Formula Three

2013 British F3 calendar cut to four rounds

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Depressing news from British F3 today – the calendar has been drastically cut back to just four triple-header rounds, due to a shortage of entries.

Silverstone: 25/26 May
    Spa: 25/27 July
    Brands Hatch: 10/11 August
    Nurburgring: 21/22 September

At least the races will have live TV coverage, with the exception of Brands Hatch.

Full details:

http://www.formula3.co/news/four-key-dates-in-revised-cooper-tires-british-f3-international-series-for-2013

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sad news! Reigning champion Jack Harvey was also disappointed:

the_sigman
    Participant

British F3 with two rounds in the Britain of so many circuits? :(

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Depressing news from British F3 today – the calendar has been drastically cut back to just four triple-header rounds, due to a shortage of entries.

And yet MSV have launched Formula 4 as a feeder category.

I suppose that since Formula 2 folded, they’ve got to find some way to waste money.

Nick
    Participant

That is pretty sad news. British F1 was televised here by Motors TV and I saw some pretty good racing the last 2 years. I hope this alarms the FIA and a certain mister Berger to make haste with their plan to unify feeder categories, before all of them die out..

Tyler
    Participant

It seems that Red Bull have abandoned the British F3 championship as one of the development series for their Red Bull Junior Team. The path followed by Alguersuari, Ricciardo and Vergne was FR 2.0, then British F3, then FR 3.5.

Of the current batch, Sainz Jr has moved from last year’s British F3 to GP3, and Kvyat (having competed in FR 2.0 the last two seasons) will be joining him. da Costa will return to FR 3.5, so obviously that remains the final stepping stone, from Red Bull’s perspective, prior to F1.

Whether Red Bull was motivated to leave the British F3 championship by the declining depth and standard of the series, because of the increased power levels which the 2013 GP3 cars will enjoy, or a combination of both, is unclear. Whatever the explanation, I’d be surprised if Red Bull junior drivers returned to British F3 at any time in the near future.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.