F1

Worst car to ever win a Grand Prix?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Michal 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

The 2012 Williams is an interesting case because at some tracks Maldonado was genuinely quick. He qualified in the top six on six occasions, and in the top three on four occasions. However during the races he often had incidents or bad reliability (in Singapore for example) that meant he didn’t score anywhere near as many points as he should have done. And Bruno Senna was just consistently slow during the whole season. We can only wonder what was the true potential of that car if Williams had had a real top class driver.

Anonymous

@debaser91 I have to agree with you: the 2012 Williams I think was a very good car. But with Maldonado regularly failing to translate his often amazing pace with hard results, and Senna routinely finishing 8th, 9th and 10th, that season didn’t deliver anything near what it should have done for Williams.

Almost another topic: excellent cars that their average drivers failed to fully take advantage of!

I remember at the start of that season Raikkonen saying he’d been in negotiation with Williams for his comeback that year, but talks fell through and he went to Lotus instead. I wonder what Kimi would have done in the 2012 Williams!

Bullfrog
    Participant

@debaser91 Haha, I can’t get away with howlers like that among F1 Fanatics! I did mean Dallas – knew it was a street race, and I remember Nigel Roebuck mentioned the early Honda turbo and its all-or-nothing power delivery. The ’83 car was just underpowered I guess, not especially bad – and Rosberg’s Monaco win was all about choosing slick tyres on a drying track, and then disappearing off.

Enigma
    Participant

Not the worst ever but the STR3 deserves a mention. It was a pretty good car, possibly Toro Rosso’s most competitive one, but that it won a grand prix is pretty impressive.

David Not Coulthard
    Participant

That Leyton House thingie was so close……

PorscheF1
    Participant

I think the 2012 Williams would have scored much much better had it had two proper drivers. Maldonado threw away a 5th in Melbourne already if I remember correct.

Michal
    Participant

I would compare STR3 with F2012’s early form – midfield with great wet-weather performance driven by a top-class driver.

Regarding Williams’s 2012 car the drivers wasted its potential. Senna was regularly off the pace and absolutely deserved to be replaced by Bottas. Maldonado showed what was possible in qualifying but he also had thrown away a lot of points. Fifth in the constructors’ was absolutely within their reach.

Imagine Schumi and Rubens colliding at Indy 2005 and Monteiro would have won ahead of Karthiekyan and Albers… What that would have been!

David Not Coulthard
    Participant

@michal2009b A radio loss of at least 1 of the Ferrari drivers?

Enigma
    Participant

I would compare STR3 with F2012’s early form – midfield with great wet-weather performance driven by a top-class driver.

Well said! @michal2009b

PorscheF1
    Participant

F2012’s bad form is such a media thing, it was a proper racing car. Alonso is a brilliant driver but even he cannot do what he did with a ‘midfield’ car. The F2012 was a good car, no RB09 ok, but easily one of the fastest of the field for sure.

Michal
    Participant

It wasn’t definetely a quick car in the first four rounds. They got their Catalunya upgrades spot on and became much more competitive, although Red Bull and McLaren were usually quicker. F2012 wasn’t a bad car however, it was very good in the wet and had fantastic reliability, but sheer speed wasn’t their strength.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.