F1

zeros to heros – humble pie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    sbl on tour
    Participant

there must be drivers out there who you thought were pratts and then turned out to be the bees knees (or visa versa)

used to think webber was a right whinging aussie who wouldnt make it, how wrong was I, must say after what he,s had to put up with I hope he takes vettel and the championship,

conversely if alonso keeps going the way he is, I can him going from hero to zero (hope not mind)

James_mc
    Participant

I’ll have an enormous slice of humble pie from the West Frome Pie Company for Jenson Button please!

I thought when he first came on the scene he was over-loved and thus over-hyped by commentators and when he was in the awful Honda, a whining so-and-so (which I still think he is to a certain extent).

Ads21
    Participant

I never thought Kubica was a zero as such but at the end of last year I was saying he was massively over rated and I was massively wrong.

Mouse_Nightshirt
    Participant

Jacques Villeneuve. Thought he was the bees knees to start with and then he turned out to be an utter prat. Hope his “team” doesn’t make it as the 13th next season…

The other way round, Nico Rosberg. Just seemed like a corporate non-entity to me. Seemed nice but had no character, but I think he’s really beginning to blossom a bit on me and surprisingly it has nothing to do with beating Schumacher (since that doesn’t seem that difficult this season).

Sebastien Vettel is grudingly good but an utter prat otherwise. Used to like the kid too.

sbl on tour
    Participant

well said mouse, forgot about that pratt villenueve, cos he used to be good at the beginning

jihelle
    Participant

Damon Hill: When he lined up with Brabham I considered him as a non-entity cashing on his name and then turned out to be one of the best (to me anyway). Niki Lauda was also looked upon and considered a pay-driver in the beginning. The opposite examples are Mike Thackwell considered a rising star in 1984 before it ended up nowhere and Michael Andretti. I don’t agree about Jacques Villeneuve. He is (was) very talented but he made the wrong choice joining BAR and paid the price. Presently, I would say that Kovalainen is a former bee’s knees turning into a pratt and Sutil a former pratt on his way to better things.

matt88
    Participant

surely Button, but i still think he’s slightly overrated.

Webber was immediately promising, with his 5th place in a Minardi, but during all these years i started thinking he was a ‘lost shot’ à-la Jean Alesi. Now i’m happy he can show what driver he really is.

Ads21
    Participant

agree with jihelle about J Villeneuve, I think he’s missunderestimated because he’s a always been a bit too outspoken.

sbl on tour
    Participant

ads, yep he was outspoken which was fair enough, but I also think he lost the plot somewhere along the line, (along with his hair!!)

sbl on tour
    Participant

stefano modena, he was like thackwell , blue eyed boy but did nought too

sbl on tour
    Participant

silly me how could I forget, my illustrious compatriot, irvine, hero to pratt and a half, enough said!

Icthyes
    Participant

Felipe Massa. Went from Sauber crash-master (though I always believed he had talent) to being world champion for 20 seconds.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Greetings,

It has to be the Flyin Finn – Mika Pauli Hakkinen how many years did it take him to even record his first win? On & on, he kept goin each time comin soo very close, but no cigar.

Ron Dennis kept faith in him, and he delivered 2 WDC`s 1998 & 1999 along with helping bring the constructors championship back to Woking – BIG up the flyin Finn

Your compatriot was good (Kimi) but had nothing on U.

Tom L.
    Participant

After Keith’s recent interview with him this is probably the wrong time to bring him up but I always felt Anthony Davidson was overrated by the British commentators/media. He did a respectable, and sometimes more than respectable, job, but nothing to show he was anyone special. After all, he got beaten by Takuma Sato, yet I hear a lot more calls for Ant to get back into F1 than Takuma…

Icthyes
    Participant

I think Ant deserves a drive but I wouldn’t ever see him being more than a journeyman, maybe a good #2 to Hamilton once Button retires. Ironically I find his commentary more over-rated than his driving skill!

Good catch on Mika pepsiperfect, to add to that one Nigel Mansell, he took a long time to win a race too.

Another one is Barrichello. He got a lot of criticism, particularly when he was at Ferrari, but I always rated him. Then last year he challenged for the title by having a better second half of the season than the world champion, in what was rarely the best car on the day (after Turkey).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.