F1

Why don’t Ferrari buy HRT?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Omar de la Cruz
    Participant

I came upon this idea from a comment on one of James Allen’s articles. Is it feasible and would it be a reasonable venture for Ferrari to buy HRT? I believe they have the financial resources to acquire a small team, and it would be of huge benefit to them. Just some of the benefits that I could think of include a driver dev’t platform like STR is to RBR. They can also field test radical solutions simultaneously with the “main” team. As long as Ferrari can fund a wind tunnel replacement, of course. Add to that a flavor of conspiracy for additional drivers to give way to Alonso (given he has the best chance for the WDC).

I hope I don’t get some bashing for fielding this idea here, but I am curious as to what can make the idea ridiculous. Of course many of you here have much much more inside and critical knowledge than me, kindly enlighten me please. :-)

sozavele
    Participant

I think it would work well, Fiat F1?

Nick
    Participant

The problem is that HRT is looking more and more like an empty shell. From what I’ve read across the web, their buildings are leased, they’ve laid off a lot of staff, including the ones designing the 2013 car, which would probably be miles off the Toro Rossos. I’m pretty sure the FIAT group has other things on its mind as well, with the American market for instance, F1 wouldn’t do that much good.

Fiat F1 might sound nice, but does Fiat really need a team that struggles to get to the 107% in Melbourne, when Fiat cars are just getting rid of their old reputation of slow, unreliable cars?

Journeyer
    Participant

Basically, Ferrari would only be buying the entry. There wouldn’t be much else of use in the team. They’d be better off designing a new car from scratch borrowing concepts from Ferrari’s 2012 car.

Omar de la Cruz
    Participant

That was what I was thinking. Ferrari only needs the entry for the next season. They could practically field a photocopy of the F2012 and get on with it. It would not be far from possible for it to bang shoulders with the midfield teams, I guess. It would be great for Fiat surely if they pull that off.

Nick
    Participant

Actually, building a team from practically nothing in between now and March would be a HUGE challenge. Fielding a photocopy would not be that simple either, since they can’t buy the design, nor copy it, without the FIA knowing. Plus, the HRT staff are nice guys for sure, but can they get the F2012 running like Ferrari did this year? Or even without getting banned by the FIA?

For 2013 I think it won’t be possible. Besides, Toro Rosso isn’t the best way for RedBull talents to move forward, just ask their 2011 drivers..

Guilherme
    Participant

The only thing that could interest Ferrari would be their license, but if they really wanted to field a second team, they could have taken the 13th slot. Starting a team from scratch and buying HRT remains are pretty much the same thing.

Omar de la Cruz
    Participant

Hmm valid points from Nick, really makes the idea kinda far-fetched. And of course I forgot that if Ferrari wanted to they could have used the 13th slot. And I’m sure it would race a thunderstorm of controversy if they did that. Of course we have to remember that STR was established way before Red Bull’s dominance. If it were done today, I doubt it would happen, much less for Ferrari.

Ben Furtula
    Participant

Ferrari Buying HRT would be a nice investment if only HRT were a good team to start off with anyway. Because does Ferrari really want a team that struggles to make the 107% time at almost every race? I do like the name though; Fiat F1

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Why don’t Ferrari buy HRT?

Becuse they don’t want it.

Gabriel Fernando
    Participant

Why don’t Volkswagen buy HRT?

Ben Furtula
    Participant

Haha Good point @matt

Participant

SAAB should come out of bankruptcy, but HRT, and hire Stefan Johansson and Stig Blomqvist as their drivers.

You heard it here first.

Ben Furtula
    Participant

I don’t think so.

moshbeard

Not much point any one buying them now, or at least any one with decent funds to put in. Since they’d have to wait a year I think any one with real money to put into it could probably have a better car by then and their facilities aren’t worth having since you need to be in the UK unless you’ve already very well established.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.