F1

Will Petrov ever win a GP?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    PieLighter
    Participant

I’m not sure what to think of Petrov – we haven’t really seen him shine.
    After his recent signing with Caterham I had to wonder – will he ever stand on the top step?
    If he does though, it will be awesome to hear this ringing out over the podium:

Roald
    Participant

No. His job to prove me wrong.

Slr
    Participant

I doubt he’ll ever get a car good enough to win a GP. Petrov isn’t that good, I can’t see why a top team would sign him.

After Melbourne last year (where I cheered him on the podium from the grid after his deserved podium) I thought he had found something extra. Unfortunately, the rest of the season wasn’t quite as impressive, so I don’t know what to make of him.

PieLighter
    Participant

Slavsya, Otechestvo! Nashe svobodnoye.

That is all.

Enigma
    Participant

I thought this would be played when he would win:

http://youtu.be/oavMtUWDBTM

via @magnificent-geoffrey (if I remember correctly)

PieLighter
    Participant

Eduard Khil FTW! :D

Todfod
    Participant

Even if Vitaly was driving an RB7 or RB8 he wouldn’t stand a chance. Some guys just don’t have it, and Vitaly is one of them. A huge waste of space on the grid IMHO

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Todfod he managed a superb podium in a Renault so I wouldn’t totally write him off.

He could but he won’t is my feeling. He’s in Caterham and I don’t think he’ll advance team wise so no.

matt90
    Participant

He could, but he’d need a very solid car underneath him, and I don’t think he will progress beyond the midfield, so no.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@todfod, I´m a Ferrari fan…. and an Alonso Fan… and as much as i hate him for it…. Petrov IS GOOD… he was able to hold off Alonso in abu dhabi…. for quite a number of laps…. The art of defensive driving requires SKILLS buddy so cut him some slack…
    IMHO Renaults 2 podiums las season where “payment” for Vitaly´s blocking in abu dhabi but hey… that is just my opinion… Guess who I think it was payment from!

raymondu999
    Participant

@Jack22 to be fair – Abu Dhabi is hardly a place where overtaking is easy. The only real place you could overtake is the straights; and there Petrov had the edge. Where the Ferrari had the edge; was where it was impossible to overtake.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@raymondu999 – then perhaps you should re-visit Istanbul 2010. Alonso was stuck behind Petrov for thirty-two (I think) laps, on a circuit where passing is much easier. Even then, Alonso only got past when they made contact and Petrov got a puncture. It was particularly funny to hear Alonso’s race engineer tell him that Petrov would melt within three laps.

Todfod
    Participant

@Jack . No doubt I’m a huge Alonso fan, but that doesn’t change the fact that Petrov got 1/5th of Kubica’s points in 2010.

It also doesn’t change the fact that Petrov was getting beaten by a lacklustre Heidfeld last season

… and lets not forget a mid season appearence by Bruno Senna saw Vitaly get hammered in quali as well.

Abu Dhabi 2010 was actually one of Vitaly’s best performances, unfortunately though, he has way too many rubbish performances to be considered a decent driver

TheJudge
    Participant

If he ups hes driving and motivation (Stops being just a russian ad product) and manages to stay in caterham till the time they become a top team (if they will ever,ofcourse) then yes,I can’t see a reason why he couldn’t win. Last years podium was pure luck and we all know it,but he has some true speed in him,but he haven’t showed it yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.