F1

Would Hamilton (or another driver) yield for Alonso in Brazil?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    mclaren
    Participant

I had this question playing on my mind for quite some time now,given Hamilton’s current form, it would not be impossible to see him leading at interlargos, now, if he was leading, and him winning would cost Alonso the title, would Lewis move over for Alonso if by him winning the GP, he would be crowned champion. I for one think if such a scenario arose at interlargos, Lewis probabbly would move over given the current love affair between the two and lewis making public that he feels Alonso is the more deserving of the two contenders. It almost felt yesterday on the podium, whilst claping their champaign bottles together that lewis was like, “dont worry pal, we’ll take him down together”
    However, Lewis just might get flash backs of 07, e.g) Hugary, and think otherwise.

Any thoughts?

andae23
    Participant

I don’t think so: Hamilton is still part of the McLaren team, and giving away a McLaren victory is simply not done, even if that would be the last race for that team.

magon4
    Participant

He wouldn’t do it.

raymondu999
    Participant

@andae23 to be fair – I don’t think it Lewis really cares what McLaren thinks after his last McLaren pitstop.

Kingshark
    Participant

He better do it. :P

Besides, it’s became quite obvious for anyone now is that for the past 2 years Alonso and Hamilton like each other far more than Vettel.

Frain stermin
    Participant

It depends on how faster Alonso will be. If Alonso is able to get in the drs zone and challenge Hamilton…and if they go wheel to wheel… im 100% sure Hamilton will be more gentle and will not make a huge resistance, but if Alosno is slow no absolutely he wouldn’t do it.
    In dry condition this is quite impossible to happen due to the fact that ferrari is slower than Mclaren and Red Bull…but in wet condition (without drs) this may happen….

raymondu999
    Participant

@fanser I could be wrong, but I think @mclaren is meaning move over like a gift

Not a chance in hell.

I find it incredibly tiresome when people project their assumptions about how the drivers view each other onto how they might compete with each other on the track as if this is some silly playground squabble. These are professional racing drivers competing in the pinnacle of motor racing.

Steven
    Participant

@keithcollantine I would agree. When it comes to discussions like this, I remember what Senna had said in that interview with Jackie Stewart, where he says that he’s a driver that always aims for 1st place, and if you’re not, then what’s the point? (In the ‘Senna’ documentary they made it seem like it was an interview after taking out Prost in Japan).

In any case, on the track, regardless of the championships of others, Hamilton’s #1 goal should be… well, to be #1 in the race.

In short: No. If Hamilton is up there this weekend, there should be no sympathy for either driver. Otherwise… what’s the point of the championship?

Michael
    Participant

There is no way any of those drivers would pass up a victory – victories are just hard to get especially in McLarens;-) Hamilton has just 21 victories in F1 – giving up 1 victory is 5% of his overall number…

The way things are going by age 31 (Alonso’s age) Hamilton is going to have fewer victories than Alonso and fewer WDCs. Poor guy – probably the most disastrous career in F1.

mnmracer
    Participant

@freelittlebirds
    He’s 13th in the all time standings for race wins; just 3 more before he breaks the top 10 (Fangio has 24). He has a better win-ratio than Mansell, Alonso and Lauda, among many, many others.

Regardless of WDC, I would not label it as “the most disastrous career in F1”.

Kingshark
    Participant

While I wouldn’t call Hamilton’s career disastrous, in some ways I can see where Michael is coming from. Think back to 4 years ago, November 2008. After only 2 years in the sport, Lewis has already won 9 races and a WDC. Currently he is only 23, almost 24 years of age. At this point, people were expecting him to break records after records, to revive the statistics books. Schumacher’s #1 status in achievements were already under threat. Now as we move forward in time, four years later, he is still stuck with one WDC and has left the second most successful team in the history of the sport for the team of Brackley, a team that has never proven to be capable of developing a car throughout the whole season and has killed many careers. He has won a couple of races each year, but ever since his championship winning year he has finished fourth or fifth on every occasion. Be honest, at this point and time we are only hoping that he doesn’t turn into another Jacques V, whose career took a surprisingly identical path to what his has.

Hamilton has not been able live up to the expectations nor has been able to live up to the promise that he once showed when joining F1 – but I do predict that he will win maybe 1 more championship and will still have some glory years, although he will not achieve this with Mercedes.

Michael
    Participant

@mnmracer
    Yes, I meant it in terms of potential and of course there have been far more disastrous careers especially for those who paid the ultimate price to compete like Bellof, Villeneuve, Clark. Most disappointing career might be more appropriate…

mnmracer
    Participant

As I have not answered the OP yet, let’s just get that out of the way: no way in hell.

As for Hamilton’s legacy, it’s hard to say, but I think he’s gone beyond Jacques Villeneuve (though Mercedes will be the definite answer to that, regardless of how good it is). After 2009, I was fearing it might go there, but ’10 and ’12 I believe have shown he has the potential to make the extra step.

There’s a few things to consider really:
    – When Villeneuve entered F1, the big names were just Schumacher and Hill. Villeneuve never challenged Hill like Hamilton challenged Alonso, and Alonso is clearly better.
    – Villeneuve failed to ‘latch on’ to the big names; 96-97 he was there, beyond there his name was nothing. That was the Schumacher-era, where Michael was taking on a different driver every other year. Hamilton has established him as one of the big names. Yes, Vettel’s been bringing home the gold, but the big three are Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso; it’s not Vettel vs Hamilton, Vettel vs Alonso or Vettel vs Räikkönen. It’s a multi-legend era, and Hamilton’s a big part of it.

If he stops next week, Hamilton will be remembered as one of the best single WDC drivers in history. The best? No perse, but certainly one that will be remembered.

matt90
    Participant

I agree with everything mnmracer said, including that there is no way in hell that Hamilton would up a final win with McLaren, and a chance to claw his way closer to Vettel and Alonso in total number of wins. And that would actually match Vettel in number of wins this year, and further surpass Alonso, highlighting just how well he’s driven and how unfortunate he is to not also be in contention. It would be quite a statement to make at the end of a season where he arguably lost an additional 3 victories due to bad luck.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.