F1

Williams to switch to Mercedes power?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Funkyf1
    Participant

Just heard a rumour that Williams will be switching to Mercedes power, expect an announcement this weekend!

Did Merc offer a better deal than Renault or is the Renault engine not suiting the Williams chassis
    I think it’s snatch and grab time for suppliers in order to get commitment for development costs

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Renault have made it known that they want to scale back their engine supply arrangement. They feel that supplying three teams is ideal (though they’re willing to supply four). They obviously won’t give up on Red Bull, and they have an off-track relationship with Caterham. Toro Rosso want Renault engines, and given their relationship with Red Bull, it makes sense for them to use Renault, too. That means Williams and Lotus would have to find new deals. Lotus have been linked to a Honda switch in 2015, so they might keep Renault for an extra season on a one-year deal the way McLaren are sticking with Mercedes.

That would leave Williams as the odd one out. A move to Mercedes makes sense, because the Mercedes engine is probably the best on the grid. Especially in terms of raw power, which would benefit Williams and their flagging fortunes.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys,

never mind engines, bring back Ross Brawn to Williams! :-)

Funkyf1
    Participant

Williams need more than Ross Brawn. Ross is a great leader, but to be a great leader, you need a great car. The Renault dream reunion has not gone the way Williams has hoped and with the loss of Mclaren and the uncertainty of SFI, Mercedes would be crazy not to snap Williams up. I’m not so sure Caterham will stay with Renault myself as the have not gained what seems like any advantage from using the Redbull drivetrain and I’m sure it’s not cheap. Does Renault want to scale back engine supply as the might start their own team, again.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Does Renault want to scale back engine supply as the might start their own team, again.

No.

Cristian
    Participant

That sounds fairly right to me. Clearly the Renault engine isn’t fit for the already weak FW35, so Mercedes power might be a smart move. Also, I’ve heard that Renault’s 2014 engines will be the most expensive on the market, at around 25 mil and as Williams’s financial status isn’t exactly good, the less-expensive (yet still as good, I believe) Mercedes engine could solve that problem. And the, we have to consider that Merc will lose a team as of 2015 (when McLaren switches to Honda) and supplying Williams might be the key to keep the a certain equilibrium.
    So, there you go…a lot of reasons why this could (and should) happen.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Seems like there could be a big change around next year.
    WARNING MASSIVE RUMOUR BELOW

Ferrari
    McLaren-Honda (new rumour suggests that Honda could return next year rather than 2015)
    Mercedes
    Lotus-Renualt
    Red Bull-Renault
    Williams – Mercedes
    Force India (uncertain if they will even stick around for next year let alone its engine)
    Marrusia-Ferrari (they will almost certainly use Ferrari engines for next year)
    Sauber – Ferrari
    Caterham (unknown, maybe renualt)
    Torro Rosso – Renault (an anncoucement is being made soon about the switch)

And (hopefully) on Michellin tyres! :-)

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

McLaren-Honda (new rumour suggests that Honda could return next year rather than 2015)

That sounds completely ridiculous. McLaren have a Mercedes contract for 2014, and Honda don’t have enough time to build an engine in time for 2014.

Force India (uncertain if they will even stick around for next year let alone its engine)

They are already confirmed to have a Mercedes engine deal in place.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys

this site said they might be switching: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/williams-could-switch-to-mercedes-power-report/

electrolite
    Participant

Clearly the Renault engine isn’t fit for the already weak FW35, so Mercedes power might be a smart move

It’s a lot easier to suggest forthcoming changes for teams who’s current form isn’t great – it seems that Williams may be, just perhaps, starting to understand what’s going on with the FW35 (see Monaco Thursday practice 1).

Their problems are aero-based rather than with the engine. Plus they’ve only been with Renault power since the start of last year, so it’s a little early to jump to conclusions in my opinion. Plus, it’s perhaps a little late to be making that sort of switch, surely? I’m guessing there’ll already be a lot of correspondence with their engine suppliers now work on the 2014 cars has begun, with such a big change. Of course, I could be wrong.

@prisoner-monkeys your avatar. I massively approve.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

this site said they might be switching

One site saying it doesn’t make it true.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@Prisoner Monkeys,

lol, I’m not saying I disagree with you, I just didn’t want you to think its was my rumour :-D

Nick
    Participant

While Prisoner Monkeys has a good point in saying Renault is likely to be Caterham’s first pick because of their off-track work, I have seen their name mentioned in the engine rumors. It would seem they aren’t too happy about Renault’s engine prices, and are considering Ferrari or Mercedes power as well. Dutch sites are claiming the following;

Lotus – Honda (2015 or 2016)
    Sauber – Honda (same)
    Williams – Mercedes (2015, Renault deal ends this season, TBA soon)
    Toro Rosso – Renault (2014)
    Marussia – Ferrari (2014)
    Caterham – Ferrari (2014)

Mind you, they have people on the paddock. I’ve seen some blogs speculate Ferrari is going to supply half the field next season, but I don’t think Ferrari will expand beyond 3 teams.

I’d like a good engine shake-up to be honest. And silly season for suppliers can be really fun in hindsight too, I remember rumors Prost was getting Mercedes engines and McLaren switching back to Peugeot back in 2000..

JamieFranklinF1
    Participant

Renault wanting to lose a deal with somebody, and Toro Rosso wanting to pick up a Renault engine, combined with their relationship with Red Bull would suggest that both Williams and Lotus will need new engines. I don’t know what the current contracts are, or how long they last, but I’d expect something like:

Williams to switch to Mercedes, given the rumours, I guess it would make sense, especially with McLaren no longer using their engines. I’ve heard (I think from Autosport) that Honda won’t supply anyone else in 2015, so that could mean that Lotus will have to wait for 2016, if they want Honda. Sauber are likely to keep with Ferrari, with Marussia making the switch as well.

So, for me the question is what Lotus will do, if they do part with Renault. Ferrari or Mercedes for the next couple of years?

Funkyf1
    Participant

I don’t see Lotus ditching Renault, I expect Renault to still supply 3 teams being RBR, STR and Lotus. That makes investing in development worth while. Mercedes I believe will follow suit with 3 teams, themselves, SFI and Williams. Honda will be looking to supply more teams but the fact that they are no coming on board until 2015 makes it hard for teams to commit especially as they are yet to be proven.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.