Formula E

The Punta ePrix and racing in a small country.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Carlitox
    Participant

Hi everyone! First time creating a topic here, despite being around for many years, but I really couldn’t keep it to myself.

I’m from Uruguay and just yesterday attended the FE Punta ePrix, my first time in a major international race. Events such as this one are extremely rare here, but welcomed despite us being a country centered around football, to the point that almost every other sport is neglected. Local motorsport is very limited and expensive for drivers and teams, but still exists due to their sheer enthusiasm. So having FE here, having these huge personalities and maybe some who will be huge someday hopefully (I was the only one that seemed to cheer for Oliver Rowland).

The thing is, FE organisers have been complaining during the previous days that the only support they are getting are from the province’s government, and while the Uruguayan government encourages the race and emphasises its importance, they contribute little for the race apart from providing the electricity needed, in exchange for lots of advertisement for the energy company, which is monopolically run by them. Furthermore, news report today that prior to the start, just as the drivers were getting ready, team principals were “ambushed” by representatives of the DGI (the local tax agency). Report here (in spanish).

Efforts will be made by Punta del Este’s mayor and the province’s governor in order to keep the race for the 2016-2017 season, but it seems unlikely. FE invests in the country, as opposed to F1, puts up a fantastic show (I enjoyed myself like I never did before, despite not fulfilling my goal of a selfie with Alain Prost), donates chargers for electric/hybrid cars (which by the way, are extremely taxed. When a bus company tried to import electric buses, they had to back out due to their value being almost doubled by taxes), puts a small and not particularly rich country in the world TV feed, and not only do they get absolutely no support, they are also pressured into paying more. Things like these anger me deeply.

Punta del Este has to formally present its candidacy for a round in late January, so until then it remains to be seen whether we’ll have a round again or not. I hope I’m wrong.

PorscheF1
    Participant

Efforts will be made by Punta del Este’s mayor and the province’s governor in order to keep the race for the 2016-2017 season

That would be a shame as I believe this is one of my more favorite track on the pretty sad calendar anyway.

So with you I hope the race stays in your country.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Agree, I think this race has been a success, both for Uruguay and Formula E. I’m glad you got to see the event live – if it doesn’t return, then I can see Formula E trying to get a race in Brazil, maybe Rio after the Olympics, with another race in America happening again in the meantime.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.