• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of damonsmedley
  • Profile picture of Bradley Downton

F1

Public Group active 10 hours, 57 minutes ago

F1 discussion

Video: Vettel’s ’yellow flag’ overtakes

This topic contains 206 replies, has 61 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Bullfrog Bullfrog 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 207 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of celeste
    celeste
    Participant

My head hurts…

Profile photo of Mariano
    Mariano
    Participant

The FIA overruled a steward waving a green flag while under yellow flag conditions back in Monaco 2010 and penalized Schumacher for overtaking Alonso in such circumstances.
    Please watch the video at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8b0IQ0bHlg&feature=relmfu

Now I’m very confused with the hole situation as it looks like there’s an inconsistency in FIA’s criteria concerning this matter.

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

@mariano that’s not really an applicable example anymore. The rules were changed after that, and that’s more to do with the safety car regulations than flag regulations.

Profile photo of Mariano
    Mariano
    Participant

@raymondu999 Thanks for the clarification. Sorry but it looks that I’m getting too old to understand what the current rules are!

Profile photo of raymondu999
    raymondu999
    Participant

@mariano with the way the rules are written – some parts might as well be written in Hindi.

Profile photo of Mariano
    Mariano
    Participant

@raymondu999 lol.. I’m so confused that I’m considering retiring from F1 along with Schumacher!

Profile photo of crr917
    crr917
    Participant

In 2010 it was the last lap of the race and the SC was deployed. In the end of the last lap SC went in the pit to let the cars take the checkered flag. Mercedes thought it was OK to overtake. FIA said it was not.
    Last Sunday the race finished with SC in the last lap, too. No one overtook anyone when the SC went to the pitlane.

Profile photo of f1alex
    f1alex
    Participant

Wow, I didn’t realise this thread was still going…

Profile photo of Oletros
    Oletros
    Participant

@darkenforca

Is there written that flags takes precedence over the cockpit or the post lights?

Profile photo of Piero
    Piero
    Participant

@Oletros The rules only make reference to flags…

Profile photo of Oletros
    Oletros
    Participant

@collective

So lights are additional and low precedence?

Profile photo of John H
    John H
    Participant

Now making the bbc sport front page, permalink here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20531638

References a tweet by Alonso, somehow taking the high ground. Perhaps he could hand his Singapore race win back then. Bah.

Profile photo of John H
    John H
    Participant

On separate note, I’m much more concerned with a Toro Rosso just pulling to one side than overtaking in a yellow flag zone.

Profile photo of lubhz
    lubhz
    Participant

That BBC article doesn’t mention the floppy marker, and it indicates that the yellow flag area would be until the next green flag.

Profile photo of uan
    uan
    Participant

The BBC does mention a green flag at the Marshal post right after the pit exit:

” However, on the footage from Vettel’s car it is not possible to see clearly the marshals’ post that is situated on the inside of the track at the exit of the pit lane – after the yellow light at Turn Three.

It is possible that the marshal there was waving a green flag. If he was, the pass on Vergne would be legal and the result would stand.

A green flag is waved at that post as Vettel passes the Marussia of Charles Pic on lap three, but it is not clear whether it was still being waved on lap four. “

The in-car footage appears to show the green still waving on lap 4. I’m sure the FIA will have the footage from the far end of the straight that will show it clearly — it’s very clear on the broadcast the marshal swapping out the yellow for the green before Vettel comes by. On lap 5 you can also see that the flashing light at the exit of turn 3 has been turned to flashing green during the race (as the leaders went through).

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 207 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.