Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Formula Renault 3.5

Public Group active 2 days, 18 hours ago

Group for discussing prominent F1 feeder series Formula Renault 3.5 (aka World Series by Renault).

Formula Renault 3.5 – Round 9 (Circuit de Catalunya)

This topic contains 61 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of andae23 andae23 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kingshark
    Kingshark
    Participant

The irony of Prost giving out one of the trophies!!

And Damon Hill!

LOL.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Are we sure there is no mistranslation of the word ‘court’, perhaps with him meaning the stewards instead (as they form there own court of sorts)?

Profile photo of mnmracer
    mnmracer
    Participant

Being Dutch, nope, that’s not it.
    I heard the radio interview.

Profile photo of matt90
    matt90
    Participant

Then that is truly bizarre.

Profile photo of BasCB
    BasCB
    Participant

I think what Keith wrote, that he made that dash more in a reflex to prevent Magnussen to pass him than attacking Bianchi there. As for taking Frijns to court, if he does that I agree with what @prisoner-monkeys writes, it will hurt him more than do any good.
    After all it should end up with the courts pointing him back to the Stewards / FIA anyway, as they are the governing body for a the sport, and I can hardly imagine anything else this ruling was about.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

The irony of Prost giving out one of the trophies!!

Yeah I spotted that!

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@matt90

Then that is truly bizarre.

Also, the Tweet that first reported a court case also mentions that Frijns had been given a 25-second penalty. If the demand for legal action came before the penalty was give – and if it was intended to mean stewards’ action – then I imagine they would be Tweeted separately.

@bascb

After all it should end up with the courts pointing him back to the Stewards / FIA anyway, as they are the governing body for a the sport, and I can hardly imagine anything else this ruling was about.

I don’t even know how Bianchi could get the case into the courtroom. He wouldn’t be able to press charges, because there has been no crime; he’d have to prove that Frijns deliberately ran him off the road, and he’d have a devil of a time doing that because the stewards already judged him to have caused an avoidable accident, but didn’t issue any penalty for doing it deliberately.

So a civil case would be his only option, but even then, he’s got nothing. The stewards’ verdict would weigh heavily in Frijns’ favour, since they have access to footage and telemetry read-outs that we don’t. And what’s more, he would have to prove that he would have won the title were it not for that accident – and with eleven minutes’ worth of racing left at the time of the collision, he would not be able to prove; a) that Frijns would have been passed and beaten by Magnussen, which would have given Bianchi the title; b) that Magnussen would have passed Frijns, but not Bianchi, which would have given Frijns the title; and c) that Frijns would not have re-passed him before the end of the race, which would have given Frijns the title. Nor would he be able to prove that he would have finished the race at all – for all he knew, his team were keeping an eye on a mechanical issue that would have sidelined him anyway.

What’s more, if Bianchi really wanted to launch legal action, then he would have to launch it against his own team, for getting him disqualified at Aragon, and against whoever caused him to finish 17th at Spa and 12th at the Nurburgring, and whoever caused him to spin in the first Catalunya race (assuming he had help). He can’t selectively launch action against one party, but not the other, because it makes him look like a hypocrite – if the team had given him the right parts in Aragon, then it would not have mattered if Frijns pushed him off the road in Barcelona, because Bianchi would have won the title already.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

For anyone who thinks Frijns deliberately ran Bianchi off the road, I draw your attention to the following video. This is what intentionally running another car off the circuit looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Bpoa0x3NE

Profile photo of Enigma
    Enigma
    Participant

Agreed. It was a very silly thing to do and clearly Frijns’ fault, but it was not intentional.

