Formula Three

British Formula Three round 3: Brands Hatch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    wsrgo
    Participant

The third round of the 2013 British F3 season will be held this weekend at the Brands Hatch circuit. Carlin have announced a mega 5-car lineup for this round, with Formula Renault 3.5 regular and last year’s British F3 runner-up Jazeman Jaafar of Malaysia returning for a one-off with his former employees Carlin.
    William Buller of Fortec Motorsports (also plying his trade in Formula Renault 3.5 with Zeta Corse) currently leads the championship.

wsrgo
    Participant

First practice session saw a Carlin 1-2-3-4 with F3 returnee Jazeman Jaafar ahead of Euro F3 regulars Jordan King, Nicholas Latifi and Jann Mardenborough. Session was interrupted by three red flags periods, one of which was caused by Jaafar himself.

The second practice saw Jordan King on top ahead of Antonio Giovinazzi of Double R and Jazeman Jaafar in third. This session was punctuated by two red flag periods.King’s 1:18.7 was the quickest time of the day…F3 Open regular Ed Jones topped the times for the National Class in both sessions.

The weather was cloudy, with the track wet and damp..

wsrgo
    Participant

Qualifying results:
    1. Jazeman Jaafar (Carlin)
    2. Jordan King (Carlin)
    3. Nicholas Latifi (Carlin)
    4. Jann Mardenborough (Carlin)
    5. Antonio Giovinazzi (Double R)
    6. Felipe Guimaraes (Fortec)
    7. Will Buller (Fortec)
    8. Sean Gelael (Double R)
    9. Tatiana Calderon (Double R)
    10. Ed Jones (West-Tec) [National Class]
    11. Li Zhi Cong (Carlin)
    12. Sun Zheng (CF) [National Class]
    13. Cameron Twynham (West-Tec) [National Class]
    14. Chris Vlok (West-Tec) [National Class]

the_sigman
    Participant

Thanks @wsrgo!

wsrgo
    Participant

@sigman1998 You’re welcome!!

wsrgo
    Participant

Race 1 results (International Class):
    2. Jordan King (Carlin)
    3. Antonio Giovinazzi (Double R)
    4. Nicholas Latifi (Carlin)
    5. Jann Mardenborough (Carlin)
    6. William Buller (Fortec)
    7. Felipe Guimaraes (Fortec)
    8. Tatiana Calderon (Double R)
    9. Li Zhi Cong (Carlin)
    Did not finish: Sean Gelael (Double R)

Race 1 results (National Class):
    1. Sun Zheng(CF)
    2. Cameron Twynham (West-Tec)
    3. Chris Vlok (West-Tec)
    Did not finish: Ed Jones (West-Tec)

wsrgo
    Participant

Tomorrow’s Race 2 will be a reversed-grid race with 8th-placed Tatiana Calderon on pole..

wsrgo
    Participant

Race 2 results (International Class)
    1. Felipe Guimaraes (Fortec)
    2. Antonio Giovinazzi (Double R)
    3. Jazeman Jaafar (Carlin)
    4. Jordan King (Carlin)
    6. Sean Gelael (Double R)
    7. Tatiana Calderon (Double R)
    8. Will Buller (Fortec)
    9. Nicholas Latifi (Carlin)
    10. Li Zhi Cong (Carlin)

1. Ed Jones (West-Tec)
    2. Sun Zheng (CF)
    3. Cameron Twynham (West-Tec)
    Did not finish: Chris Vlok (West-Tec)

Fun fact: Will Buller jumped the start in both Race 1 and Race 2…:P

wsrgo
    Participant

Race 3 results (International Class)
    2. Jordan King (Carlin)
    3. Nicholas Latifi (Carlin)
    4. Felipe Guimaraes (Fortec)
    6. Sean Gelael (Double R)
    7. Tatiana Calderon (Double R)
    8. Li Zhi Cong (Carlin)
    9. Will Buller (Fortec)
    Did not finish: Antonio Giovinazzi (Double R)

1. Ed Jones (West-Tec)
    2. Cameron Twynham (West-Tec)
    3. Chris Vlok (West-Tec)
    Did not finish: Sun Zheng (CF)

wsrgo
    Participant

Race 2 results (International Class):
    [A slight modification due to Buller and Latifi’s 30 second penalties being overturned]
    1. Felipe Guimaraes (Fortec)
    2. Antonio Giovinazzi (Double R)
    3. Jazeman Jaafar (Carlin)
    4. Will Buller (Fortec)
    5. Jordan King (Carlin)
    6. Jann Mardenborough (Carlin)
    7. Nicholas Latifi (Carlin)
    8. Sean Gelael (Double R)
    9. Tatiana Calderon (Double R)
    10. Li Zhi Cong (Carlin)

wsrgo
    Participant

CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS [INTERNATIONAL CLASS]
    (After three rounds)….
    1. Jordan King ….116
    2. Will Buller ….112
    3. Antonio Giovinazzi ….97
    4. Felipe Guimaraes….75
    5.Nicholas Latifi….67
    6. Sean Gelael ….65
    7. Jann Mardenborough….64
    8. Jazeman Jaafar ….58
    9. Tatiana Calderon….58
    10. Felix Serralles ….15

