Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 3 hours ago

F1 discussion

Worst driver ever to win a championship?

This topic contains 80 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Kingshark Kingshark 2 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    matt90
    Participant

“Regarding Petrov, what reason did he have to defend from a so-much faster car for literally 75% of the race? It just seems so utterly pointless.”

That’s one of the most anti-racing statements I’ve ever read. It wouldn’t be pointless even if he hadn’t stayed ahead. But he did.

Guilherme
    Participant

@scuderiaferrarifanatic

It wasnt Glock’s fault in the sense that it wasn’t deliberate to gift Hamilton the title, but I am very pleased indeed he will never be in the top or midfield again so he cant pull another stunt like that.

Seriously?! I mean, seriously?!! You should be THANKFUL to Glock (and Kubica for that matter), for if it wasn’t for his and his team’s gamble Hamilton would never have fallen bellow fifth in the first place! And Massa would never have gotten close to the title at the end of the race. If you really feel like holding a grudge for something that happened four seasons ago, that’s your problem, but at least try to be humble and admit to your team’s mistakes. An exploding engine is misfortune and the Singapore race fixing is the most disturbing thing this sport has ever seen, but it was not Alonso who caused Massa’s botched pitstop, it was someone at Ferrari who released him too early. Stop blaming others for Ferrari’s strategical and operational mistakes.

Anonymous

Well, it seems that this is the correct thread to express myself and so I will only say that I feel that if anybody is undeserving of being a WDC it would have to be Button and Vettel.
    Both for different reasons.

Fer no.65
    Participant

@scuderiaferrarifanatic

Don’t let your “fanboyism get in the way”. To say Petrov shouldn’t have stayed ahead of Alonso, because he was slower, goes against everythng related to racing.

If Alonso was so much faster, then why didn’t he at least tried to overtake? Because the track didn’t allow him to make a move, and because he wasn’t that much faster than Petrov either.

Blame the track (which is perfectly acceptable, as it’s plain rubbish and shouldn’t be approved by the FIA in the first place… but that’s open for another debate), blame the characteristics of current F1 cars, the dependance on aerodynamic grip, whatever you want, but not the defensive moves (or the lack of them… Alonso simply couldn’t get close enough).

raymondu999
    Participant

@fer-no65 @matt90
    Hey come on – @scuderiaferrarifanatic is right. What reason did he have to defend from a so-much faster car? But that was Petrov’s rookie year – so we’ll forgive that mistake of not understanding how things work in Formula One.

More recently though – What reason did Alonso have to defend from a so much (8 tenths) faster car in 2012 Malaysia? He’s been in F1 for a decade – and as a double world champion – someone you’d expect to be an ambassador for the sport, he cannot be excused for not realising that in F1 you’re not allowed to defend against a quicker car. Absolutely preposterous.

It just seems so utterly pointless. I am over it, but I will never forget. I hope Perez one day gets the opportunity to screw him over big time in whatever way possible, on or off track.

As @scuderiaferrarifanatic once said…

Regarding Petrov, what reason did he have to defend from a so-much faster car for literally 75% of the race? It just seems so utterly pointless. I am over it, but I will never forget. I hope Alonso one day gets the opportunity to screw him over big time in whatever way possible, on or off track.

Kingshark
    Participant

In my honest opinion:

Most Complete Champion: Michael Schumacher or Juan Manuel Fangio
    Smartest Champion: Alain Prost or Fernando Alonso
    Fastest Champion: Ayrton Senna or Jim Clark
    Worst Champion: Jacques Villeneuve
    Luckiest champion: James Hunt
    Unluckiest champion: Nigel Mansell
    Most Underrated Champion: Keke Rosberg

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.