Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Formula Renault 3.5

Public Group active 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Group for discussing prominent F1 feeder series Formula Renault 3.5 (aka World Series by Renault).

2014 World Series by Renault season

This topic contains 40 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Iestyn Davies Iestyn Davies 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Strong line up, will be a great battle between team mates at that team next season. If Rowland beats Sirotkin, that might undermine his attempts for the Sauber F1 seat in 2015 (only to viewers).

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Sirotkin will still be three years younger than Rowland with a year of experience in the series. Driving for Fortec, I’m not seeing any reason why Sirotkin shouldn’t be a winning driver this year in FR3.5, if not a title contender – certainly not a lock for a title though.

wsrgo
    Participant

Caterham junior Will Stevens will stick around for a third season in Formula Renault 3.5 as the 22-year-old Briton re-signs with Strakka Racing, having finished 4th with them in this very series in 2013. Here’s a link

Enigma
    Participant

Wow. Could be a title favourite!
    Looks like 3.5 is on for another high quality season.

andae23
    Participant

Agreed. Just compare what we now have in WSR to the current GP2 grid – that’s quite a contrast.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Interesting.. Definitely cheaper for him to stay in FR3.5 and take a tilt at the title. Rossi & Cash in GP2 it is..

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Jazeman Jaafar switches to ISR for his second season. Press release:

Jazeman Jaafar will return to the Formula Renault 3.5 Series in 2014 and moves to ISR Racing for his second year in the championship.

Jazeman, a PETRONAS Talent Programme driver, recently finished his debut season in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series, with a third place podium high in Monaco and four top ten finishes. He added a sixth place finish at the Macau F3 Grand Prix to these results.

In 2013 Jazeman also had his first drive of a Formula One car, with three opportunities to sample the MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS 2011 W02 Formula One car. His first outing was in Malaysia, driving the car on the streets of Kuala Lumpur as part of a PETRONAS motorsport demo event. This was followed by a limited running filming day at Silverstone in the summer and in November, a full day’s running at Silverstone for a driver evaluation test, benefiting from his support from PETRONAS and the company’s partnership with the MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS Formula One Team.

Jazeman tested with ISR late last year, as well as a number of other FR3.5 teams, opting for the Czech-based race-winning team after a highly successful test session. Jazeman says of his decision, “I really enjoyed my test with ISR last year. I quickly gelled with the team, felt comfortable in the car and had a very productive day. Since then, we’ve had a number of meetings and developed a clear strategy for the year ahead, so I’m very excited for the 2014 season.”

The young Malaysian adds,“It’s great to have my plans finalised early in the year so that I can focus on my second season of Formula Renault 3.5 and be as well prepared as I can be ahead of the first race. We have a series of pre-season tests ahead so this will give me time to build a strong relationship with the team personnel and start to develop the car ready for the opening round in Monza in April.”

ISR has competed in the Formula Renault 3.5 Series for the last four years and has been a top three team in three of the four seasons. Team Owner, Igor Slaquarda, is delighted with Jazeman’s decision to join the team for 2014, and says, “We’re very pleased to welcome Jazeman to ISR for this season and look forward to a very successful championship together. Jazeman quickly made a very good impression with everyone at the team at last year’s test, with his positive attitude, great work ethic and a steely determination, and we saw just how quick he can be as well”.

Jazeman will be testing with the team in the first official Formula Renault 3.5 Series test session from February 26th – 27th at Motorland Aragon in Spain.

wsrgo
    Participant

Will Buller, who finished 11th after a part-campaign with Zeta Corse, and was 3rd in British F3, will race in 2014 alongside Pierre Gasly at Arden. Link here.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Strong line up there at Arden. They could also be in the running for the team standings.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Which is in sharp contrast to their GP2 line-up of Binder and Negrao.

wsrgo
    Participant

Matias Laine has been retained for a second year at Strakka. The Finnish racer, who finished 5th in the GP2 series in 2012, faced a tough time last year as Will Stevens’s teammate, struggling to make much of an impression. Here’s a link…

wsrgo
    Participant

A busy week ahead for World Series by Renault as the collective 2.0 tests are scheduled for Sunday and Monday, while the 3.5 tests are scheduled for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
    WSR unveiled their entry list yesterday for the 2.0 tests. Of note, McLaren junior Nyck de Vries, who finished fifth in the last two seasons, will test with his 2013 team Koiranen, and is joined by fellow 3rd-year driver Italian Ignazio d’Agosto, who finished 8th last year for KTR.

Fortec are testing Caterham junior Matt Parry, who won the Formula Renault 2.0 NEC last year, and Estonian Martin Rump, who was runner up in the two Formula Renault 1.6 championships last year and enjoyed a strong run to fourth in this year’s Toyota Racing Series season.

Matheo Tuscher, the highly-rated Swiss youngster, returns from the wilderness to test for JCS.

Former Red Bull junior Callan O’Keeffe will test for ART Junior, joined by Olivier Panis’s son Aurelien.

Tech1 are testing hot Russian prospect Egor Orudzhev and last year’s French F4 champion Anthoine Hubert among others.

Oh, and Alex Albon is testing for KTR. I’m not sure if he’s still a member of the Lotus Junior Team after a less than satisfactory season last year.

Missing in action is Max Verstappen. It now seems almost certain that he will be driving in F3 in 2014.

wsrgo
    Participant

Russian driver Matevos Isaakyan topped the morning session for AV Formula, and Swiss Kevin Joerg topped the afternoon session for Josef Kaufmann, on the first day of the FR2.0 pre-season tests at Motorland.

In other news, Marco Sorensen, Lotus’s reserve and development driver, has announced he is staying in the Formule Renault 3.5 series, switching to Tech1.

wsrgo
    Participant

Oliver Rowland annihilates Raffaele Marciello’s lap record from Motorland last year as he tops the timesheets on the first day of Formula Renault 3.5 pre-season tests. He finished ahead of Pierre Gasly and Sergey Sirotkin.

Sirotkin had earlier topped the morning session.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

The Eurocup frontrunners from last year are looking very strong already in 2014..

Some interesting developments in FR2.0. Not many people now go straight to F3, so we’ll have to see how that works out for Max Verstappen. Would have been good to see him race Nyck de Vries!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.