Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Formula Renault 3.5

Public Group active 1 week, 3 days ago

Group for discussing prominent F1 feeder series Formula Renault 3.5 (aka World Series by Renault).

Formula Renault 3.5 – Round 9 (Circuit de Catalunya)

This topic contains 61 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of andae23 andae23 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    mnmracer
    Participant

Tomorrow, the final race for the World Series by Renault championship will decide the champion. Will it be rookie Dutchman Robin Frijns, or Force India test driver Frenchman Jules Bianchi, or will the British ex-GP2 driver Sam Bird take it still?

Here are the standings:
    1. Robin Frijns – 189 points
    2. Jules Bianchi – 185 points
    3. Sam Bird – 173 points

Let’s look at the championship scenario’s.

For Sam Bird to become champion…
    …he needs to win, with Frijns finishing no higher than 6th, and Bianchi finishing no higher than 4th.
    …he needs to finish 2nd, with Frijns finishing no higher than 10th, and Bianchi finishing no higher than 8th.

For Robin Frijns to become champion…
    …he needs to win.
    …he needs to finish 2nd, with Jules Bianchi not winning.
    …he needs to finish 3rd, with Jules Bianchi not winning.
    …he needs to finish 4th, with Jules Bianchi not finishing higher than 3rd.
    …he needs to finish 5th, with Jules Bianchi not finishing higher than 4th.
    …he needs to finish 6th, with Jules Bianchi not finishing higher than 5th.
    …he needs to finish 7th, with Jules Bianchi not finishing higher than 6th and Sam Bird not winning.
    …he needs to finish 8th, with Jules Bianchi not finishing higher than 7th and Sam Bird not winning.
    …he needs to finish 9th, with Jules Bianchi not finishing higher than 8th and Sam Bird not winning.
    …he needs to finish 10th, with Jules Bianchi not finishing higher than 8th.
    …he needs to finish outside the top 10, with Jules Bianchi not finishing higher than 9th and Sam Bird not finishing higher than 2nd.

For Jules Bianchi to become champion…
    …he needs to win.
    …he needs to finish 2nd, with Robin Frijns not finishing higher than 3rd.
    …he needs to finish 3rd, with Robin Frijns not finishing higher than 4th.
    …he needs to finish 4th, with Robin Frijns not finishing higher than 6th and Sam Bird not winning.
    …he needs to finish 5th, with Robin Frijns not finishing higher than 7th and Sam Bird not winning.
    …he needs to finish 6th, with Robin Frijns not finishing higher than 8th and Sam Bird not winning.
    …he needs to finish 7th, with Robin Frijns not finishing higher than 9th and Sam Bird not winning.
    …he needs to finish 8th, with Robin Frijns not finishing higher than 10th and Sam Bird not finishing higher than 2nd.

andae23
    Participant

I’ve just seen how Bianchi made his spin: that must be the least intelligent move I have ever seen!

the_sigman
    Participant

@andae23
    The advantage is still Bianchi’s. I am sure that he made this mistake because of pressure. Now that Frijins (a rookie) has the points lead, that will make him think that the chamionship is his to lose.

Enigma
    Participant

Too bad Bianchi spun – otherwise tomorrow’s race would be even more promising, with the two having a direct battle for the championship with Bird waiting for a clash.

Still looks like we’re in for an exciting race, and there’s a chance of rain as well!

andae23
    Participant

Mikhael Aleshin has taken pole poleposition for race two in a wet qualifying session. Here’s the top five:
    1. Aleshin (1.53.112)
    2. Pic (1:53.236)
    3. Da Costa (1:53.519)
    4. Frijns (1:53.634)
    5. Vainio (1:53.711)

The other candidates for the title: Jules Bianchi qualified seventh, and Sam Bird qualified only sixteenth.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Advantage Frijns, then.

ME4ME
    Participant

I haven’t watched the series, but for some reason i hope Frijns to win the championship. When is the second race?

andae23
    Participant

@me4me 13:45, UK time (at least if Eurosport decides not to show a suspended tennis match again)

andae23
    Participant

Da Costa in the lead… now there’s a surprise ;)

Bullfrog
    Participant

They’re nose to tail now – this is getting better and better…

Bullfrog
    Participant

Uh-oh, now he’s done it. Probably the least stylish way of becoming champion since Senna in 1990…

Pamphlet
    Participant

This is the first WSR race that I tuned in for.

I’m kind of finding it hard to stay entertained, since I don’t know anything about the drivers and whatnot. Am I the only one who feels that way?

Meander
    Participant

So sad it had to happen this way. Hope Frijns will still be champion, but it will always be tainted. Not that I think there was any evil in there. It was nog like Senna 1990 in that way then.

the_sigman
    Participant

Frijns should be at least lose some points because of this, because I think he did it in purpose. We all remember what happened to M.Schumacher in 1997, even if he was going to lose the championship as a result of the accident he caused.

Anyway, da Costa must be an F1 driver. The guy is incredible!

Meander
    Participant

You really think it was on purpose? I don’t believe that. What I saw was panic, still rattled from being overtaken and defending Magnussen.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.