CHAMPIONSHIP STANDINGS [NATIONAL CLASS]
    1. Sun Zheng ….144
    2. Ed Jones….101
    3. Cameron Twynham ….83
    4. Chris Vlok ….73
    5. Jordan Oon ….45
    6. Roberto La Rocca ….33
    7. Liam Venter ….23
    8. Sean Walkinshaw ….20
    9. Huan Zhu ….19

The next and final round of the British Formula Three championship will be held at the Nurburgring on the 21st-22nd September weekend.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I can’t help but think that if King wins the championship, with his father’s job as Sainsbury CEO and reputed links to F1 in a post-Bernie era, that he will be well placed to move forwards to GP3, GP2, F1…

Buller I think needs the win, to keep momentum up in his career, don’t know how he is managing to double F3 and GP3/FR3.5, he must have some great backing or links with the Carlin team. Maybe a similar situation to Yelloly, who has been unlucky in GP3 this year. I’m surprised Jaafar didn’t double up and have another shot at winning the championship, from the looks of this race he probably could have and that would have helped him in his links with Petronas Mercedes F1. Maybe a test driver there in a few more years.

I’m glad that Palmer has suggested some areas where the series can try and revive itself, which sound very sensible. FIA have pushed their own continental series/federations forwards, British F3 will have to step back and fill the niche. Old cars and lower prices, full races and use all the British tracks and Spa and we’ll have a healthy championship, just like a few years ago, back on our hands. With F4 coming in (most likely old F. Ford after negotiations and some cost cuts, alongside a cheaper F. Renault 2.0, 1.6) we will have a good single seater ladder again in the UK, hopefully linked to British GT/BTCC.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I’m thinking: Silverstone, Brands Hatch, Donington Park, Oulton Park, Snetterton, Rockingham, Thruxton, Croft and of course overseas to Spa. If Monza can fit in too that would be awesome, but that’s something to work on later on. There’s also other UK tracks if need be, like Knockhill, Castle Combe, Mallory Park, Anglesey.

wsrgo
    Participant

@fastiesty

Buller I think needs the win, to keep momentum up in his career, don’t know how he is managing to double F3 and GP3/FR3.5, he must have some great backing or links with the Carlin team.

He’s given up on FIA F3, his last round of participation was at Spielberg. And he isn’t doing GP3 this year. While it is surprising to see him do a British F3/Formula Renault 3.5 double, he probably has no real links with Carlin, seeing as he drivers in British F3 with rival squad Fortec, a team with which he also did a couple of rounds in FIA F3, though he started the year with T-Sport/Nissan outfit.

I’m surprised Jaafar didn’t double up and have another shot at winning the championship, from the looks of this race he probably could have and that would have helped him in his links with Petronas Mercedes F1.

Jaafar has done 3 years of British F3 (2010-2012) already, with his best result coming last year when he finished runner-up to Jack Harvey. Maybe he thought the time was ripe to make a move upwards to FR3.5, and he did so.

With F4 coming in (most likely old F. Ford after negotiations and some cost cuts, alongside a cheaper F. Renault 2.0, 1.6)

Next year, it threatens to become a problem of plenty. While the old Intersteps championship is dead, there are still at least four entry-level formulae in UK next year. The BRDC Formula 4 started this year, they already have the Protyre Formula Renault 2.0 (the erstwhile Formula Renault BARC championship), which is being made a substitute for the now-dead Formula Renault 2.0 UK, Formula Ford looks set to become an FIA-recognised F4 series from next year, and the new Formula Renault 1.6 UK is starting from 2014 too. In my mind, that’s too many series at that level, especially when you look across to other countries, which generally have just one F4 level series: ADAC Formel Masters (Germany), French F4 (France), Formula Abarth (Italy), Formula Renault 1.6 Sweden (Scandinavia as a whole), Formula Renault 1.6 NEC (Beneluxia) etc. So are we wanting quality British drivers to come up? Or are we just wanting more and more British drivers?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Oh – I’m getting confused here haha. Yes, it was FIA F3 he called quits on. Dunno how I got Fortec and Carlin mixed up, lol, maybe from nationality. I agree on Jaafar – he must have discounted a fourth year in the series, especially when it looked weak pre-season, and FR3.5 is enough to try and adapt to full time. In 2014/15 he will probably be closer to the front there as he develops his speed in the car.

It’s true actually on the competition at that level. We really need them to stick together and have a full calendar with lots of cars (F4 looks packed, I saw Fittipaldi has a win and Morris has lots of seconds but still isn’t leading the championship yet), or spread out a bit and make a proper ladder with low costs so the drivers actually develop very well (if the competition won’t already make that happen!). Why exactly is FR 1.6 coming in to the fore? Direct competition to F.Ford and BRDC F4? Or is it that the BARC FR ladder is going to have two levels to compete with F.Ford and BRDC?

As long as they can all stay cheap and engender competition, with only the best moving forwards to British F3 (if that perishes then the ladder leads nowhere, only into European series) and up to Europe then the problem of plenty shouldn’t be too much and everyone has had more of a chance to see if they can cut it before moving to an ultra expensive series. But I can see costs rising in a few of the series – FIA F4, as they redo all the cars – while others remain cheap – BRDC F4 and BARC FR 2.0/1.6. I’m amazed that Auto GP can continue on from Italian F3000, given how similar levels in all the other countries have dropped out, leaving GP3, GP2 and F1 as the final steps on the ladder with a side ladder of FR 3.5 for a viable alternative.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.