F1

Your Formula One calendar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Marco Freire
    Participant

(I think this topic has been done before.) With a number of Western European races under threat and and F1 moving to wealthy new markets like Azerbaijan, the countries where F1 goes to now is greatly different from what it was about 12 years ago. If you could decide the F1 calendar, what races would you have on the calendar?

You don’t have to choose previously held GP’s, you can go anywhere you like and to any circuit you like. But try to be realistic.

Anonymous
    Inactive

1. Melbourne, Australia
    2. Adelaide, Australia (1 and 2: double header)
    3. Singapore night race
    4. Silverstone, GB
    5. London, GB (4 and 5: double header)
    6. Dijon, France
    7. Monaco (6 and 7: double header)
    8. Nurburgring, Germany
    9. Zandvoort, Holland (8 and 9: double header)
    10. Montreal, Canada
    11. New York street circuit, USA (10 and 11:double header)
    12. Monza, Italy
    13. San Marino, Italy (12 and 13: double header)
    14. Spa, Belgium
    15. Suzuka, Japan
    16. Fuji, Japan (15 and 16: double header)
    17. Bridgetown, Barbados
    18. Mexico City, Mexico
    19. Sao Paulo, Brazil

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

I thought it’s a good idea to split up some races held in the same country, because people are unlikely to attend both races when they’re only a week apart, but tried to keep the order still somewhat logical.

1. Melbourne, Australia
    2. Sepang, Malaysia
    3. Long Beach, USA
    4. Montreal, Canada
    5. Monte Carlo, Monaco
    6. Spain (either modified Barcelona for better overtaking, Aragon, Jarama or Navarra)
    7. Imola, San Marino/Italy
    8. Hockenheimring, Germany
    9. Hungaroring, Hungary
    10. Red Bull Ring, Austria
    11. (somewhere), Finland
    >>> Summer Break <<<
    12. Silverstone, UK
    13. Nurburgring, Germany
    14. France (Magny-cours with small modifications, possibly modified Dijon, Paris Street Circuit, etc…)
    15. Spa-Francorchamps, Belgium
    16. Monza, Italy
    17. (somewhere), NZ
    18. Adelaide, Australia
    19. Suzuka, Japan
    20. Singapore (but on a modified, better circuit)
    21. New York, USA (either Watkins Glen, New York State or a street circuit in/near NYC)
    22. Mexico City, Mexico
    23. Sao Paulo, Brazil

For those who want to ‘keep it real’, here’s a reminder of which tracks are currently allowed to hold F1 races:

F1 at Le Mans, ugly cars and more of your questions

dragoll
    Participant

Sorry @keithcollantine I think keeping it real isn’t going to work for my calendar. The tracks are just going to have to shape up ;)

1. Brands Hatch, Great Britain
    2. Le Mans, France
    3. Jerez, Spain
    4. Monte Carlo, Monaco
    5. Melbourne, Australia
    6. Sepang, Malaysia
    7. Suzuka, Japan
    8. Road America, US
    9. Monza, Italy
    10. Nordschleife Nurburgring, Germany (old 22km track)
    11. Silverstone, Great Britain
    12. Magny Cours, France
    13. Spa-Fracorchamps, Belgium
    14. Imola, San Marino
    15. Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi
    16. Circuit Gilles Villenueve, Canada
    17. Circuit of the Americas, US
    18. Sao Paulo, Brazil
    19. Bathurst, Australia
    20. Fuji, Japan

Ok, so my calendar includes 2 trips to europe and 2 lots of fly aways.

• I felt that in honor of the 1976 championship that Fuji deserved final race.
    • New tracks to F1 would be Mt Panarama in Bathurst Australia, which currently hosts the famous Bathurst 1000 race, also Road America in the US, which is a personal favourite of mine, and Le Mans!
    • Making return to the series are Fuji, Imola, The Ring, Jerez and Brands.
    Marco Freire
    Participant

Bridgetown, Barbados… that’s a new one. F1 should have at least one race in the Caribbean.

Atticus
    Participant

1. South African GP – Kyalami (Perhaps the most traditional season opener location.)
    2. US GP West – Long Beach
    3. Monaco GP – Monaco
    4. Canadian GP – Mosport (Part one of a mid-summer American tour.)
    5. US GP East – Watkins Glen (Not in its traditional late fall spot – sun shines more in the summer.)
    6. French GP – Le Mans (Open that Mulsanne up.)
    7. British GP – Brands Hatch (One of the best circuits in the world, seriously…)
    8. German GP – Nurburgring Nordschleife (…behind this one, the pinnacle of all.)
    9. Belgian GP – Spa
    10. Italian GP – Monza (Open that first chicane up.)
    11. European GP – Silverstone (Would be fitting for it to regain its European GP status – the place where all begun.)
    12. Japanese GP – Suzuka
    13. Australian GP – Mount Panorama
    14. Singapore GP – Singapore
    15. Chinese GP – Macau (“Monaco on steroids.”)
    16. Brazilian GP – Interlagos (Scene of the most unpredictable title showdowns of all time, hands down.)

My calendar would be short, but full of content. Lots of street circuits, but lots of high-speed classic road courses as well. I spared most of all the newer stuff from it, only the really really big hits were included – like Singapore and the Interlagos final. The hardest thing was to choose a track for countries which have many many great circuits – like the US and Great Britain. Hey, I can’t even say it’s Europe-heavy and it’s reasonably feasible logistically – I kind of followed well-oiled European and late season flyaway schedules.

It would be nice to sum all the lists up after a while to see which are the most popular circuits around here.

