! jajajjajaja

australian
    Participant

So sorry,

raymondu999 said 11 hours, 8 minutes ago:

@australian Umm… The thread’s about comparing the current grid against past F1 drivers, not just anyone

Asanator
    Participant

@raymondu999 – No it isn’t, it is about who the current crop of drivers remind you of, it says so clearly in the title, nothing about drivers from the past.

My answer…..after watching Monza last year……Ladies all of em….Schumacher aside!

raymondu999
    Participant

@Asanator I distinctly remember that I opened it to compare past drivers to current ones. There changed it to make it clearer. (I am the opening poster in case you didn’t realize :P)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.