• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 3 hours, 14 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Why does everyone hate Jenson Button?

This topic contains 61 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Josh Josh 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Slr
    Slr
    Participant

Because in my mind, in the past two years, I don’t remember Hamilton putting in that many whatsoever

I’d say last year Hamilton’s season didn’t get going until Spain, however after that I thought he was brilliant and he could have been in the championship battle to the end had bad luck not plagued him. Button only had a few great performances last year, other than that he either average or terrible.

I think it’s widely accepted that Hamilton not being in the championship battle with Alonso and Vettel last season was in spite of his performance during the year, not because of it.

Profile photo of JamieFranklinF1
    JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

I’m not saying that he wasn’t plagued with reliability troubles last year, but that doesn’t answer the question of how many ‘world-beating’ performances he put in in the past two, or even three years, or the frequency of those kinds of performances you need to put in to be seen as a true great.

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

The fact that he how he is the most popular driver is beyond me. I understand that this site is 33% British, which somewhat screws the poll results as UK’s F1 viewers worldwide is definitely less than that.

Strong evidence. In Febuary 2010, F1 Racing Magazine teamed up with FOTA to conduct the worlds biggest F1 fans survey which consisted of 90,000 votes from 180 different countries.

The results for ‘Which driver do you support’. These were the results in %.

Schumacher 19.5
    Alonso 9.7
    Raikkonen 7.2
    Massa 6.1
    Hamilton 6.0
    Kubica 4.3
    Button 2.6
    Webber 2.0
    Vettel 1.7
    Rubens 1.5

Button is far from being enormously liked. I also don’t think too much has changed since 2010.

Profile photo of DaveF1
    DaveF1
    Participant

Many people also hate Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, Schumacher, Raikkonen etc.

While I don’t hate any driver in particular (I have my dislikes), it all comes down to personal preference. Who you find the best driver, funniest driver, best personality etc all contribute to which drivers we like and dislike overall.

Come to think of it, F1 would be a bit boring if we all liked the same driver.

Profile photo of Slr
    Slr
    Participant

I’m not saying that he wasn’t plagued with reliability troubles last year, but that doesn’t answer the question of how many ‘world-beating’ performances he put in in the past two, or even three years, or the frequency of those kinds of performances you need to put in to be seen as a true great.

Well I did say that I thought Hamilton was brilliant last year which means I think he put in top performances very frequently. In 2011 he wasn’t fantastic, he did put in a few performances that people would expect from him, but he was generally disappointing. 2010 was similar to 2012, he frequently put in top drives throughout the year I believe. Hamilton deserves his status alongside Alonso, Raikkonen and Vettel, it is rare that people say at the end of a Grand Prix weekend “Hamilton was off the pace”. The same can’t be said for Button, last year he had more than his fair share off weekends where he was clearly of the slower the two McLaren drivers.

Profile photo of ME4ME
    ME4ME
    Participant

People like to be entertained, to be supriced, to get to see something amazing. Alonso can take a terrible car and still finish on the podium. Hamilton can go all out weekend after weekend, hit Massa a couple of times, but still make it worth it cause of his great wins. Vettel can on his day blow everyone away in Q3. What can Jenson do that is spectaculair? He is a solid driver for sure, takes good points, makes great decissions, can take care of his tyres. But do something impressive, entertain? .. not that often. Most of the time his driving is boring. That, and his complaining over team-radio make a group of people dislike him. Another group may like him, cause of his personallity, and make him “the most populair driver”.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

@Bendanarama

I am not saying that Button himself put a categorical end to McLaren’s ability to compete. He didn’t intentionally do so but the results simply have been disappointing since Button joined.

Even in 2011 which is Button’s best year, he outscored Hamilton by 18 points excluding Canada where Button took out Hamilton, a season in which Butotn had fewer mechanical issues and almost no drive through penalties. That’s 1 point per race and when you factor in the drive-throughs that Hamilton did, Button’s performance does not look good – in fact, it looks worse than Hamilton to me…

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

I’m in an odd place with it. Button was the first driver I supported, since 2004. However, when Hamilton entered the sport I had a new Brit to root for at the front while Button was having a shocking time. Hamilton coming so close in 2007 cemented me as a fan of his, and this was increased when he won 2008 the way he did. Then I was incredibly happy to see Button win in 2009. At this point there wasn’t much conflict between the 2 in my affections because they had spent 3 years not really racing against one another. I already knew that Hamilton was the faster and more exciting driver, even though Button came across as a far more likeable character. So I enjoyed Hamilton having a great 2010 while Button showed that he could compete with the best by keeping in touch, and it was nice to see Button having a great year when Hamilton had a wobble in 2011. The problem is that I do think Hamilton is comprehensively the better driver, and I’d like to see his results reflect that, which does effect how much I root for Button. This will be particularly true this year. With Hamilton out of the title hunt, Button is my favourite, but the idea of him having 2 titles to Hamilton’s one doesn’t sit right.

