Formula 3.5 V8

2013 Formula Renault 3.5 Series Season: Round 6 (Spielberg, Austria)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    wsrgo
    Participant

Round 6 of the World Series by Renault season is going to be held this weekend at the Red Bull Ring.

First collective test was topped by Sergey Sirotkin, leading an ISR 1-2.

andae23
    Participant

So it’s a Danish front row for race 1: Sorensen will start from pole, with Magnussen second. Melker starts third, from Will Stevens in fourth and Pic in fifth. Vandoorne and Da Costa qualified sixth and eighth respectively. Sirotkin qualified seventh but his fastest time has been deleted, so he will probably drop back a bit.

andae23
    Participant

According to Paddockscout, Sirotkin’s penalty means he will start eleventh.

wsrgo
    Participant

@andae23 1:15.9 is an awesome lap, isn’t it? Just 7 seconds off the F1 lap record..

andae23
    Participant

@wsrgo Yeah, sure is. Really looking forward to the race: haven’t watched a race at Spielberg in ages, great circuit.

Saints
    Participant

Danes locking out the front row thats what I’m talking about!!! Would be amazing if they can finish the race 1st and 2nd as well

Nick
    Participant

I wonder if their participation in the YDT will influence Magnussen and Da Costa. Must be a hectic week for them.

Also seems like Melker is picking up the pace. I’ve been following him for a couple of years now, but I still can’t judge his true form, as he isn’t very consistent.

wsrgo
    Participant

@npf1 Well, Melker’s seemed to have turned a switch after 2010. He had a stellar GP3/F3 double campaign in 2011. Last year, he did okay in a struggling Ocean team, generally ahead of teammates Lancaster, Hartley and Guerin. This year, he’s done pretty well given that his teammate is the ‘unputdownable’ Mikhail Aleshin, the 2010 WSR champ, whose experience in the series is rivalled only by compatriot Daniil Move.
    Among other Dutch guys, de Vries once again has had a disappointing show in Eurocup FR2.0. Could it be his team, Koiranen at fault? He was much better last year..

Nick
    Participant

@wsrgo He really caught my attention in 2011 because of the double campaign, but then I found it easier to understand how his performance relative to his team mates and in the field seems to shuffle a lot. Last year in GP2, he seemed to be either on it, and around p5/7, or way back. This year kind of seems to be that way again, as he end up on the podium sometimes, but other times he has an utterly unimpressive weekend. But then, I also am not sure how well Tech 1 is doing, since Aleshin isn’t doing very well either.

As for de Vries, I have to admit I don’t follow FR 2.0 as much as 3.5, but his team doesn’t seem very impressive either. Perhaps the step up from karts was too much? I honestly think that Nyck de Vries is the reason Jos is keeping Max Verstappen in karts another year and looking at a series like Formula 4 or national Formula Renault series.

wsrgo
    Participant

Marco Sorensen records his first win of the season. The Lotus junior beat Nigel Melker to the flag, with McLaren junior Kevin Magnussen rounding off the podium. Behind them were Will Stevens, Arthur Pic, Will Buller, Antonio Felix da Costa, Marlon Stockinger, Andre Negrao and Jazeman Jaafar completing the top 10.

As for Sergey Sirotkin? He was running in a strong 7th, chasing Felix da Costa before being spun around by Norman Nato. Stoffel Vandoorne had a bad race and was slipping down the order before retiring with a water leak.

The race was marred by two SC periods..

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

As for Sergey Sirotkin? He was running in a strong 7th, chasing Felix da Costa before being spun around by Norman Nato.

Story of his season, really – promising performances let down by mechanical woes and bone-headed mvoes by other drivers.

wsrgo
    Participant

@npf1

looking at a series like Formula 4 or national Formula Renault series.

As far as I’m aware there are no national Formula Renaults, they’ve all been amalgamated into either NEC or Alps. I guess we can call them regional Formula Renaults more accurately.
    But de Vries did very well last year, fifth in 2.0. That’s a superb result for a beginner. But this year, he’s nowhere.

andae23
    Participant

Yesterday’s top three will start today’s race in the same order: Sorensen took pole, from Melker and Magnussen. Vandoorne defended his championship hopes by qualifying fourth, while Da Costa again had a disappointing result: eighth place.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

And Sirotkin? Or did Nato decide to bomb another Russian target?

andae23
    Participant

Sirotkin qualified tenth:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.