Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

Formula E

Public Group active 1 week ago

The FIA’s new electric Formula E championship launches in 2014.

Formula E launch car at Frankfurt Auto Show

Tagged: 

This topic contains 68 replies, has 42 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of himmatsj himmatsj 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of crr917
    crr917
    Participant

There are ambitious plans to enhance the digital aspect of the series. A video game is in development that will allow fans watching TV to race in real time with the competitors.

Also, the racing cars will have a power-boost function to increase passing speed, and fans will be able to vote when it is used during the race.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24053853

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

The video game sounds really ambitious, as most racing games suffer from lag even when trying to keep up with people in the same country. Let alone actual racecars in another country..

As for the vote-to-push-to-pass, I get where they get the idea from, but don’t really agree with it. Websites such as Tumblr promote fandoms, so drivers could find themselves appealing to certain demographics in order to secure more boosts during the race. I’d like to hear a little more about that before I think of that as a good idea.

Profile photo of crr917
    crr917
    Participant

FIA brings democracy to racing even before Ward is elected :)

Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant

There are ambitious plans to enhance the digital aspect of the series. A video game is in development that will allow fans watching TV to race in real time with the competitors.

Sounds like fun, but not very realistic. I think about five years ago there were plans for basically the same thing but with airplanes… haven’t heard anything about it since.

Also, the racing cars will have a power-boost function to increase passing speed, and fans will be able to vote when it is used during the race.

This vote-to-pass thing… that’s just the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Let’s speculate on the drivers – development driver is Lucas Di Grassi. I could see people like Ma Qing-Hua driving in this if they still have backing, it’s cheaper than F1 and still has a global reach. WEC has many non-F1 drivers at the moment, but the extra cars are struggling to race at venues other than Le Mans.

Venues: London, Rome, Rio, LA, Miami, Buenos Aires, Beijing, KL, Bangkok.

Teams interested: Andretti, ART, China, Drayson, McLaren? Renault? Williams? Prodrive? Spark cars in year 1.

Drivers: I know there is one effort to crowd-fund a seat from Japan… So far Di Grassi has to be championship favourite.

Profile photo of R.J. O'Connell
    R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

The proposed “recharge line” reminds me of F-Zero or Wipeout, and that’s not a bad thing at all.

As far as drivers go, I’m hoping it can be a good mix of young rising stars and veteran ex-F1/Indycar talent, hopefully a couple of “big” names to bolster the series’ profile in its first year.

I’m intrigued.

Profile photo of Mr Johann
    Mr Johann
    Participant

For interest’s sake here is a Formula Lightning pitstop, showing ‘fast’ battery changes rather than battery charging or car switching. I believe this was an American University challenge series back in the 90s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRiGcU45HE0

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Here’s an audio clip of what a Formula E car sounds like. Very cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX5Roi4lzVs

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Wipeout should be possible – maglev?

I didn’t know that battery swaps were not new! They should definitely have it in Formula E.

Profile photo of Roald
    Roald
    Participant

The one thing I don’t understand… FIA wants lower noses in Formule 1 because of the dangers of a a high nose during a crash, yet they designed these Formula E cars with high noses. Why?

Profile photo of BenH
    BenH
    Participant

I am hugely hyped for this championship. Really hope I win the lottery soon though. £2.5M would be peanuts for me to be able to set up a team for this!

Profile photo of Lucas Wilson
    Lucas Wilson
    Participant

I love this series, I bet my life that it will overtake f1, people can even build their own cars from 2015!

Profile photo of Zantkiller
    Zantkiller
    Participant

@roald
    If you look at the side shot you will notice that the nose is not high enough to enter the cockpit in a t-bone crash.
    This was the main thing the FIA were worried about when they lowered the noses in F1.

Profile photo of Ludwig
    Ludwig
    Participant

I really like how this car looks, it’s a bit like a crossover of an LMP2 and a GP3 (but maybe that’s just me). I hate the idea of swapping cars during the race though, as it emphasizes the lack of range of an electric vehicle even more than changing the batteries would. I still look forward to this series, I hope the copious amounts of torque and some talented drivers will deliver some great racing!

Profile photo of MazdaChris
    MazdaChris
    Participant

I love everything about this other than the ‘vote to pass’ idea which seems utterly stupid. If you want to have an overtaking system with a boost function, how about a ‘boost meter’ which fills up every time the chase car is within a certain distance of the back of another car. It could have, say, three stages. 3 seconds boost, 10 seconds boost, and 30 seconds boost, so there’s a driver decision to be made – do you take the short boost and go for an easy pass, or keep trailing and build your boost up and then put in a super lap? You could have a visible boost meter illuminated on the sides of the car.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.