F1

Your favourite DRS-free overtaking moves

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

DRS: I’m not a fan. You may have noticed.

But rather than just bang on all the time about how horrible it is, I wanted to find a more positive angle.

And that’s where this idea for a forum thread came from: post your favourite overtaking moves – from any four-wheeled racing championship – which did not involve F1-style proximity DRS.

To get us started, here’s Josef Newgarden surprising Will Power on lap one of last year’s IndyCar race at Barber Motorsport Park:

(Also, please just add one video per post, otherwise the pages will take ages to load.)

the_sigman
    Participant

I think I will go for this: Three cars in one go and in damp condtions by a rookie:

dragoll
    Participant

Ok, let me throw this one into the mix. I love wet weather overtakes, because they’re very opportunistic, but this one captures the moment so well. If you want to feel the build up and how tense it is, watch the video, as there is a minute lead in to this where you can see the struggle for traction.

dragoll
    Participant

Here is another one in the dry for the V8 Supercars last year at the Adelaide street track (a modified version of the one that the F1s raced at)
    Watch the lead up and the overtake, and then keep watching to the end of the race.

dragoll
    Participant

If you don’t like the V8 supercars, maybe something like WEC 2014 at Fuji, where a backmarker caused a moment and Olivier Pla managed to overtake around the outside.

dragoll
    Participant

This one from Hamilton in a GP2 is amazing at Becketts

roodda
    Participant

Schumi on Alesi 1995 Nurburgring is pretty epic to say the least

hunocsi
    Participant

No Hakkinen on Schumacher mention yet? :) What time period would you mean, @keithcollantine, DRS era or anytime?

Anyway I’m going to say either Ricciardo on Hamilton in the damp Austin last year in the long right turn, or this magic one by JEV, 2014 Sochi:

roodda
    Participant

Switchback city here in Fuji with Massa and Kubica going toe to toe. A lot of track limits abuse but still entertaining to watch!

JackySteeg
    Participant

Has to be this one.

PorscheF1
    Participant

Can’t find it but the Audi on the Porsche on the outside into Fagnes was also very good!

Formula Renault 3.5 has DRS, of course, but it’s not proximity-restricted and drivers can use it to defend as well as attack. Here’s Mathieu Vaxiviere capitalising on a mistake by Nicolas Latifi and lining him up beautifully for a pass around the outside of Pouhon:

Michal
    Participant

That’s just awesome, millimetres from an almighty accident:

roodda
    Participant

Still dark about the fact JEV is not in Formula 1

@Michal2009 That’s a great one I’d forgotten!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.