Formula Three

Moscow Euro F3 round ditched for Algarve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

The Moscow round of the European F3 championship has been cut from the calendar and replaced by a new event supporting the Blancpain GT series at the Autodromo Internacional do Algarve.

“Due to the huge logistical efforts and the accordingly high travel expenses, teams had asked for the event to be reconsidered,” said a press release from the championship. “The organisers have accepted this request.”

From a racing point of view, this has to be a change for the better. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good race on the Moscow Raceway, but Portugal’s Algarve circuit is about as good as modern tracks get – fast, flowing and undulating. I’m looking forward to seeing the F3 cars in action there.

andae23
    Participant

I think this may also be a result of the organisers of the Zandvoort Masters race complaining about the lack of starters last year. In 2014, the Russian F3 round was just one week after the Masters, so many teams decided not to bother with it and head straight for Moscow. Van Amersfoort Racing was one of the few teams that did run at Zandvoort, and apparently they had to drive the truck day and night to get to Moscow in time.

Regarding the Moscow track itself, glad it’s gone. Not the worst lay-out in the world, but it has some of the weakest run-off areas, which led to loads of penalties for ‘leaving the track and gaining an advantage’.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

A big plus for the racing and championship costs.. I wonder if this could be an indication of things to come. Russia’s economy is under huge pressure, and now Bernie is changing the F1 calendar to squeeze some races… a lost Russian race could easily be backed up by a Qatar race, at the risk of irritating the Bahraini ruling family.

WSR moved back to Silverstone.. seeing the huge crowds attending F1, I wonder if DTM might do the same? It’s only Touring cars or GT left racing at the circuit now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.