• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 2 days, 2 hours ago

F1 discussion

Video: Vettel’s ’yellow flag’ overtakes

This topic contains 206 replies, has 61 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bullfrog Bullfrog 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 196 through 207 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Profile photo of darkenforca
    darkenforca
    Participant

@Oletros

Unfortunately no, I was incorrect as to where I thought the Flag Points were.

I apologise if I confused anyone through all of this (I have a feeling that I did.), but it was an honest mistake. Trust me, I feel very sheepish after realizing this.

The point about the “Floppy Markers” still stands, but it just isn’t relevant at all.

Profile photo of Bob
    Bob
    Participant

Well, we can finally put the matter to rest. The FIA have confirmed that Vettel’s pass on Vergne was indeed legal.

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

So apparently Ferrari are already looking at another possible protest

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt

Regardless of the colour of the Flag, doesn’t this show Vettle is using KERS before he passes the flag, and thus he’s still breaking F1 rules?

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zcjssy.jpg

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@fluxocillin7 I don’t believe there is a rule which says drivers’ can’t use KERS in yellow flag zones. There is for DRS.

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt

@Keith

My apologies I thought it applied to both KERS and DRS.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys sorry for the slow reply (thread’s moving fast). Thanks for the info about the Valencia penalties. As I mentioned in my original post I’m more interested in the possibility of Vettel using KERS before the green flag rather than the overtake, which I believe was most probably legal. I have no idea what the usual penalty is for this since I don’t remember anyone ever falling foul of it but if it’s anything like the Valencia ruling then the FIA could decide on a light punishment and give a lesser penalty.

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt

Searching I find no explicit ban to KERS in a yellow zone, however drivers must of course back of and when Shumacher used DRS in a yellow zone the rules were clarified and at the same time it was suggested that using KERS would be seen as failing to back off.

Profile photo of Journeyer
    Journeyer
    Participant

Final thought on this thread: as far as I can remember, this is another incident where YouTube kickstarts a bandwagon that led to something more serious. The first one was after Fuji 2007 when Lewis was blamed by… wait for it… Sebastian Vettel for his crash with Mark Webber.

My point here isn’t about Vettel (I rooted for him over Alonso this year), but about YouTube. Will F1 finally acknowledge its existence and be more open to it? It was also YouTube that allowed us to see Maldonado’s Interlagos crash on Lap 2 as well.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

@fluxocillin7 that’s interesting. I guess Red Bull could have an argument that the KERS needs to by cycled every so often for reliability reasons, which could be plausible based entirely off how often their system fails. In saying that it makes no sense to use it right before a green flag when it could be used for a performance advantage. Plus using it where he did let him get a run on Vergne for his infamous pass.

Profile photo of Bullfrog
    Bullfrog
    Participant

Alonso’s just tweeted a nice picture of a load of yellow lights:

Viewing 12 posts - 196 through 207 (of 207 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.