Profile photo of AdrianMorse
    AdrianMorse
    Participant

I doubt many people hate Button, especially on this forum, though I would say some people are quick with disparaging comments about his driving skills. I think he’s a very strong driver with one notable weakness: tyre warm-up (and perhaps he’s a little more senstive to a bad set-up than his former team mate Hamilton). If in 2013 tyre warm-up is not a problem – as it seems – and the McLaren is good – as it also seems – then Jenson should be a title contender. Note that he did win the title in 2009 even though he suffered from tyre warm-up problems in the second half of the season then, too.

As for my personal preference, my situation is somewhat comparable to @matt90. Prior to 2010, Jenson was always one of the guys I liked to see do well. When he teamed up with Hamilton, this changed for me in the sense that I didn’t like to see him do well at the expense of Lewis. In 2010 there was not much to feel ‘threatened’ about. Jenson finished ahead of Lewis on a number of occasions, but not because he had been faster; cleverer, perhaps, and luckier or less accident-prone. In 2011 that changed, particularly in the second half of the season, when he often better managed his tyres, or even on pure pace on Sunday (as well as not driving into Massa all the time). In 2012 it was Jenson who struggled, but if he takes the 2013 title that will, however petty this may be, leave a sour taste in the mouth with me.

A final thought on his popularity: having the most number of supports does not necessarily equate to being the guy most people root for. Especially because he is such a likeable guy, people might list him as a driver they support, even if he is not their number one favourite. Among the drivers I support are Hulkenberg, Webber, Grosjean, and Ricciardo (I wanted to add Van der Garde recently – in fact, I thought I might like to be the first to support him – but I couldn’t add him yet, @keithcollantine), though only if Hamilton has a bad weekend do I have a sour mood on Monday.

Profile photo of JamieFranklinF1
    JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

I can definitely agree that tyre-warm up is Jenson’s main problem, which obviously has a great effect on his one lap pace. But people complaining about his ‘complaining’ really bothers me. He says these things on the team radio in order to inform his engineers that these problems are going on, and something that the team can work towards to fix in the future. Why would any team want a driver which just puts up with these problems, when the car has the potential of going faster? I haven’t seen Honda/Brawn, nor McLaren mention that they are fed up with his feedback, so the fact that others are makes little sense to me, especially as I’m sure he is not the only driver to give such feedback on a regular basis.

I’m sure that this year, with pull-rod suspension, his one lap pace should improve, as the tyres will be able to warm up easier, and suit his style more.

But still, I can’t see how his ‘bad days’ are any worse than Hamilton being crash-prone (especially during the 2011 season). The middle of this season was Button’s worst performance during his McLaren years, but it was quickly remedied by a podium in Hockenheim, and a win in Spa.

The only thing that I see that Jenson is inferior to, compared to Hamilton is qualifying pace, but I think his intelligence, and decision-making, particularly in changeable conditions definitely makes up for this, as does his ability to conserve tyres.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

Wow, Vettel didn’t even make the list. Kimi is 3rd above Alonso? That came as a surprise.

Profile photo of Giggsy11
    Giggsy11
    Participant

What can Jenson do that is spectaculair? He is a solid driver for sure, takes good points, makes great decissions, can take care of his tyres. But do something impressive, entertain? .. not that often. Most of the time his driving is boring.

I don’t think you have ever seen Jenson in changeable conditions, he is unbeatable and that is no exaggeration.

Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

@michael

See my post above.

While I’m not trying to trash talk F1Fanatic’s poll or anything, but the problem is that because 33% of this site is British, which somewhat screws the poll results as UK’s F1 viewers worldwide is definitely less than that. Truth is, that from a global perceptive, Hamilton and Button are far from being anywhere near the most popular F1 drivers. As F1 Racing Magazine’s poll showed, that prize goes to Michael Schumacher, followed by Fernando Alonso, and then Kimi Raikkonen.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.