Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Formula Renault 3.5

Public Group active 1 week, 1 day ago

Group for discussing prominent F1 feeder series Formula Renault 3.5 (aka World Series by Renault).

2013 World Series by Renault, Hungaroring

This topic contains 30 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Nick Nick 10 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    wsrgo
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys You’ve fallen for it..I was being sarcastic..if only you’d seen the previous comments..

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I don’t think people really appreciate some of the more obscure junior formulae, like Formula Abarth and AutoGP. They instead concentrate on Sirotkin’s Formula Renault results, and, I suspect, limit themselves to his results on paper. Sirotkin has had some disappointing results this year, but a lot of that has been down to bad luck. He’s been strong in the races, only for a mechanical gremlin to strike, or to get caught up in someone else’s incident, like when he got dive-bombed by Nato.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

As for those Dutch fans, Frijns was never guaranteed a seat in the first place. He has no sponsorship, and was reserve driver in a team in serious need of sponsor money. What were they expecting? That Sauber would put their future in jeopardy for the sake of an unproven rookie whose results since winning the FR3.5 Series title have been disappointing at best?

wsrgo
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Very true. Some people don’t follow junior formulae much except GP2, FR3.5 and GP3, but they consider themselves an authority on rating young talents.
    I chanced on this a few days ago.. terrible piece of journalism. I couldn’t even bring myself to read the whole thing, it was so terrible. I don’t even know where to begin to justify this article’s inaccuracy w.r.t. facts and interpretations.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

To be fair, the low opinions of those categories are not completely unjustified. If you want to make it to Formula 1, then you need to go through the GP or FR series and make a good impression. But while AutoGP, for example, is mostly for washed up second-rate Formula 1 drivers, it’s also a fantastic series for young drivers. They can quickly develop their skills in high-powered open-wheel racing cars while racing against established drivers. Narain Karthikeyan may not have set the Formula 1 world on fire, but racing against someone with that kind of experience is going to teach a young driver a lot – certainly more than if they were just racing against other junior drivers that they had probably encountered elsewhere earlier in their careers.

wsrgo
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys But the lower series are important, especially when it helps drivers to get accustomed to European circuits that will be in the Formula One calendar in the future. I’m speaking of the two European championships below the GP2/FR3.5 level…FIA F3 Eureopean Championship and the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0. The former has been transformed by Gerhard Berger into what was widely considered to be a DTM feeder series in the past. The latter has produced some very good drivers indeed. But how many of us know about these series?? Most people don’t know anyone beyond Raffaele Marciello in European F3. And how many people have heard of the likes of Pierre Gasly and Esteban Ocon, frontrunners in the Eurocup? These 2 championships have produced many solid drivers in the past, but most people couldn’t care less about these championships.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m not denying their importance. I’m just saying that everything is relevant. I still think Formula 3 needs work; the European Series should be Formula 2, with the national championships branded as Formula 3.

One day, we’ll see a return to the days when drivers can get to Formula 1 via Formula 3 – but for now, if a driver wants to make it to Formula 1, he needs to make an impression in GP or FR.

wsrgo
    Participant

QUALIFYING RESULTS FOR RACE 2:
    1. Kevin Magnussen (DAMS)
    2. Antonio Felix da Costa (Arden Caterham)
    3. Stoffel Vandoorne (Fortec)
    4. Marco Sorensen (Lotus/Charouz)
    5. Arthur Pic (DAMS)
    6. Andre Negrao (Draco)
    7. William Buller (Zeta Corse)
    8. Nico Muller (Draco)
    9. Carlos Huertas (Carlin)
    10. Nigel Melker (Tech1)

Tomsk
    Participant

The cream’s very much rising to the top in race 2, with Müller, Felix da Costa, Vandoorne and Magnussen all in with a shout. I won’t say which order, as it keeps changing anyway, and British Eurosport are showing it delayed in a few hours (fair enough today, with live tennis & superbikes on too).

Nick
    Participant

Spoiler alert!

Da Costa wins from Magnussen and Vandoorne. Melker 4th, Sirotkin down in 12th. Da Costa back in 3rd for the championship.

Pretty good race, fair racing from everyone. Sirotkin went wheel to wheel with someone on cold tyres and kept their wings. Aleshin had a Maldonado moment near the end, though.

wsrgo
    Participant

RACE 2 RESULTS:
    1. Antonio Felix da Costa (Arden Caterham)
    2. Kevin Magnussen (DAMS)
    3. Stoffel Vandoorne (Fortec)
    4. Nigel Melker (Tech1)
    5. Nico Muller (Draco)
    6. Andre Negrao (Draco)
    7. Marlon Stockinger (Lotus)
    8. Carlos Huertas (Carlin)
    9. Marco Sorensen (Lotus)
    10. Oliver Webb (Fortec)

CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS:
    1. Magnussen 199
    2. Vandoorne 163
    3. FdC 120
    4. Melker 120
    5. Muller 112
    6. Stevens 105
    7. Sorensen 85
    8. Sirotkin 61
    9. Pic 60
    10. Negrao 34

Michael Christensen
    Participant

Nice to see Da Costa back in the game, and Magnussen in control.

Ludwig
    Participant

Magnussen stayed in the lead at the start, while Vandoorne overtook FdC. Vandoorne came in for fresh rear tires as the first of the leaders. Magnussen made his pit stop 1 lap later, and came back on the track just in front of Vandoorne. Meanwhile, FdC managed a few very quick laps, so when he came out of the pit lane, he was right in front of Magnussen and Vandoorne. FdC extended his lead gradually to 7 seconds, while the difference between Magnussen and Vandoorne stayed constant at about 1 second, and Vandoorne never could get under Magnussen’s rear wing. Quite an entertaining, but rather uneventful race, except for a shunt by Stevens in the first lap (went to far on the kerbs and lost the car) which brought out the safety car for a few laps.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I think the point is that both Raikkonen and Verstappen were top of the world in international karting, which was used a lot more back then (cost reasons? apparently it’s very expensive now, seems they get out of it asap to cheap single seaters. Jon Lancaster’s tweet of a motor-home at a kart event backs this up!). So being top in karts for a few years, then a quick transition through single seaters back up to F1 level, which karts are closer to than slow single seaters, was the usual thing then (Alonso, Button etc.). So, overall they would have more fast speed experience than those young drivers today – Sirotkin, Chilton, Pic etc. who haven’t been right at the front of every championship they’ve done in the slower lower levels, compared to those guys in international karts and then e.g. Kimi dominating Formula Renault 2.0.

But there’s no doubt Sirotkin has talent (top 10 in FR3.5 standings so young, after doing well in the lower levels, keeping up on pace). He might be coming up a year early for ideal development, and skipping GP2, but if you can develop securely in F1, why not do so. His pace may flow in a few years, like Chilton, and he probably has some potential driver development left to go, being so young. But at the moment he seems more a Bianchi than a Chilton (fast adapter), but hopefully is not going to do an Alguersuari by coming in too young.

wsrgo
    Participant

@fastiesty

Sirotkin, Chilton, Pic

Chilton’s got a much poorer junior formula career, when compared to the other two..

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.