F1

Will Red Bull dominate F1?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    rfs
    Participant

Does anyone think that Newey’s Red Bulls can be beaten next season? Or the season after that? I think Vettel’s guaranteed to have the best car for the next couple seasons at least. If he can cut out the errors he made in ’09 and ’10, and his car’s reliability improves, he could have a Schumacher-esque level of domination despite Alonso and Hamilton arguably being better drivers.

Scribe
    Participant

Nope, McLaren rather failed to stay top after the Newey years of 99 and 98. THings in F1 change, Newey himself said he’s thriving on fresh regulations, as his teams generally do, in 2011 I reckon they could be very strong, don’t know about 2012. Whole new game in 2013 would expect his team to do well.

I think Ferrari and McLaren will produce cars closer to the Redbulls pace next year, an closer for 2012. Hamilton and Alonso are still in my mind better drivers than Vettle so if they have the cars, they’ll take him.

rfs
    Participant

“McLaren rather failed to stay top after the Newey years of 99 and 98.”

But a big reason for that is Ferrari’s dream team was there to beat him. Ferrari and Mclaren don’t have anyone to match his talent. Maybe Ross Brawn at Mercedes can come up with something special again?

“Newey himself said he’s thriving on fresh regulations, as his teams generally do.”

There are a couple of reg changes coming next year, like the adjustable rear wing, and the return to single-deck diffusers. At the start of 2009 the Red Bull was the best single-decked car so I don’t expect Ferrari or Macca to come up with anything better two years later. I think the competition’s only hope is that the new Pirelli tyres don’t suit the Red Bulls. Otherwise I think the gap to Red Bull will increase.

wasiF1
    Participant

Newey car will be good,we seen that there have been the turbo era, ground effect era now we are in the aero era so where will Newey be as I don’t think he is leaving or the team will leave him Red Bull will be there in the top 3 from now on.

Todfod
    Participant

Gotta agree with rfs on Red Bull getting it right with the single diffuser. In 2009 they were the best single diffuser car hands down, and infact even quicker than Williams and Toyota (double diffuser cars). Next year I expect Red Bull to be up there again, but probably not as dominant as they were this season. Ferrari and Mclaren worked on their KERS systems pretty well, and I think that should be an advantage next year. I think next year could be a cracker of a season. Mercedes have been working early on their car for next year, Ferrari and Mclaren should be up there, maybe Renault, as well as the Red Bulls. Maybe a 6 way shootout for the title in Sao Paulo?

Icthyes
    Participant

I don’t think they’ll dominate even next year, let alone for a few seasons.

rfs, the Red Bull was indeed the best SDD car out there, mostly because McLaren, Ferrari and Renault concentrated quite a bit on KERS. Now it’s all figured out, there should be no real advantage. The SDD on these spec of cars was barely developed, so it will be pretty even amongst the teams.

Ferrari might have been competing for more of the year had they not wasted a lot of time on the F-Duct, but even then the only places they were that weak at this year were Turkey and Spain; if Alonso can manage to hold it together this time they’ll be a lot closer. McLaren hopefully will revert back to their old strengths, if not they’ll be in big trouble with no F-Duct advantage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don’t think they’ll dominate like this again either. If they improve their design slightly, Ferrari and Macca will presumably have caught up some by next season. And Alonso and Hamilton are better shoes than young Seb. (for now). Although Webber is stronger than Button and infinitely stronger than Massa, I still say the deck is stacked against RBR defending their title unless they have significant and bespoke innovations they’ve been waiting to introduce. I’ve got to believe that the gig is up with the super flexing chassis of the RB6. Ferrari and Macca will not de duped again in 11′. Lastly, the RB6 was an unlikely candidate for either championship based on its reliability, or lack thereof. I’d bet that if Ferrari and/or Macca were closer in times to the RB6, more failures would have resulted. The RB6 did not show well when being driven at 100% – particularly in Vettel’s hands. So if next years competitors have closed the gap some, the gain could be multiplied if reliability woes strike in the wake of Red Bull having to really fight on track – instead of cruising around on restricted revs until Q3 where they turned up the wick for 2 laps.

Lastly, I think the racing will be better next year with Pirelli. Bridgestones that last the whole race distance are really not in the spirit of competition. The Pirellis will change that and improve the spectacle.

Skett
    Participant

^Agree with the doc on the tyres, Pirelli have said that as long as the teams don’t start complaining about them they want to make the tyres a bit softer to bring a bit more strategy and tyre care into the races. Not sure what it has to do with the topic though!

I personally don’t think that the red bulls will be so quick in comparison next season. Lets face it, Mercedes had the best kers system, and mclaren now know how to use it, so we can bet that at least one of those two teams will be up there. And lets be honest, you can never count out ferrari.

Red Bull may use the renault kers system though which, as far as I can remember, didn’t seem too bad, though I’m sure Christian horner will complain that its lacking in comparison to the others!

Overall, could be interesting finding out!

Todfod
    Participant

Mercedes had the best KERS team?? Am I missing something? I thought Brawn didn’t use KERS at all last season, and that the KERS system belonged to Mclaren technologies and not Mercedes.

Skett
    Participant

I was under the impression that the kers system was owned by mercedes though. Could be wrong, my apologies if so

Icthyes
    Participant

Skett is right, the KERS system is Mercedes’ – Force India were in talks to use it but eventually dropped the idea.

US_Peter
    Participant

Yeah it was definitely Mercedes, not McLaren that developed their KERS.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lets hope they dont, domination is not good for any sport. We need competitive racing, another year like this year would be good..

RIISE

They shouldn’t do, Red Bull will fade back with the works teams dominating. Mclaren may do well but you can never tell with them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.