Profile photo of Marco
    Marco
    Participant

Guys,in my opinion Frijns took deliberatley Bianchi off.
    He didn’t had the control anymore,two corners after the wonderful move at turn 1 by Bianchi he tries an impossible move,in a spot where you can’t overtake,taking him outside.
    That’s a bad unfair way to win a championship and he didn’t need this.he would probably won anyway but lost brightness after being overtaken.
    We all know that in season finale this kind of things sadly happen.
    He made a fantastic season and seems a promising driver (like Bianchi,a driver that can produced amazing beautiful overtakes and some occasional mistake).
    As for DaCosta he always impress me a lot.I think he’s one of the best if not the best young driver in lower categories.He can overtake with balls,he’s consistent,he’s brave and quick.In his first year in gp3 and in f3 euroseries with motopark he was quick but didn’t had the best equipment and did some occasional mistake.He’s matured now and in my book he’s just ready for a rookie year in f1.

Profile photo of the_sigman
    the_sigman
    Participant

Sorry, probably what I said earlier was a bit strict. I hadn’t seen the incident more than 2 times so my opinion wasn’t the most correct. Sorry.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Some harsh words from Tech 1 on Frijns in their press release which appeared yesterday:

“Sport did not come out on top this weekend,” commented Simon Abadie, Tech 1 Racing’s team manager. “By setting pole on Saturday Jules showed that he was the quickest. Unfortunately, he messed up his start and after that his job was to pull back positions. We can’t blame him for trying his best even if it dropped him from fifth to seventh.”

“Concerning the way in which the outcome of the battle for the title was decided, Robin Frijns did not exactly cover himself in glory from a sporting point of view. By looking at the data acquisition we realized that he braked twenty meters later than on the previous lap, and that he was trying to go through the corner in fifth gear when all the others were taking it in third or fourth. So there is little doubt as to what his intentions were!”

“For this type of manoeuvre Michael Schumacher had all his points cancelled in Formula 1 in 1997. I think that the World Series by Renault authorities should be much more severe in the future about behavior of this type by young drivers. In Formula Renault 2.0 Alps the title was also decided by a collision, and I’m not even talking about the mind-boggling action that we all saw in the first race of the Eurocup Mégane Trophy when a tail-ender deliberately cut a chicane to go and harpoon the leader!”

It wasn’t until reading that I realised @prisoner-monkeys was referring to a crash later on in his video around the one-minute mark, not the first corner pile-up. Shocking driving!

Profile photo of Bullfrog
    Bullfrog
    Participant

Some really sour grapes in that press release! That just convinces me more that the right driver, and team, took the title.

With Frijns suddenly under attack from Magnussen there was every doubt over his intentions, and I thought the penalty was fair – the equivalent of a stop & go for “an avoidable collision”, applied after the race to allow some proper investigation to take place, and not influenced by the championship situation, which is as it should be. And it was nothing like Schumacher turning into the side of Villeneuve! Anyway, it was Bianchi’s own stupid fault that he went into the final race behind on points…

Profile photo of Enigma
    Enigma
    Participant

Anyway, it was Bianchi’s own stupid fault that he went into the final race behind on points…

That’s a very good point. Were it not for the silly spin on Saturday, the two would have gone into the finale level on points – and after the collision and Frijns’ penalty, Bianchi would have won the title on 2nd places countback!

Profile photo of AdrianMorse
    AdrianMorse
    Participant

I don’t agree with the Tech 1 press statement that Frijns’s move was in the same category as Schumacher 1997, though as a fan of Frijns the collision did give me an uneasy feeling.

I haven’t seen Robin’s every race, but he always struck me as a slightly cautious driver, and I don’t recall him being involved in any other incidents. So his move on Bianchi was a little out of character at the least; it was a high-risk move, and could he have knowingly taken that risk thinking “well, if it does go wrong there’s still a chance I’ll be champion”? Possibly. Unfortunately, from the camera angle we can’t really see what’s going on. We’d need the onboard from Frijns to get a clearer picture. The stewards did have access to that footage and more, and they ruled it a normal avoidable collision, though they took three hours to reach their decision, so in that sense it wasn’t a straightforward racing incident, either.

I hope Frijns can have a successful young drivers test and move on from this.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.