F1

Young drivers test – Williams testing new exhaust system

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Valteri Bottas tested Williams first attempt on top-exiting exhausts for the next season.

This year is the worst ever season by Williams.
    Williams invested time, money, and resources to produce the tighest rear end design in an F1 car trying to achieve the best “coke bottle effect”, feat managed because of a new innovative gearbox design. What Williams didnt know was that Red Bull after “inventing” the coke bottle design reinvented the Blown diffuser that let all teams but Mclaren (who copy the design “In extremis”) eating dust.

1º Was Valtteris time set with the new exhaust? – 1’43.118

2º If so, 3 seconds behind the Red Bulls is very impressive? or it isnt? If you believe that Williams had a poor blown diffuser.

3º Is Vallteri Bottas a prodigy?

raymondu999
    Participant

Please tell me you’re not seriously reading anything into testing times. Fuel effect alone in Abu Dhabi will mean around 3.2 seconds. The tyres will add roughly about 6 to 8 tenths between differentt compounds; on top of that, there is an experimental 2012 tyre with a different construction being tested.

We don’t even know if they were going flat out – I know Ferrari were doing quite a few aero tests rather than going full bore

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thats why I was asking rather than assuming. Despite what youre saying, the exhaust system on the Williams should slow the car no matter what program they were running, still they were quite fast.

dragoll
    Participant

It’s important to note that Pastor Maldonado’s qualifying time was 1’41.760. For my mind, thats a step backwards for Williams, not forwards.

Raymond has hit the nail on the head, it’s impossible to take anything out of testing times. Especially considering you have no idea how good, and more importantly how timid, the new kids are in the cars, let alone all the tweaking stuff they do to setups, fuel, tyres and other testing bits and pieces.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It’s important to note that Pastor Maldonado’s qualifying time was 1’41.760. For my mind, thats a step backwards for Williams, not forwards.

There’s one small problem with that theory, @dragoll – Williams’ new exhaust system re-routes the exhaust away from the diffuser, so the FW33 loses the effect of a blown diffuser. All of the teams will experience a drop in mid-corner downforce next year.

dragoll
    Participant

@Prisoner_Monkeys That’s also a good point. There are just so many variables, which just adds to the argument that testing times can’t be used as indicators of gains/losses…

raymondu999
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys more importantly the entry and braking phases will be compromised; but that’s the general idea. However do bear in mind that Williams’ exhaust blowing is rubbish; so they would lose less.

@dragoll @UKFan – track conditions are also a whole lot different. Some people don’t realize that track conditions make huge differences. I’ve never surveyed Yas Marina’s track surface in a track engineering capacity; but I’d venture as much as 2 seconds or more can be gained by track temperature, and surface evolution as well.

BasCB
    Participant

@raymondu999, I think that last year we saw Red Bull testing with the car more or less unaltered for a while and had Ricciardo setting times up to 2 seconds faster than the pole time. If I remember this right, we might have had indications from comparing the times, that the track evolved maybe even 3 seconds since qualification at the time.

raymondu999
    Participant

@BasCB thanks for that. I hate it when they talk of evolution in seconds…

BasCB
    Participant

yeah, evolution in seconds is more like big bang stuff @raymondu999! :-)

raymondu999
    Participant

@BasCB that wasn’t quite what I had in mind lol. I mean it would be a lot more accurate to say there is an x% worth of lap time in evolution rather than seconds…

BasCB
    Participant

Very much true @raymondu999, there is a big difference between 2-3 seconds a lap on a 1 mile oval and at say, Spa when you see it in a %. Same is true when its for an F1 car now or 20-30 years ago to compare

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.