Marco Freire
    Participant

Everyone has fine lists here, and to your list, @atticus-2 I would make 2 additions to it: I would also throw in the Mexican and Argentine GP’s between the Macau and Brazilian GP’s. Mexico would be at the Hermanos Rodriguez, and Argentina would be at the No. 15 variant of the Galvez circuit in Buenos Aires (the variant used from 1974-1981).

And yeah, for sure, I will sum up each circuit and GP to see which ones are the most popular.

Atticus
    Participant

@mfreire Good points. I pondered a lot about including the Hermanos Rodriguez, but I opted against it in the end because even its previous incarnation was a far cry from its original variant – and I don’t know much about the newest one in practice.

As for the Argentine GP, I agree, I should have put it in – but I’d put it in between Kyalami and Long Beach near its traditional early season spot. And I’d race the No. 12 circuit – that’s a blast judging from what it’s like to drive in sim.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

That’s a pretty nice calendar, @atticus-2. I would swap out Brands for the old Oesterreichring (now Red Bull Ring), but it does give a nod to the amount of NC GP races that have been in the UK, having the European round at Silverstone.

I like adding Hermanos Rodriguez (adding in the old hairpin) and BA no. 15 @mfreire! For logistics, I would put Monaco before Le Mans, with Silverstone after it (swapping European/British GP), and swap Singapore and Japan around. Much easier on the flying miles/classic timing of races, on that note Montreal to add some variety instead of classic Mosport.

Atticus
    Participant

@fastiesty Yeah, I thought about adding the Osterreichring, but I restricted myself to only add layouts that are still present. (And I don’t consider the Red Bull Ring good enough – I do in the current F1 calendar, compared to all those cookie-cutter Tilkedroms, but not compared to the other ‘members’ of this one schedule here.) And yeah, having the European GP in Silverstone does have that dimension – although it wasn’t intended, I just wanted to exploit every opportunity to bring in good tracks.

andae23
    Participant

Regarding ‘keeping it real’, I did take into account that circuits can be upgraded to a FIA Grade 1 circuit, but that only affected one GP.

1. Australian GP, Albert Park
    2. Brazil GP, Interlagos
    3. San Marino GP, Imola
    4. Monaco GP, Monte-Carlo
    5. Portuguese GP, Portimao
    6. Austrian GP, Red Bull Ring
    7. British GP, Silverstone
    8. German GP, Nürburgring
    9. Belgian GP, Spa-Francorchamps
    10. Italian GP, Monza
    11. Canadian GP, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
    12. GP of the Americas, COTA
    13. Singapore GP, Marina Bay
    14. Japanese GP, Suzuka

So it’s effectively a shortened calendar from around 2000, with the addition of Singapore, COTA and Portimao. Furthermore, the Brazil GP has been moved to the front, while the Canadian GP has been moved back to pair it with the US GP.

Some more notes: I did consider adding Zandvoort, but realistically it is not feasible to host a GP there, mainly due to traffic issues. Also considered a French GP, and Brands Hatch or Hockenheim as the European GP.

Marco Freire
    Participant

I have two calendars in mind. One is a potentially realistic calendar, and another is a dream calendar.

Potentially realistic calendar:

*= Modified layout
    **= circuit needs to be rebuilt to modern standards

1. Brazil (Interlagos)
    2. Argentina (Autodromo Gálvez No.15 or Portero de Los Funes)**
    3. Mexico (Hmos. Rodriguez)
    4. USA (COTA)
    5. Abu Dhabi (Yas Marina)*
    6. Monaco
    7. Spain (Catalunya)
    8. USA East (Port Imperial, New York)
    9. Canada (Montreal)
    10. France (Ricard)
    11. Britain (Silverstone)
    12. Germany (Hockenheim)
    13. Hungary (Hungaroring)
    14. Belgium (Spa)
    15. Austria (RB Ring)
    16. Italy (Monza)
    17. Singapore (Marina Bay)*
    18. India (Buddh)
    19. Japan (Suzuka)
    20. Australia (Melbourne)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting … no-one likes any of the new Middle East Tilke-dromes! What a surprise!

hunocsi
    Participant

Here’s mine:

1. Australain GP – Melbourne
    2. Bahrain GP – Sakhir
    3. Dubai GP – Dubai Autodrome
    4. Spanish GP – Jarama
    5. Monaco GP – Monaco
    6. French GP – Dijon
    7. Hungarian GP – Hungaroring
    8. German GP – Nürburgring
    9. British GP – Silverstone
    10. Montreal GP – Montreal
    11. Canadian GP – Mont Tremblant
    12. America GP – Road America
    13. United States GP – Laguna Seca
    14. European GP – Donington
    15. Belgian GP – Spa
    16. Italian GP – Monza
    17. Japanese GP – Suzuka
    18. Malaysian GP – Sepang
    19. Argentine GP – Termas de Rio Hondo
    20. Brazilian GP – Interlagos

So a bit shorter flyaway season at the start and end of the year, Malaysia moved and Argentina added to the latter part with Dubai to the first, Termas de Rio Hondo and Dubai Autodrome debuting in F1. In the European season the Spanish GP would go back to Jarama, and the French GP would return with my favorite circuit, Dijon. Hungaroring needs redesign and moving forward in the calendar. Nürburgring needs a small layout modification, but that’s only the chicane changed at the end of the lap to the one which now serves as a run-off. North America would get an exclusive 6 weeks at the end of summer, simply because there are too many great tracks there – Mont Tremblant making its return and Road America and Laguna Seca making their debut. The last change would be the return of the European GP returning to Donington Park.

(I’m genuinely surprised nobody else would keep Bahrain)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.