F1

Why does a car “pick up rubber” during the in-lap after a race?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Aish Heydrich
    Participant

I don’t know if these days cars do that but I remember previously the cars used to, after finishing the race the driver slows down and picks up as much rubber as possible. I have heard Radio messages where the driver is also told to do so. Why is it so necessary?

To increase its weight to ensure it passes the minimum weight check.

David-A
    Participant

@aish Because this gains the car some extra weight, without having to suffer for it during the race. The teams run the cars very marginally against the weight limit, so this helps to ensure that the car do not fail any weight tests.

EDIT: Argh! Beaten to it! :)

Hotbottoms
    Participant

@keithcollantine I’ve also heard that they make it to increase the height of the car. Is it true? Or in other words, is there a minimum height for the car and do teams try to make their cars as low as possible?

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

@david-a: Thanks mate. This issue was bothering me a bit. Even though Keith beat you to it, I consider your reply as the most helpful. :) Cheers.

tmekt
    Participant

I think someone actually got disqualified after some race (Kubica maybe?) because he forgot to do this and the car didn’t weigh enough

not sure though

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Can the intermediate tyres be faster than the slicks (soft or medium) in dry weather conditions?

raymondu999
    Participant

@tmekt wasn’t that Perez after his one stop in Melbourne 2011?

tmekt
    Participant

@raymondu999 I have no idea I didn’t watch F1 in 2010-2011

EDIT: according to Autosport it was because of the Sauber’s rear wing, both drivers were disqualified apparently

@aish In dry conditions, no. In conditions where the track is wet/damp but it’s not raining, yes. That’s what they are specifically designed for, whereas all the four dry compounds are designed purely for when the track is dry.

Aish Heydrich
    Participant

Thank you Magnificent Geoffrey. You are Magnificent.

I’m well aware.

Jimbo
    Participant

@Hotbottoms No the height of the car is controlled by the planks on the floor. Too much wear on those and you are deemed to have been running too low. Other surfaces are measured against the “reference plane” which is essentially the level of the floor.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.