F1

Your thoughts on F1 and social media in 2017

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Social media technology is continuing to mature and I noticed some interesting changes in how some people in F1 were using it over the last 12 months. With that in mind I’m really keen to get your thoughts on what you like and dislike about social media in F1 and other forms of motor racing.

Who in your opinion uses social media well in Formula One? Are there any teams, drivers, journalists, publications or anyone else whose accounts you especially enjoy? Do you prefer Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other services? Have you ‘unfollowed’ any recently and if so why?

HUHHII
    Participant

I think Mercedes, Force India and Renault (especially in their Lotus days) are showcasing some brilliant tongue-in-cheek writing at Twitter. I don’t have a Twitter account but I’ve encountered some of their funny tweets via other platforms of social media and via F1 news site such as F1Fanatic.
    When it comes to drivers the absolute king of social media is Taki Inoue. No doubt about that!

F1’s official Facebook account is doing pretty decent job. Lots of content is being published daily. Would like to see more humorous posts from them though.

Also special mention for Sauber and their Reddit-account. It’s so cool when official F1 team takes part to conversations at /r/Formula1. I wish more teams and drivers would become active at Reddit.

WheelToWheel
    Participant

I agree with HUHHII that the twitter is really good with Mercedes, Force India and Renault always having great banter on twitter (the Mercedes Max Verstappen DODT, Verstappen and Mercedes emails etc).

F1.COM is really good now and they have that fun new series grill the grid and the 8 bit season review was great. Even on twitter and instagram they regularly post now. On Instagram there are more F1 funny pages like ‘the F1 Bible’ which is a hilarious meme page.

On youtube, more youtubers now do F1 content such as Aarava, Tiametmarduk, xMattyG, and there are more podcasts like Motorsport101,RacingLine, Pitlane Podcast etc etc..

I think Mercedes, Force India and Renault (especially in their Lotus days) are showcasing some brilliant tongue-in-cheek writing at Twitter

I agree with HUHHII that the twitter is really good with Mercedes, Force India and Renault always having great banter on twitter (the Mercedes Max Verstappen DODT, Verstappen and Mercedes emails etc).

See, this is really interesting to me because I find most of those kinds of tweets really unfunny. Occasionally one of them makes me laugh but more often than not it’s just the same kind of thing over and over again, and there’s so much of it it clogs up my feed and makes it harder to see the posts from other accounts which I find more interesting.

I have to say, I’m really surprised to discover other people enjoy that kind of stuff! Interesting to hear what others make of it…

However on the subject of Mercedes I must say I’m impressed how well they’ve tackled a lot of the stupid things people have said to them over the various Hamilton/Rosberg episodes over the past few seasons. It’s sad that so many people apparently believe there’s some kind of conspiracy going on but I admire how Mercedes have responded to it. I’m not sure I’d have the patience!

HUHHII
    Participant

@keithcollantine In what style would you prefer teams to report news on social media?

All teams have their own websites for interesting and exclusive articles. I don’t see social media as a platform for those. Sure they can provide a link for an article like that on social media and I get your point that they might be easy to miss especially if you follow huge number of accounts. However, social media is exactly that, social, so banter between the teams is to be expected. I really hope the “fights” between teams will stay as humorous as they are now.

I still giggle when I think of Lotus’ “it hurts a little bit” tweet about Kimi’s exit. I think that was far better way to report it compared to more serious way of sharing a link to an official press release or something.

@huhhii Well like I say I don’t mind them trying to do funny stuff if it’s actually funny. But very little of it is, to me anyway.

I get that this is subjective. If you find that entertaining and therefore get some value out of it, that’s good. But I’m curious whether many people do, as to me it seems completely valueless.

glynh
    Participant

I tend to use this site for news and just flick through Facebook. The only page I follow is WTF1 which has a good balance of humour and news.

Their recent article on F1 in the fifties was very interesting.

How about Instagram – anyone keen on that? I find it a much less useful version of Twitter…

WheelToWheel
    Participant

Me. I don’t use twitter but use Instagram.

Probably should have included a link to the F1 Fanatic Instagram page when I asked that! Here you go:

https://www.instagram.com/f1fanatic_co_uk/

Kingshark
    Participant

F1 is about 7 years too late to the party. I’m convinced that Formula 1’s complete lack of exposure on social media when it really blew up (around 2008-2010) has been one of the main reasons interest in the sport has gone down so much since the turn of the decade. Bernie and co are strongly to blame for this.

Bibs Daye
    Participant

I follow F1 and other related motorsports news on Twitter and Instagram – but I find Twitter most useful to keep me informed and updated on motorsports in general. But I must confess my interest is mainly academic as I’m researching the motorsport fan experience – I seeking to find out what fans like/dislike or what they are satisfied/dissatisfied with at motorsports events. Not really finding a lot of comments and forums to measure the sentiments of motorsport fans though…can anyone advise where there maybe such discussions by fans on social media?

Nicole
    Participant

I follow F1 mostly on Facebook but check time to time on my team on Twitter, Instagram etc, which is great to get the overview and latest news but so many sites to visit.. makes it sometimes chaotic. I liked when 10 years ago Renault had its own Forum on their webpage, everything was on one place. Now you have to check a few social media sites not to miss anything (and read the comments)

Michal
    Participant

It is chaotic, some info is only on twitter, some only on facebook, some videos only on f1.com, some only on YT, some on social media. However they are doing a pretty good job regarding it is only two years since the start. F1 has a lot of unlocked potential and hopefully Liberty will do some goods.

Lancer033
    Participant

they’re late to the party with social media, but i’ve got to say that they have come a long way since Liberty took over. YouTube in particular is actually pretty good now. Highlights from all the sessions posted shortly after and there’s a live fan forum on now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.