F1

Who will be the next repeat winner?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    raymondu999
    Participant

7 races, 7 winners. Who will be the first to nab 2 wins in 2012?

Who, what, when, where, why?

Or for those with a penchant for simplicity – just who and why. Maybe where. Have your say…

raymondu999
    Participant

I think Vettel may pull it off first, as early as the next race.

The next race is Valencia, where it’s all straights, braking, and traction. Coupled with the weather, it should be similar to Bahrain. Canada is arguably also similar, but Canada is slightly different, with more kerb-riding events and commitment under braking and traction.

Added to that, Vettel is mighty around Valencia. In 2008 (first Valencia race) he did the fastest ever lap of the circuit in Q2, and toppled his own record twice since then – with the 2010 and 2011 pole laps, respectively. Not to mention two dominant wins in 2010 and 2011, especially in 2011 when in the pitstop phases he was often quicker on old tyres than Alonso/Webber were on new tyres.

He showed supreme class last year too – he just maintained a 2.2-2.8s gap the whole race. Then he decided he was bored and did the last 5 laps qualifying style, extending said lead to 12s.

Fun fact: Since the Chinese Grand Prix, Vettel has scored the most points of any driver in the field.

matt90
    Participant

I’ve got a good feeling about Hamilton. Maybe at this race, maybe not if an 8th driver wins.

raymondu999
    Participant

@matt90 ah – so you’re putting it on Hamilton being the first repeat, at Valencia?

Bullfrog
    Participant

I’m going for Alonso in Valencia, on current form. He’s got momentum now.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s an 8th winner in this crazy season. If Grosjean or Perez can qualify well and make a good start (last time they managed it, in Barcelona, they drove into each other…) they could pull it off by stopping less than the others.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

I’ve got a weird feeling about Raikkonen in Valencia. As for the first repeat winner… Hamilton seems to have the wind behind his sails now, I’d love for it to be at the British GP…

matt90
    Participant

Yep, maybe in Valencia, although I wouldn’t put it past Grosjean, Schumacher or Raikkonen winning there instead.

Funkyf1
    Participant

Raikkonen will find his groove in Valencia, if not Grosjean.

duncanmonza
    Participant

Not that there’s any point in even trying to predict anything this year, I think either Hamilton, Alonso or Vettel in Valencia.
    There is a chance that an eighth winner will take victory in Valencia, mainly Schumi, Raikkonen or Grosjean, but I doubt it.
    Rosberg also has a chance at Valencia if the Merc is good enough. Webber is not usually that good at Valencia, but if we have another new winner, than he could be the first repeat at GB. Button has been dismal of late and I can’t see him improving dramatically in two weeks and the only other places Maldonado has a chance at winning are Hungary and Singapore.

infernojim
    Participant

No, Maldonado has no chance of winning anywhere else. EVER. Worst ever driver to win a race. I don’t like him one bit.

In terms of repeat winners, I agree that it will most likely be Vettel or Hamilton, and it will happen this weekend.

8 from 8 could happen, but highly unlikely.

Asanator
    Participant

Hmmm….well, only two drivers on the current grid have ever won around Valencia.

I must be able to get some good odds on a cheeky little Felipé bet!

;)

duncanmonza
    Participant

@infernojim I also do not like Maldonado at all, but he is certainly not the worst driver to ever win a race. He is actually a very fast driver. He’s been consistently fast this year and one of the best drivers of the year. The Williams is a pretty good car, so he can definitely win more.

matt90
    Participant

“and one of the best drivers of the year”
    I couldn’t disagree on that much more. He’s been generally fast, but far, far too error prone (/idiocy prone).

duncanmonza
    Participant

Yes, I should have said “one of the fastest drivers of the year”. He has made far too many rookie mistakes and stupid decisions.

DavidJH
    Participant

Got to be either Vettel, or a little less probably Hamilton. Would love it to be jumbo but Seb looks good for Valencia. If we are to have an eighth this year Grosjean looks the man. Didn’t like him back in 2009, though largely because of the hairdo, but am very impressed so far this season.

By the way, I’ve heard that Alonso, Hamilton and Vettel have never shared a podium. Can this really be true?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.