Formula 3.5 V8

2013 FR3.5 Round 9: Circuit de Catalunya

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    andae23
    Participant

The final two races of the 2013 FR3.5 season are held today and tomorrow: Magnussen is favourite for the title, but Vandoorne still has a chance. Qualifying is underway, live timing here LINK.

andae23
    Participant

Magnussen has take pole position for race 1. Stevens and Buller will start second and third, while Vandoorne qualified fourth. Melker qualified seventh, and Da Costa only managed tenth.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77889303@N07/10358657026/

Some permutations: if Magnussen wants to win the championship, he has to finish at least sixth. If Vandoorne finishes second, Magnussen has to finish tenth. If Vandoorne doesn’t finish in the top two, Magnussen will be champion.

Race 1 starts at 14:00 local time (13:00 British time).

wsrgo
    Participant

RACE ONE RESULTS
    1. Kevin Magnussen (DAMS)
    2. Will Stevens (Strakka)
    3. Stoffel Vandoorne (Fortec)
    4. Antonio Felix da Costa (Arden Caterham)
    5. Will Buller (Zeta Corse)
    6. Zoel Amberg (Pons)
    7. Matias Laine (Strakka)
    8. Daniil Move (Comtec)
    9. Pietro Fantin (Arden Caterham)
    10. Oli Webb (Fortec)

andae23
    Participant

And that also wraps up the championship: thoroughly deserved.

wsrgo
    Participant

Also, Stevens jumps up to fourth, one point ahead of Melker, two ahead of Muller.

Nick
    Participant

Short race for Melker, shame we didn’t get to see some on-board from his car in the replays of the start. A lot of retirements as well, I wonder if we’ll see the same tomorrow.

Well deserved championship for Magnussen, although I was very amused by his mistake, which came just as the Eurosport commentator was talking about how easy Magnussen made it look..

I wonder how many times Sergey Sirtokin is going to find himself in front of Felix da Costa next year, too. ;) He held his own pretty well, until his wing broke.

wsrgo
    Participant

@npf1 Sirotkin has had terrible luck this season, possibly worse than AFdC…

andae23
    Participant
    wsrgo
    Participant

@andae23 Drivers like AFdC, Sirotkin and Sorensen were put on the back foot as their bankers weren’t good. Zanella got a bit lucky, he received a huge tow from Amberg on the pit straight, and the younger Swiss man let his compatriot through easily at T1.

andae23
    Participant

hmm, I guess that makes sense.

Tomsk
    Participant

At least “their bankers weren’t good” still means laps in Renault 3.5 – in GP2 it refers to the people paying for their drive…

Race 2 is live, amazingly, on British Eurosport where the race starts at 12.15. Looking forward to seeing if Will Stevens can get stuck into the leaders again (impressed with him in race 1) but I wouldn’t mind if it’s just a well-deserved glory run for Magnussen.

Nick
    Participant

Worth to note that Max Verstappen (son of Jos) has been invited by Renault Sport to test a FR 2.0 car with KTR, tomorrow on the Hungaroring.

I hope Dutch Eurosport (2) doesn’t pull another trick like last week; putting the race live in their schedule, but broadcasting Bundesliga..

wsrgo
    Participant

@npf1 I expect Verstappen to do what de Vries did in 2012..a full-fledged Formula Renault 2.0 campaign. KTR isn’t the best of teams though, with their best driver Ignazio d’Agosto only 7th in the championship. Let’s hope he can get a good seat like ART Junior, Fortec or Tech1.

Nick
    Participant

@wsrgo I expect the same. Jos has been very careful about wether or not Max should commit to open wheel racing, but with these recent tests I think Max made up his mind. I hope he does better than de Vries did in 2012, though, and at a good team.

Race about to start, glad the conditions cleared up.

wsrgo
    Participant

@npf1 de Vries was pretty decent in 2012. Finished fifth in FR2.0 in his rookie season in cars. None of the others in the top 10 were rookies. His performance this year was very poor till the summer break, but it seems he’s turned a corner after that, with two wins and two more podium finishes in five races. I wonder what he’ll do next year. He could stick around for a third season in FR2.0, or maybe move to F3.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.