F1

Why were we not shown replays of Bianchi's incident?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    himmatsj
    Participant

In the past 12 years I have been watching F1 (since 2003 Australian GP), I have not seen the FOM broadcast self-censor an accident on the track, however horrifying it may be. Ralf Schumacher in USA 2004, Robert Kubica in Canada 2007, Felipe Massa in Hungary 2009 are just some of the horrifying accidents where the average viewer would have thought the outcome would have been fatal for the concerned drivers.

Yet, in all those cases, replays were shown (some may have even been caught live).

Where replays are concerned, anytime there is a huge shunt or accident, usually the Race Director (of the feed) cuts to the scene of the incident within 5 seconds, and a replay is shown within 10 seconds.

Now, my question is, why was Bianchi’s incident not shown on replay.

And a further question is, how did they manage to do this? Like I said above, there is usually a 5-10 seconds lead-on time to show the scene of the incident and a replay itself, which means it is near-instantaneous and spontaneous. Yet, in this case, the Race Director spontaneously chose not to play the replay. Was it because the accident was too graphic (even though no accident has ever been self-censored before this)? Is there anything we can extrapolate from this?

I’d appreciate some insightful responses from members of the community, especially from those who know the inner workings of live sport feeds. Thank you!

MemorableC
    Participant

to quote @gt-racer in the news posting

“Its FOM policy to not show replays of serious accidents during a live broadcast until a drivers condition has come back as non-life threatening.

If during the live broadcast its not certain that the driver will survive no replays will be shown. If Jules pull’s through its possible that some footage of some sort will end up on the end of year review, However if he succumbs to his injuries or if his life is permanently altered by the injuries then its likely they will never put the official footage out.

There is also no chance of a leak from FOM as there the only one’s to have access to footage not played out live & its not something that can be accessed without authorization.”

I have noticed this trend change in recent years, and for the better I feel.

himmatsj
    Participant

Is this a new policy? I’m pretty sure Massa was knocked out in Hungary 09 and he was in a life-threatening situation, but if I recall correctly, replays were indeed shown.

MemorableC
    Participant

I personally am not sure, It may have changed after Massa’s accident, it could have changed as recently as Dan Wheldon’s death.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.